|man_made = water_tap|
|Publicly usable water tap|
|Group: man made|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A water tap is a man-made construction providing access to water, supplied by water distribution system (unlike in case of man_made=water_well, where groundwater may be used directly). Taps are suitable for refilling bottles, so bottle_refill=yes should be assumed. The tag man_made=water_tap is used for publicly usable water taps, such as those in the cities and graveyards.
Water taps may provide potable and technical water, which can be specified with drinking_water=yes and drinking_water=no. man_made=water_tap can be used to describe water point (also commonly called drinking water) more in detail.
- man_made=water_well A man made excavation in the ground to gain water from an aquifer.
- man_made=drinking_fountain Provides a small jet of drinking water.
- natural=spring Water flowing out of the ground. May have a fountain built around it (see Roman Bath in Bath, U.K).
public press button water tap, Florence, Italy
This 'bubbler' is also considered by some as water tap as it is activated by its user. This is controversial as the 'tap' component is a valve that also occurs in amenity=shower and there is no suggestion that showers need to be mapped as a 'tap'. Some consider this would be better mapped as man_made=drinking_fountain particularly as 'bubbler' is not British English and only used in some locations none of which are entire countries.
Classic public water tap, Le Mont-Saint-Michel, France. For working one additional tags fitting it would be fountain=drinking and amenity=drinking_water. Stevea says yes to amenity=drinking_water but no to fountain=drinking because of the downward-pointing spout. If there were such a tag as water_fixture=hose_bib it would apply here. (I'm trying to share my knowledge of English about these things).
Drinking water signs
Not drinking water signs
- Proposal page
- on Wikipedia
- amenity=water_point -for 'large amounts' of water e.g. to a caravan.
- waterway=water_point - for 'large amounts' of water to a boat.
- amenity=drinking_water - non specific other than 'drinking'. Could be a tap or something else.
- handle=* - specify type of handle used to activate/regulate water flow
- fountain=bottle_refill - Indicates whether a water bottle can easily be filled.