|The prefix for several contact:* keys to describe contacts. Should not be used as a key.|
|Used on these elements|
contact: taginfo contact:*
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
The prefix for several contact:*=* keys to describe contacts.
You should only add contact information to POIs and not to any private address!
Email-addresses which are only available on a website after solving a captcha, or which are in other ways obfuscated to protect against SPAM-bots should not be tagged in OSM. The same applies to fax and phone numbers.
What is used here: Phone and fax number format (): +<country_code> <national_destination_code> <subscriber_number>-<direct_inward_dialing>
|contact:phone||+44 11223 456-789||phone number (phone=*.)format: +<country_code> <national_destination_code> <subscriber_number>-<direct_inward_dialing>). See also more popular|
|contact:mobile||+44 11223 456-789||separate mobile phone number. The more general tag contact:phone=* should be preferred|
|contact:fax||+44 11223 456-789||fax number (fax=*).format: +<country_code> <national_destination_code> <subscriber_number>-<direct_inward_dialing>) . See also more popular|
|contact:tty||+44 11223 456-789||tty (Teletypewriter) number|
|contact:website||http://example.com||Website-url (see also more popular website=*)|
|contact:email@example.com||E-mail address (see also more popular email=*)|
Social media, messengers, web services
|contact:facebook||full facebook URL||Facebook profile - preferably the full URL (because there are many different kinds of pages in facebook), though simply the public username is also used. (see also facebook=*)|
|contact:vk||VK.com||VK link to social network service|
|contact:instagram||Username||Instagram account name or full URL|
|contact:twitter||@OpenStreetMap||Twitter account name or full URL (see also twitter=*)|
|contact:youtube||Youtube account/channel URL||YouTube URL of account or channel officially used by the POI. Sometimes only the YouTube username is indicated.|
|contact:ok||ok URL||ok link to social network service.|
|contact:webcam||webcam URL||For denoting a webcam's location, use a node with the tag surveillance:type=camera. See Also Webcams for more information|
|contact:telegram||https://t.me/Example or Telegram number||Telegram account name or full URL or Telegram number officially used by the POI.|
|contact:whatsapp||WhatsApp number||WhatsApp number officially used by the POI.|
|contact:linkedin||Username||LinkedIn account name or full URL|
|contact:pinterest||Pinterest URL||Pinterest URL officially used by the POI.|
|contact:viber||+44 11223 456-789||Viber account name (phone number) or full URL|
|contact:foursquare||https://foursquare.com/v/Example||Foursquare account name (hash) or full URL|
|contact:skype||SkypeName||Skype login name|
|contact:xing||Username||XING account name or full URL|
|contact:vhf||VHF Channel or Frequency||Of interest for maritime and airport services|
|contact:flickr||Flickr URL||Flickr URL. Similar to all others, this is where the POI can be officially contacted, or where they broadcast information. This should not point to a self-taken photo depicting the POI.|
|contact:firstname.lastname@example.org||Mastodon social network handle or full URL|
|contact:email@example.com||Diaspora social network handle or full URL|
|contact:firstname.lastname@example.org||GNU Social social network handle or full URL|
|contact:user_defined||user defined||All commonly used namespace keys according to Taginfo|
|contact:housenumber||housenumber||For use when the contact address is not the same as the address of the physical location. (Status: "draft" )
For denoting the housenumber where a POI is located, see also addr:housenumber=*
|contact:street||street name||For use when the contact address is not the same as the address of the physical location.
For denoting the street name where a POI is located, see also addr:street=*
|contact:postcode||postcode||For use when the contact address is not the same as the address of the physical location.
For denoting the postcode number where a POI is located, see also addr:postcode=*
|contact:city||city name||For use when the contact address is not the same as the address of the physical location.
For denoting the city name where a POI is located, see also addr:city=*
|contact:pobox||Post Box Number||Companies and organizations sometimes have a Post Office Box (P.O. Box/ PO Box) to send mail to instead of to their physical address. See also addr:postbox=*|
This table is a wiki template with a default description in English. Editable here.
Existing tagging schemes
For the most common keys, the shorter version outside the 'contact' scheme is used more frequently: phone=*, fax=*, email=* and website=*, with other contact tags used rarely outside the namespace scheme. Both schemes have been in use for a long time and still exist in parallel. Many applications are able to use both of them.
At the same time a proposal to deprecate contact:phone=* was not successful - Discussions/tagging/contact:phone or phone. Idea of deprecating either tags without contact: prefix or ones with contact prefix is repeatedly suggested, often triggering huge discussion and ending with conclusion that there is no consensus. Please, read past discussion before starting a new one.
- phone=* - A telephone number associated with the object
- website=* - Specifying the link to the official website for a feature
- email=* - An email address associated with the object
- url=* - Specifying an url related to a feature
- fax=* - A fax number associated with the object
- Bremen Schema - A schema that proposes to add contact information about a POI to the node via using contact:* instead of adding addr:*
- Operator further details - subkeys used to add further detail about the operator
- emergency:phone=* - A phone number for emergencies associated with the object
- OpenLinkMap - A slippy map, making this tag's data available as clickable POIs
- JOSM preset
- wikipedia:Telephone numbering plan
- wikipedia:List of country calling codes
- wikipedia:E.164 (ITU-T recommendation on how to save phone numbers)
- OmniROM devs will use OSM phone numbers
- addr:*=* - The addr tag is the prefix for several addr:* keys to describe addresses
- https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-December/thread.html#49474 - December 2019 thread
- https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-August/thread.html#47668 August 2019 Thread
- https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-May/thread.html#52379 - May 2020 thread, over 50 messages
- https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2022-January/thread.html#63734 January 2022 thread