The following is a proposal to put this service variety into tags:
- sale=yes/brand/used/no/... - sells whole motorcycles
- rental=yes/brand/no/... - motorcycle rental
- repair=yes/brand/oldtimer/no/... - repairs / maintains motorcycles
- safety_inspection=yes/no - inspection of safety/emission regulation conformance
- parts=yes/brand/oldtimer/no/... - sells motorcycle parts
- clothes=yes/brand/no/... - sells motorcycle clothes / equipment
- scooters=yes/no/only - to distinguish scooter shops, very useful in Asia
- services=... - other services this shop offers
- These SHOULD be proposed on the tagging group!!! Not proposed on a wiki page.
- All shop sell things. Being able to add detail to ALL of them in a logical, organised way that uses the same system for ALL of them would be best.
- 'sale' is usually taken to mean a special event with lower prices, not a regular thing. 'sells' would be better?
- See tagging group thread with subject "JOSM preset with strange tag values" for more. Warin61 (talk) 04:03, 3 March 2016 (UTC)
- Regarding service:*=* , there's already an accepted proposal for the services of shop=bicycle : https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dbicycle#Additional_keys But this doesn't work for everything mentioned above, as some aren't services.
- An (non-service) example which is relevant due to the number of affected entities :
- To distinguish between a motorcycle dealer which also sells clothes=* and a shop which (only) sells motorcycle clothes. As of the current documentation, it would be tagged as shop=motorcycle and clothes=motorcycle. IMHO it wouldn't be elegant to say the pure clothes shops should remove the shop=motorcycle tag (as it is a shop, and usually also sells accessories, so not just a shop=clothes). It would be possible to distinguish it with a sales=* tag or motorcycle:sales=clothes/accessories/motorbikes/scooter... (If there are no motorcycles/scooters, it's just a motorcycle clothes shop).
- repair=* currently got 2 514 entries according to taginfo. On the other hand, according to the "bicycle" system, it should be service:motorcycle:repair=* (most of the existing "repair" entries are for other kind of shops). The necessity of "service:bicycle/motorcycle" isn't quite clear, except if a shop sells both and just got service for one of them. But motorcycle:repair=yes or alternatively shop=motorcycle combined with repair=yes seems more elegant to me (what is the "service:" part good for ?) rtfm Rtfm (talk) 15:51, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- the 'services' tag has no clear meaning. I believe it is a 'catch all' meant for anything that does not fit any of the mentioned categories. Anything that does not match the given tags should get a new tag that matches what it is. As such I would not use the tag 'services'.Warin61 (talk) 21:45, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
Sells not Sale
Please use 'sells' not 'sale'! In common English the word 'sale' is taken to mean a special event where goods are sold at a reduced price. The word 'sells' would make much more sense in the context of an shop. Warin61 (talk) 21:36, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
Repair vs Service
An explanation for motorcycles.
Repair is to fix something that is broken. Example, fixing a punctured tyre.
Service is to maintain something that is working - to ensure its long life. Example, a change of engine oil.
- Think this might be difficult to distinguish in case of any garage. So repair would include service. In case of a station, they possibly just got service. But the term "service" is already taken by service=*, so motorcycle:service=oil_change would possibly be irritating ? rtfm Rtfm (talk) 22:02, 10 March 2017 (UTC)