Welcome on the main page of MRI (The Maps.Refuges.Info rendering, former name was openhikingmap but since the URL to see it did not contain that name, people were confused), an online slippy map based on openstreetmap data (of course !) I (sletuffe) am working on, targetting hikers.
The first usable version was online around november 2008 and I'm continuously working on style upgrade, more coverage and bug fixing.
It is located at maps.refuges.info
Warning :Since August 2012 tiles address has changed due to mod_tile switching. (Old tiles's urls are redirected with an http 301; but this will stop working one day and it is advised to update your software with the new URL)
Status of the maps.refuges.info service
- 2014-01-14 : server up and running but database is late by more than a month
(by the way, the db date can be seen in real time on the bottom of the page)
Due to server limitations, it only covers :
- Europe bbox : An area from 25°W to 45°E and from 33°N to 72°N (due to server restrictions)
What's in there
- sac_scale=* is used with 3 levels (nothing-t1-t2 or t3-t4 or t5-t6). smaller the dash are, harder it is !
- trail_visibility=* is used with 2 levels (below intermediate or over bad) (some sort of red and some sort of salmon )
- smoothness=* is used on tracks only. Support for use by unknown, car, off roads vehicle, off highway vehicles
- using highway=path path is rendered the same as footway in my styles
- boundary=protected_area is rendererd with a green border for protect_id 1 to 4
- Contours, hillshading and elevation color is now done based on ASTER data set
- WARNING Data elevation model from ASTER is approximative and often wrong in mountains by a hundred meters, do not use it to place summits and do not trust it too much !
- Support for some extra POI with ele=* : tourism=viewpoint, natural=peak, natural=spring, mountain_pass=*, amenity=drinking_water tourism=alpine_hut tourism=wilderness_hut tourism=information place=locality place=isolated_dwelling
- Support for a lot of landcover surfaces ( landuse=meadow/grass/grassland/forest/wood/residential natural=grassland/wetland/rock/scree/heath/scrub/glacier/water/beach)
- Covering almost all europe from zoom 0 to zoom 17
- Map should, hopefully be almost up to date (last DB update is written down the page) and tiles are regenerated as needed, however expect frequent 24 hours late
- My improvement/suggestions/evolution page is Talk:Hiking/mri
Can it be used freely on another website/application ?
- Since 2011-07-26, due to increasing mass dowload applications targeting and hampering the mri server I had to take measures in order to give priority to "browsing users". The current enforced limit is that asking more than 600 not allready rendered tiles or 4000 tiles (in cache or not) in a day will get you banned until next day. I am sad to take such measures which could well lead to collateral damage but unfortunetly I haven't a strong enough server to handle that CPU load. (It has nothing to do with network bandwidth so offering cache space/proxy thing won't help much in this case)
- Since 2011-11-01 When your day quota is exceeded, the serveur sends the following tile to inform you with a HTTP 403 error, so apps developpers can take advantage of this to avoid stroring a bad tile in the local cache (if any)
- Since 2012-08-25 : I changed to mod_tile and the mass downloading users are not blocked anymore but slown down if they reach 1000 requested tiles
note : I used to provide jpeg tiles, but texts weren't very readable, so I changed my mind and now provide png tiles (bigger, but nicer). Still providing jpeg tiles could be nice but require more server power, maybe, one day.
Not osm related, but there also is an acces to only contours and color-shading of slopes here :
In the talk page please. (The talk page is in my watch list, and I'll receive an email telling me that you want to contact me, watch out that if you checked the "minor" flag in your wiki comment I won't receive anything )
You can also reach me on the (non dedicated to MRI) mailing list of the OpenHiking project. (This is a more general mailing list project about hiking and maps)
The setup to reach this is by following
- Mapnik for the rendering
- Minutely Mapnik to have an up to date database
- Shaded relief maps using mapnik for contours and hillshading
- It was
Based on Howto_real_time_rendering_with_mapnik_and_mod_python but with conditionnal caching system as it was impossible to manage for high traffic volum. This is strongly based on the idea of the OpenPisteMap system, but with different tools and a slight variation sletuffe 15:05, 7 August 2009 (UTC)
- Now it uses the more common mod_tile workflow
If you are searching for the styles I use, they are freely available here  (The password inside the xml is to be replaced by your own, don't worry for me, this password isn't usable for anything but a local postgres access)
- OSM data layer are generated on demand if not in cache, so taking long in new visited areas
- OSM data old tiles from zoom 13 to zoom 18 are regenerated every time the database is updated in the area if the server as low load
- When a change in my styles occurs, everything is slooowly regenerated (1 month or more) so expect different tiles have different visuals
- The hill-shading-colored part is done with a custom C program created by Stéphane Brunner, its source code is available here :