|Description of a (possible) error in the map.|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 1|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
|If you are looking for an easy way to add your bug report, you can also use Notes.|
The fixme key allows contributors to mark objects and places that need further attention. These can be in the form of a "note to self" or request for additional mapping resources.
You should not use it for errors that can be be automatically detected by error detection tools.
After the fixme task has been completely solved, the fixme tag should be deleted, preferably in the same changeset as the fix. The changeset comment can document what happened "fixme task solved", potentially with more detail about the solution.
- comment=* — for adding text describing the changeset to other mappers.
- description=* — for adding text that might be viewable to the end user.
- note=* — A note to yourself or to other mappers.
- source=* — For indicating the source of unconfirmed data
A way with
- highway=residential together with
- fixme=this section of highway ABCD added from memory, add a gpx trace and adjust
A node or way in an interchange with
- fixme=This interchange is complete with the exception of the SB to WB ramp to Highway ABCD. Would an OSM commuter who takes that ramp trace it please?
An otherwise untagged way surrounding some part of a town with
- fixme=resurvey names in this area, entered from memory
An otherwise untagged node with
- fixme=this area has some missing streets
when a surrounding way cannot be drawn (due to not knowing how far the problem extends)
|amenity=place_of_worship with fixme=yes||It is unclear what the mapper should check.||amenity=place_of_worship with fixme=check if evangelical or lutheran|
|tourism=museum with note=FIXME||What are the problems?||tourism=museum with fixme=check the name, I found two|
|A missing tag that is expected in a combination such as a name on a street, tracktype on a track, etc. I forgot to check name/tracktype/x can someone go there and check that ?||Other mappers already know the tag x is missing because there is no tag x! If you desperately want to fix tag x, go back there! Spamming the fixmes with "please improve this place" will probably reach the opposite goal where mappers are going to get the alert tools spammed!||If found, delete the fixme ;-)|
This is not a tag for robots nor for any automated edits
This page says The fixme key allows contributors to mark objects (…). Here "contributors" means "human" contributors with "manual" contributions. We wouldn't want automatic bot editing and adding a mass of fixme everywhere to flood other interesting "fixme" requests of other mappers.
Automated data checks and error detections are useful, but are better presented as an overlay in a separate tool. We already have many Quality Assurance tools which do this, and many which handle a range of different classes of error. For example a new type of error can be added to Osmose or JOSM/Validator or perhaps set up as a new challenge in MapRoulette.
Some imports, for better or worse, were imported despite their data quality and marked for manual recheck. Following tags are effectively a special fixmes:
- Statistics for "fixme" tag (in lowercase) (at Openstreetmap taginfo)
- Taglocator displays markers for objects with a fixme tag (Choose "Various" layer -> fixme ) Example on London
- layers.openstreetmap.fr - Shows fixme's texts on a map e.g. Doesn't work with uppercase FIXME
- Keep right - Violet zig-zags with mouseover bubbles e.g.
- OSM Inspector - Shows ways & nodes as blue icons + text when zoomed in. e.g.
- JOSM/Validator includes a test for fixmes (when WARNINGS are enabled) and displays an icon on nodes tagged with fixme.
- OsmAnd has a "OSM Mapper assistant" option that (among other things) draws fixme tags. It can be found under "Configure Map" -> "Details". This works with the default style, but not necessarily other map styles.
- Vespucci marks object that need review with pink color - including places with fixme=*