Tajikistan, Central Asia
|latitude: 38.8, longitude: 70.8|
|Browse map of Tajikistan 38°48′00.00″ N, 70°48′00.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Tajikistan is a country in Central Asia at latitude 38°48′00.00″ North, longitude 70°48′00.00″ East.
Welcome to all mappers interested in Tajikistan!
As of today (April 7th 2012), the territory of Tajikistan is still very poorly mapped on OSM, except for the capital city of Dushanbe.
The purpose of this page is to list users interested in mapping this country, and to organize and harmonize the data sources and the processes. Please list below your OSM identity (if any), as well as your area of expertise:
|Wiki Identity||OSM Identity||Area of expertise|
Things you can do to help
Here are some tasks anyone can help with. Help out!
- Add missing residential roads in Dushanbe
- Missing towns around Dushanbe, especially east, west and south
- Missing towns around Kurgontenna
- Missing streets and waterways in and around Mu'minobod
A list of tags relevant for the Tajik context is being developed here. Mappers are of course free to add other tags if necessary, but this list is a good starting point, expecially for inexperimented mappers and / or for mappers with no field knowledge of Tajikistan.
This section needs to be filled up.
In general, the only "free" data source for Tajikistan are the outdated SSSR topo maps. There have been some discussions regarding the possible license of those. For example here: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-June/051194.html
You can also refer to the Tajikistan section on the Potential_Datasources page (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#Tajikistan)
New (June 23rd 2012): We are finalizing the purchase of a high-resolution satellite imagery for Khorog. This will help to entirely map the town (all buildings, roads and streets, landcover, hazardous zones...). Contact https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/shenriod for more information
Any other thoughts?
It is allowed to trace on Microsoft Bing imagery for OSM but, in most cases, only very low resolution imagery is available on Tajikistan. Below are listed some of the few areas with high resolution imagery:
- Lower Bartang Valley (Shujand village): http://osm.org/go/zxn9~Lryb- (a very small area, but very good resolution)
- Upper Bartang valley: http://osm.org/go/zx4~Gtpq- (a large area with decent resolution, but unfortunately taken in Winter + quite cloudy, so challenging to identify the road and the waterbank)
- Yazgulam valley: http://osm.org/go/zxy8dlCY--
- Upper Vanj valley: http://osm.org/go/zxzsE_mJ-
- Lower Vanj valley (Vanj center): http://osm.org/go/zxzjBG58--
- Eastern Murghab: http://osm.org/go/zzSbwGff- (not many villages, but roads and rivers can be mapped)
- Some parts of the M41 between Garm and Vahdat: http://osm.org/go/zxeMsFXC--
The full coverage with reasonnably high resolution imagery in Bing can be seen here.
A QuickBird image (taken April 20th 2010) had been purchased for the mapping of the town of Khorog. The core of the mapping has taken place between July 28th, 2012 and August 1st, 2012. The mapping has been coordinated through the HOT Tasking Manager.
See the poor coverage before:
and compare it with the detailed coverage on August 2nd, 2012:
The current state can be seen here.
NB: A report from the ICRC (Dec 2012) mentions this mapping exercise: http://www.un-spider.org/sites/default/files/Rebois.pdf
In October 2013, import of Province and District boundaries from GADM 2.0 (http://www.gadm.org) into relations has been finished (please see discussion page for pending license issue). They can be quite a bit off, however (5 km in one observed case, but could be more). So if you have local knowledge, a better database or if you find that the shown boundaries reflect the shape of a nearby physical object (e.g. the winding of a river, a ridge), but are besides it, please feel free to adapt. Make sure to document changes in the "source" tag.