distance=* instead of pk=*
pk=* is French and not intuitive. I propose to use distance=* instead. See also: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-May/013539.html --Skyper 19:31, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
Kilometre as default unit
We should use the metric system as default. For milestones kilometre seems the right choice. --Skyper 19:31, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
How to specify two distances?
Most of milestones in Russia looks like two-sided metal flag. Each side of these flags have own distance, for two directions. For example milestones placed on Russian road M-5 “Ural” contains distances to Chelyabinsk and to Moscow.
Which of distance should I put to distance=* tag? Which tag should I use for distance of opposite direction?
- I also wondered this. I think a schema like distance:zero-point=* would work. F.e. distance:London=15.8 for the distance to London (with localised names, as they appear in the place node name=* tag).
- I ran into such milestones on a cycleway (it used to be a railway connecting Roeselare and Ieper, so it's very straight and long). Every crossing had a milestone, with the distance to Roeselare on one side, and the distance to Ieper on the other. --Sanderd17 (talk) 16:27, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
There is some idea on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Milestones - use "milestone:forward" or "milestone:backward" attributes. But what direction is "forward" or "backward"?--Zlyh (talk) 08:36, 28 October 2015 (UTC)
There is some old discussion about milestone:
Node on the way or in the mark position?
- Real position. → ViriatoLusitano Portugal (Talk | Contribs) ← 00:05, 13 August 2017 (UTC)
- I would say on the highway. Otherwise we won't be able tell which highway it belongs to when we have 2 or more nearby highways. By using it as a separate node it will suffer the same problems from Key:traffic_sign#As_a_separate_node --naoliv (talk) 21:14, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- Isn't this corrected by having a ref tag on the milestone with the highway ref it belongs to? → ViriatoLusitano Portugal (Talk | Contribs) ← 21:23, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- Real position +1. And about the relation between milestone and highway...Why not using a new relation type? BTW, this page is changed to "The node should be part of the way that represents the highway." https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Ahighway%3Dmilestone&type=revision&diff=1493715&oldid=1437923 --Yellowsoar (talk) 09:52, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- On the highway, because the sign has a property of a road. It is useless otherwise. The same as for traffic_sign=city_limit and highway=give_way. --Zverik (talk) 18:32, 29 March 2018 (UTC)