Proposed features/Unconvetional railway details
|Unconvetional railway and guided busway details|
|Status:||Draft (under way)|
|Definition:||Unconvetional railway and guided busway details|
This is a pre-RFC draft. Will not enter RFC for quite a while.
Details of unconventional railways and guided busways, for their supporting mechanism, structure, guidance, traction, and propulsion.
- Some critical properties are missing from mostly railway=subway. These affects their profile, performance, and service greatly.
- railway=monorail mixes up different aspect in monorail=*, as well as conflicting with the monorail=yes meaning in Public Transport. Some maglevs are not monorails either, as tagged by monorail=maglev.
- highway=bus_guideway doesn't describe optical and magnetic guided bus.
- trolley_wire=* on highway=* for trolleybus=yes (at least for non-battery sections) overlaps with electrified=contact_line on railway=* to some extent
- electrified=contact_line doesn't indicate whether single-wire trolley pole, or rigid overhead conductor rail, are used; or whether batteries or fuel cells are used, when electrified=no sections exist.
For now, they are packaged together here due to the interrelationship between some of them. They may be broken up later.
It is proposed to tag railway=* by its function as is normally, only using railway=monorail for the substantially different monorail. Pragmatically, this would conform to current practice, and maintain compatability. Conceptually, this would allow railways to be distinguished by function, instead of form.
The following new tags would be proposed for the working details.
A vehicle may use multiple form of support. This is especially complex for the Paris-style "rubber-tyred" metro that uses steel wheels as well. SCMaglev on Chuo Shinkansen is an EDS maglev system, where rubber tyres are also used below levitation speed.
- running_rail=yes there is a (steel) running rail here, implies steel wheels
- roll_pad=* running pad / roll way for rubber tyres, imples rubber wheels
- hover_pad=yes hovertrain lift pad
monorail:structure=* Other monorail=* values will be directed here, allowing different aspects of a monorail to be distinguished. This also cleans up the synonymity of monorail=* in PT and infrastructure.
- running_rail=* as above (including Cable Liner, where the metal guide wheels run below the rubber-tyred wheels?)
- guide_rail=* = guide_rail=side a dedicated guide bar (may be applicable to guided bus routes)
- guide_rail=centre value needs to be introduced
- guidance=linear_motor (To-do: Combined or separate propulsion and guidance linear motor)
- guidance=contact the term "guideway" is not preferred for its ambiguity
Not to be confused with "propulsion".
For multiple traction methods on different sections (eg Skyrail), change the tag according to the propulsion the vehicle use at the section, not whether the propulsion mechanism exists through it?
- linear_motor:primary=* Location of primary side windings/coil, to be tagged on the railway=*
Motive power source
Open-question as in Proposed_features/Unconvetional_railway_details#Applies to
Could be applied to roads for charging buses?
- electrified=inductive Inductive power or charging
- contact_line=* Detail of electrified=contact_line
- electrified:collection=* current collection device
- electrified:function=* The purpose of electrification
What may be branded as magnetic or optically guided "tram" shall not be tagged as railway=tram. The difference between a rubber-tyred tramway and guided busway may be decided on whether the vehicle can move normally off rail. As such most definitely would be railway=tram, while is likely to be classified as a guided busway.
- guide rail on both sides, not kerbs
- Could be air-cusioned, like the
- detachable "gondola", LIM-proplled at stations
- ( ) EDS
- ( ) EMS
- ( )
No change, or a variation on existing style.
No tags are "deprecated". All these serve as a further refinement. The original tags may continue to be used as an initial detail.
- Proposed features/Magnetic levitation train
- Proposed features/Incline railway
- Proposed features/Rack railway
- Proposed features/Key:bus guideway
- Proposed features/Tag:highway=busway Frankly no idea on how to interface yet.
Please comment on the discussion page.