Proposed Features/Education Reform Alternative
|Proposal status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Applies to:||, ,|
|Definition:||A common tag for all educational institutions, e.g. universities, schools, kindergarten, but also the long discussed and never solved childcare, nursery, ...|
|Rendered as:||Same as previous tagging of respective institutions, exceptions below|
This is a spinoff from Education Reform.
The current situation on Education Features is described in this page: Education features, but most of the content is repeated here. There are a lot arguments for having a single tagging scheme for all educational facilities/institutions:
- There has been arguements not to make a amenity=* for everything that exists on the planet.
- There are currently several educational facilities not covered, e.g. nurseries (for the very young), childcare (after-school), ... which should from the start be in defined scheme, and not add several amenities more.
- There are often places where several educational institutions are under the same roof, which is not possible today.
Libraries are not included in this proposal.
Exhaustive list of wiki pages on education
Active key-tag combinations (formally accepted or implicitly by heavy use)
- amenity=school — became established in 2008; did not go through a formal proposal process
- amenity=kindergarten — became established in 2009; did not go through a formal proposal process (see proposal page history)
- amenity=university — approved in 2006 via university campus (tertiary education)
- amenity=college — approved in 2007 via College Campus (further education)
Some proposals were cited as active at the time this page was created, but are abandoned or rejected now.
Abandoned or rejected proposals
Nursery : Daytime care of very young children before they go to (pre-)school
Proposal Education Centre (Volkshochschule)
Some additional tags, which have been proposed but not yet voted/accepted:
- ISCED — proposed 2012; relates to education level associated with a school
- Trade school — proposed May 2012; "post-secondary, often private for-profit, training center for a specific trade"
To consider as well
Some facilities might be unclear if there social_facilities or educational_facilities. So this two tag-groups should clearly be delimited.
Features not covered by this proposal
This section was a leftover from former proposal.
Number of values for key "amenity"-values according to several countries:
|nursery||404||5||92||28||229||1||5||In GB, the website www.look4nurseries.co.uk indicates more than 1000 day nurseries|
|kindergarten||116 682||1 818||1 340||21451||3221||1643||1056||comments|
|school||567 667||194 783||25 384||35394||31207||3670||4499||comments|
|university||37 839||4 075||2 431||4578||1587||330||338||comments|
|college||24 909||2 122||1 454||918||1166||50||194||comments|
In F, there seem to be around 600 crèches mapped, most of them as "kindergarten". school:preschool_cycle = yes - 98 Dominikanische Republik
First ideas how the new education could be organized
Creation of new "education"-key
Most common education institutions:
- education=school - Schools and catch-all value for things not covered below
- education=nursery - Kindergartener and creches. Any kind of preschool education.
- education=driving - Driving education institutions(Driving schools aimed for commercial vehicle driving should be tagged education=specialty)
- education=university - Higher education institutions
- education=administrative - Educational administrative bodies (Educational directorates/ministries)
- education=religious - Religious education institutions
- education=test_office - Standardized tests offices, administrative building whose sole function is to govern and perform standardized tests such as centralised university entrance exams
- education=arts - Fine arts schoools including conservatoires
- education=sports - Schools focused on raising professional athletes
- education=testcenter - Standardized test centers, factory-like buildings whose sole function is to accomodate standardized tests such as centralised university entrance exams
- education=crafts - Crafts schools
- education=language - Language schools
- education=cram-school - Cram schools, cram schools may be rendered differently from academic schools
- education=vocational - Vocational schools
- education=graduate - Higher education institutions focused on graduate and post-graduate education
- education=applied_education - Non-school educational institutions focused on applied research of education. Many kinds of these exist.
This is inspired by arguments to avoid a ubiquitous use of the "amenity"-key and earlier attemps of Amenity Reorganization
Cram school vs specialty(crafts/language/arts) school
Many have asked on the mailing list how to distinguish a cram school and a specialty school. It is a very simple test:
- Specialty schools are schools focused on teaching a specialty, having actual academic objective and/or government recognized certificate.
- Cram schools are educational institutions focused on exam preparation and rapid teaching of a skill, having no other academic objective nor government recognized certificate. Most famous kinds of cram schools are language exam preparation schools, university exam preparatory schools with no academic objective, business skills schools with no government recognition (e.g. a software engineering bootcamp).
Vocational school vs crafts school
Crafts schools are post-primary or lifelong further education institutions. Vocational schools are post-secondary schools, including graduate (only use for graduate schools that only grants professional masters/doctorate degrees) education.
How to tag universities and mixed campuses in this scheme
The campus is tagged education=university. Sub-schools are tagged education=school+school_level=tertiary, education=graduate, education=vocational, education=specialty accordingly. All subschools and buildings of a university are now members of an university relation tagged type=site+education=university(university implies school_level=tertiary). This allows us to relate distant campuses and colleges of universities somehow. All University buildings having only administrative function should be tagged education=administrative, again being member of university relation. amenity=college is now obsolete as the scheme mentioned above enable finer-grained tagging.
How to tag individual schools in this scheme
Outer boundary of a school is tagged accordingly with education tag. Buildings do not have education key if building has the same function as tagged in the campus relation.
|optional||min_age=* and max_age=*||integer||The children age group(s) the institution covers. Example: min_age=0 and max_age=14|
|optional||capacity=*||integer||The maximum number of children the facility takes care of|
|optional||operator=*||string||The name of the operator|
|optional||operator:type=*||government/religious/private/cultural/volunteer||Type of the operator of the school|
|optional||education:status=*||public/government/religious/private/cultural||Operating regime of the school. This might be different from the actual status of the operator.|
|optional||cultural=*||*||In case of a cultural child care facility, further information about the culture/language can be added|
|optional||religion=*||*||In case of a religious child care facility, further information about the religion can be added|
|optional||service_times:childcare=*||<opening hours syntax>||The time children are taken care of. If service_times:childcare isn't tagged, the fallback value is the one tagged for opening_hours. service_times:childcare always has to be a subset of opening_hours=*. In case service_times:childcare are (wrongly) overlapping, opening_hours=* weights more. So if service_times:childcare states the facility is "open" and opening_hours states it is "closed", it can be interpreted as "closed" overall.|
|optional||opening_hours=*||<opening hours syntax>||The time the facility is opened. Not necessarily the same time as service_hours (For example different office hours).|
|optional||medium=*||face-to-face/postal/online||Is it a face-to-face school or a distance education institute?|
To indicate which groups of people could attend institution use education_for:*=yes. Main variants are shown in the table below.
|education_for:ages||to specify age needed for admission. E.g. education_for:ages=6-8, 21-25 for enrollees of ages 6 to 8 and 21 to 25.|
|education_for:disabled||people with disabilities|
Vote on the proposal
If the principle will be accepted, I will proceed to work on the details of the proposal and bring it eventually to a vote. So, NO VOTE on the proposal itself for the time being.
Vote on the individual proposals "nursery" and "childcare"
In case of rejection of the educational reform (either after the vote on the principle or the proposal itself), we will then reactivate the currently suspended proposals on "nursery" and "childcare", or maybe a modified/fused version of them.