Jump to navigation Jump to search
|shop = supermarket|
|A large shop selling groceries, fresh produce, and other goods.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Ais a large shop for groceries and other goods, including meat and fresh produce. It's a full service grocery store that often sells a variety of non-food products as well. Almost always part of a chain; e.g. Tesco, Safeway. Stores that do not provide full service grocery departments, including meat and fresh produce, are generally not considered supermarkets for historical reasons.
How to map
Tags used in combination
- wheelchair=* - suitable for wheelchairs
- organic=* - yes - if it sells some organic food, only - if it sells only organic food
- bulk_purchase=yes/only - if the supermarket offers products without packaging.
- branch=*, indicates the town or street where the supermarket is located.
- origin=* - shops which sell goods of foreign countries
- fair_trade=* - whether fair trade products are offered
- payment=* - acceptance of certain payment methods
- cash_withdrawal=* - describes whether you can withdraw cash in a shop at checkout
- operator=* - indicates the name of the company operating the supermarket
- operator:wikidata=* - the id. of the Wikidata item about the feature's operator
- brand:wikidata=* - the id. of the Wikidata item about the feature's brand
- membership=yes - if a supermarket requires a membership to join (typical of stores like Costco and Sam's Club). See also tag shop=wholesale.
- shop=convenience - Typically much smaller than a supermarket, and typically carries a more limited selection of food items. One suggestion for distinguishing between a supermarket and a convenience shop, is that a supermarket is large enough to use trolleys.
- shop=variety_store - A price-point retailer selling inexpensive items. These can have aisles and trolleys but normally little or no fresh food or produce.
- shop=general - A general store. Selling various things. This tag is a little unclear for various reasons, but a supermarket has more of an emphasis on food.
- shop=department_store (and Proposed features/department store) - a large store with multiple clothing and other general merchandise departments. These are less likely to have shopping trolleys and smooth floors for wheeling them. They have little or no area given over to food items. A department store that sells a full selection of groceries (e.g. Walmart Supercentre) which is often called a "hypermarket" should be tagged shop=supermarket
- shop=wholesale - A large store which sells items in bulk.
Some supermarkets may include also separate shops and objects, separate from the main supermarket shop. It is OK to map them independently:
- amenity=fuel may be close to supermarket and should be mapped as separate objects.
- amenity=trolley_bay may be used to map any trolley bays / cart corrals.