|service = driveway|
|A driveway is a service road leading to a residence or business|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A driveway is a minor service road leading to a residential or business property.
- Primarily provides direct access to a house, garage, or carport; a small number of parking spots may be available for occupants
- Primarily provides space for picking up and dropping off passengers – also use covered=yes if it passes under a porte-cochère
- Leads to a loading dock (amenity=loading_dock), potentially from a parking lot – however, service=alley may be more appropriate in some cases
A driveway may be covered by a porte-cochère
When not to use this tag:
- Generally speaking, in or around a parking lot (amenity=parking) – use highway=service without service=* on the entrance and exit ways, as well as any way that forms the "trunk" or perimeter of the lot, connecting multiple parking aisles (service=parking_aisle)
- A drive-through for picking up or dropping off goods – use service=drive-through
Pipestems or shared driveways are common in planned residential developments in the United States, where a number of houses are located off a road (pipestem), each with their own driveways. These roads often end in a "cul-de-sac"/highway=turning_circle. Maintenance of the pipestem is typically the joint responsibility of all the homeowners of that particular pipestem. Pipestems aren't roads with a name. Some have tagged pipestems with this tag as well as driveway=pipestem; others have used service=pipestem instead.