Proposed features/golf cart path
|Golf Cart Path tagging improvements|
|Status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||tags for golf cart paths and crossings|
|Rendered as:||current osm-carto|
This proposal aims at simplifying and improving the currently flawed tagging scheme for Golf Cart Paths.
- Originally, mapping cart paths was not documented and was usually done using highway=* tags like path/track/footway.
- golf=cartpath was added as a value to the de facto golf=* Key and its Tag page was created by User:Cr7371 in April 2019.
It's Wiki Tag page Tag:golf=cartpath states that it can be used with:
- highway=service "for cart paths that are wide enough for full-size motor vehicles"
- Or in all other cases (typical golf cart paths): highway=path
It also states that golf_cart=* "was approved to be used with highway tags instead of this tag".
Therefore, it recommends "just to be safe", that typical golf cart paths be tagged:
Preset Name: Golf Cartpath
This given freedom in tagging is the likely source of these variances.
In this single area alone, all three types of currently suggested highway tags are used (paths, service roads, tracks):
This creates conflicts in:
It solves the conflicts noted above by:
- Rendering to be more easily-implemented, without having to worry about different highway tagging classifications.
- Allow for issue validators like Osmose to easily ignore the ways that have the tagging scheme, as they are often disconnected from other road networks.
- Simpler, structured, and more tagging potential (see crossing value below).
Golf Cart paths are specifically constructed for golf carts use in golf courses. As seen from the variance in tagging, they can have similar properties of many highway features. However, it is clear that their use is for golf carts and pedestrians.
This tag is meant only for golf cart paths in golf courses.
If typical types of roads are commonly used/meant for golf carts, the golf_cart=* access tag should be used instead.
highway=golf_cart_path vs. golf_cart=*
- It's a muddy and ambiguous tag
- Having such a specific value under it would confuse data consumers themselves
Why such a long value?
The change to the current tag progressed in this discussion:
- Peter Elderson: "When I saw "cartpath" in the subject, my first thought was NOT golf carts. My first thought was of a two-wheeled vehicle pulled by one or two horses."
- Andy Townsend: "Is "golf cart" actually British English for the thing that you're referring to?"
- miketho: "If I saw a general map with the term "cart path", or if the term came up in general conversation, I either wouldn't know to what it referred, or I would assume it was a path for animal drawn carts as another person posted in this thread." "Although a bit wordy, I think in the context of OSM "golf_cart_path" makes more sense than "cart_path", if the standard term is "golf car" then "golf_car_path" works too."
- I then asked if changing the proposal to highway=golf_car_path would be okay. User:Mateusz Konieczny stated yes.
- A conversation then followed questioning the global popularity of the term "golf cart" vs. "golf car". The community decided that even though British English is the preferred language, "golf cart" is the most commonly recognized term globally, even if it might not be technically correct. Another factor was the already-approved golf_cart=* access tag that already had acceptance in terminology. Replacing this to fit new terminology would be costly. The conversation regarding the change from highway=golf_car_path to the current highway=golf_cart_path can be read here.
Why another highway=* value?
- The initial proposal used the highway=* key because there seemed to be so much variation in possible tagging keys and it seemed like golf cart paths were very separate and distinct in purpose compared to other roadways.
- Then, community members were weary about creating another highway tag and wanted stick with one of the current implementations (highway=service). Keeping it under service meant that possible mapping conflicts between golf cart paths that might be used by both carts and maintenance vehicles could be minimized.
- User:Minh Nguyen brought up that routing problems in the past have been caused by golf cart paths using the highway=service tag. This was because data consumers were regarding highway=service as an accessible route and not accounting for the golf=cartpath tag. Keeping the new tag under service would not avoid this conflict.
We concluded that making a new highway value was best because:
- This conflict could be avoided and no additional access tagging or inferences need to be made.
- Golf cart paths are distinct features that only golf carts and pedestrians use and should not be utilized by typical data consumers other than renderers and golf courses for routing. Think of this as another highway=bridleway. It is meant to describe a specific and distinct feature with 1 purpose.
- Roads that can and do accommodate vehicles greater in size than a golf cart should use the highway=service tag. For example, service roads that are wider than the course cart paths and are used by golf course maintenance vehicles to get around the course. Golf cart paths are distinct features that are part of golf course design. Golf course maintenance vehicles may sometimes use them, but their primary use is for golf carts.
For available use of values.
Should be tagged on a golf car path way that crosses another highway=* feature.
- Deprecate Tag:golf=cartpath and add notice to Key:golf
- Add tag highway=golf_cart_path to Key:highway
- Recommend using highway=golf_cart_path instead of other highway features on Key:golf_cart
- Add highway=golf_cart_path to Tag:leisure=golf course
OSM World Discord Server
Tagging Mailing List
Previous discussions on this topic and chronology
- highway=path/track/footway variously used ad hoc for years
- golf=cartpath (by itself) introduced as an iD editor preset to consolidate usage and distinguish from walking paths
- Game renderer adds support for golf=cartpath
- Mainstream renderer declines to support golf=cartpath per se
- Editor preset modified to combine golf=cartpath with highway=service to work around lack of renderer support
- Game players use the editor preset quite heavily to improve gameplay
- Routing issues occur due to this usage of highway=service breaking longstanding assumptions
- Proposal to deprecate highway=service golf=cartpath in favor of highway=cart_path
- Proposal adjusted to highway=service service=cartpath to reuse existing concepts
- Proposal adjusted to highway=cart_path in light of routing concerns
- Proposal adjusted to highway=golf_car_path to have more clear value and in attempt to use UK English
- Proposal adjusted to highway=golf_cart_path to have more clear value in line with actual word use
Please comment on the discussion page.