|Indicate if a special place can be used with wheelchairs.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag may be used to mark places or ways that are suitable to be used with a wheelchair and a person with a disability who uses another mobility device (like a walker). It should only be used if you are sure about it, this can either be because there's a special sign or because of personal experience/someone with a wheelchair told you. There are also a lot of other tags that can help to determine if the way is suitable for wheelchairs. If you are unsure, give more information in description=* or wheelchair:description:lang=*.
- 1 Common values
- 2 Examples
- 3 Example pictograms
- 4 Data sources
- 5 Rendering
- 6 See Also
Wheelchairs have full unrestricted access. Use this tag to mark a feature in the United States as compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- entry: stepless
- rooms: stepless
Wheelchairs have partial access (e.g some areas can be accessed and others not, areas requiring assistance by someone pushing up a steep gradient).
- entry: has a step but not higher than 7 cm / 3 inch ('width of a hand')
- rooms: the most important rooms are stepless
Wheelchairs have no unrestricted access (e.g. stair only access).
- entry: has a step higher than 7 cm / 3 inch
- rooms: the important rooms are not accessible
The way or area is designated or purpose built for wheelchairs (e.g. elevators designed for wheelchair access only). This is rarely used.
Note: There is currently no default value for wheelchair access. The wheelchair=no tag should be used to explicitly indicate a way is not accessible.
- if there are stairs and there is no ramp.
One may use also ramp:wheelchair=*.
(Hint: Always think of heavy electric wheelchairs that can not pass any steps.)
- wheelchair=yes (if there is a high level kerb or all bus routes at all times have a ramp or lift.)
- wheelchair=limited (if some routes or at some times busses with ramps or lifts stop here. Give more information in the wheelchair:description=* tag.)
- if you have to ask for help or a key, or if not all theaters are reachable without steps. Give more information in the description key.
- wheelchair:description:en=also offer wheelchair-accessible guided tour
There are two kind of toilets:
Toilet that belongs to an amenity or a building
E.g. The toilet in a restaurant.
The location has one or more toilets which is accessible for wheelchair users.
The criteria for acceptable accessibility:
- Doorway’s inner width min. 90 cm
- Clear space min. 150 x 150 cm
- Wheelchair-height toilet seat
- Folding grab rails
- Accessible hand basin
The location does not have a toilet which is accessible for wheelchair users.
E.g. Toilet which is provided by public authorities, for example in the park.
- wheelchair=yes (if these are fully equipped with handrail, no steps, wide door etc. Also use yes if you only need to ask for a key)
- wheelchair=limited (if the doors are wide and no steps)
- wheelchair=no (if doors are not at least 60cm wide, if there are steps, if there are narrow curves or other barriers)
- wheelchair:description:en=describe limits here
Public transport routes
- wheelchair=yes (if all of the vehicles on the route can carry wheelchair)
- wheelchair=limited (if some of the vehicles on the route can carry wheelchair)
- wheelchair=no (if none of the vehicles on the route can carry wheelchair)
- wheelmap - wheelmap.org Who take only wheelchair=* and not capacity:disabled=* another project to show wheelchair accessibility information on a map
- OSM Query General POI finder. Wheelchair=yes and wheelchair=limited are rendered with icons.
- Proposed features/DisabilityDescription - for adding descriptions of special relevance to disabled persons.
- Proposed features/Steps features
- Category:Walking Disability
- Approved features/wheelchair
- Wheelchair routing (for example mentions tags Key:incline, Key:surface, Key:smoothness and Key:width for tagging some physical way properties which could also be relevant for wheelchair accessibility) and the German project DE:Rollstuhlfahrer-Routing
- capacity:disabled=* provide capacity info for disabled people