Proposed Features/Education Reform
|Applies to:||, ,|
|Definition:||A common tag for all educational institutions, e.g. universities, schools, kindergarten, but also the long discussed and never solved childcare, nursery, ...|
- 1 Later education-related proposals
- 2 Key
- 3 Description
- 4 Exhaustive list of wiki pages on education
- 5 Some statistics on the current use of the tags
- 6 First ideas how the new education could be organized
- 7 Additional tags
- 8 Voting
After the draft of this page, the following education-related proposals were drafted:
The current situation on Education Features is described in this page: Education features, but most of the content is repeated here. There are a lot arguments for having a single tagging scheme for all educational facilities/institutions:
- There has been arguements not to make a amenity=* for everything that exists on the planet.
- There are currently several educational facilities not covered, e.g. nurseries (for the very young), childcare (after-school), ... which should from the start be in defined scheme, and not add several amenities more.
- There are often places where several educational institutions are under the same roof, which is not possible today.
Exhaustive list of wiki pages on education
Active key-tag combinations (formally accepted or implicitly by heavy use)
- amenity=school — became established in 2008; did not go through a formal proposal process
- amenity=kindergarten — became established in 2009; did not go through a formal proposal process (see proposal page history)
- amenity=university — approved in 2006 via university campus (tertiary education)
- amenity=college — approved in 2007 via College Campus (further education)
Some proposals were cited as active at the time this page was created, but are abandoned or rejected now.
Abandoned or rejected proposals
Nursery : Daytime care of very young children before they go to (pre-)school
Proposal Education Centre (Volkshochschule)
Some additional tags, which have been proposed but not yet voted/accepted:
- ISCED — proposed 2012; relates to education level associated with a school
- Trade school — proposed May 2012; "post-secondary, often private for-profit, training center for a specific trade"
To consider as well
Some facilities might be unclear if there social_facilities or educational_facilities. So this two tag-groups should clearly be delimited.
Features not covered by this proposal
IMHO, this features should not be covered by this proposal:
Driving school (seems to be another abandoned proposal)
- campus building — abandoned 2012 due to inactivity
- education centre — abandoned 2008 without explanation
- Pre-School (early childhood education) — abandoned 2012 due to inactivity
- Age_group=* age_group — proposed 2012; relates to the age of students at school, obsoleted by min_age=* and min_age=*
- childcare — rejected based on voting outcome, 2011
- research institution — rejected based on voting outcome, 2008
Features of unknown status
- school=* — wiki page created in 2009; >50% are used in combination with amenity=school
- school=blind — redirects to amenity=school
Number of values for key "amenity"-values according to several countries:
|nursery||404||5||92||28||229||1||5||In GB, the website www.look4nurseries.co.uk indicates more than 1000 day nurseries|
|kindergarten||116 682||1 818||1 340||21451||3221||1643||1056||comments|
|school||567 667||194 783||25 384||35394||31207||3670||4499||comments|
|university||37 839||4 075||2 431||4578||1587||330||338||comments|
|college||24 909||2 122||1 454||918||1166||50||194||comments|
In F, there seem to be around 600 crèches mapped, most of them as "kindergarten". school:preschool_cycle = yes - 98 Dominikanische Republik
First ideas how the new education could be organized
== Variante 2: creation of new "education"-key
This is inspired by arguments to avoid a ubiquitous use of the "amenity"-key and earlier attemps of Amenity Reorganization
|optional||min_age=* and min_age=*||integer||The children age group(s) the institution covers. Example: min_age=0 and max_age=14|
|optional||capacity=*||integer||The maximum number of children the facility takes care of|
|optional||operator=*||string||The name of the operator|
|optional||operator:type=*||school/government/religious/private/cultural||Additional values can be used if needed|
|optional||cultural=*||*||In case of a cultural child care facility, further information about the culture/language can be added|
|optional||religion=*||*||In case of a religious child care facility, further information about the religion can be added|
|optional||service_times:childcare=*||<opening hours syntax>||The time children are taken care of. If service_times:childcare isn't tagged, the fallback value is the one tagged for opening_hours. service_times:childcare always has to be a subset of opening_hours=*. In case service_times:childcare are (wrongly) overlapping, opening_hours=* weights more. So if service_times:childcare states the facility is "open" and opening_hours states it is "closed", it can be interpreted as "closed" overall.|
|optional||opening_hours=*||<opening hours syntax>||The time the facility is opened. Not necessarily the same time as service_hours (For example different office hours).|
Since it's a rather large proposal, I would like to proceed to a vote in different stages:
Vote on idea of an educational reform
Question: Do you think it is a good idea to attempt a systematic educational reform? (Please note: the current proposal is just a first draft to show the idea, and must of course be worked on very much. It's not the scope of this first phase of discussion/voting to go into details).
If yes, do you think the path of the idea of amenity=educational_facility should be followed.
or the path
Vote on the proposal
If the principle will be accepted, I will proceed to work on the details of the proposal and bring it eventually to a vote. So, NO VOTE on the proposal itself for the time being.
Vote on the individual proposals "nursery" and "childcare"
In case of rejection of the educational reform (either after the vote on the principle or the proposal itself), we will then reactivate the currently suspended proposals on "nursery" and "childcare", or maybe a modified/fused version of them.