|service = driveway|
|Specifies that a road is a driveway, typically leading to a residence or business|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A driveway is a minor service road leading to a specific property. It typically branches from a bigger road and leads toward an entrance to a specific destination (building, etc.). It may end at or pass the entrance, but either way, it gets close to its destination. It is rare for a driveway to be the way to access another roadway (but see Pipestems below).
Driveway will typically lead to residence or business but may lead also to research institute, court, military installation, construction site or an abandoned property.
- Primarily provides direct access to a house, garage, or carport; a small number of parking spots may be available for occupants
- Primarily provides space for picking up and dropping off passengers – also use covered=yes if it passes under a porte-cochère
- Leads to a loading dock (amenity=loading_dock) or dumpster (amenity=waste_disposal), potentially from a parking lot – however, service=alley may be more appropriate in some cases
When not to use service=driveway tag:
- Generally speaking, in or around a parking lot (amenity=parking) – use highway=service without service=* on the entrance and exit ways, as well as any way that forms the "trunk" or perimeter of the lot, connecting multiple parking aisles (service=parking_aisle)
- A drive-through for picking up or dropping off goods – use service=drive-through
A driveway may be covered by a porte-cochère
A pipestem or shared driveway leads away from a main road toward several houses, each with their own shorter driveways. Pipestems are common in rural areas and planned suburban residential developments in the United States. Maintenance of the pipestem is typically the joint responsibility of all the homeowners of that particular pipestem. Pipestems may be named, but historically they have typically been unnamed. As of 2019, most pipestems are simply tagged highway=service with no service=* tag. However, some mappers tag pipestems explicitly, either using service=driveway driveway=pipestem or service=pipestem.