|amenity = drinking_water|
|A drinking water source provides potable water for consumption.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Drinking water is a place where humans can obtain potable water for consumption. Typically, the water is used for only drinking. This includes the, water taps, water wells and water points.
How to Map
This tag value should be used on nodes or areas that shows the source of a potable water that humans can drink from. Generally, this feature provides small quantities of water. Tag bottle=yes if it offers an easy way to fill a portable water container.
- Temperature additional tags
There is also warm_water=yes in use.
The tag drinking_water=* is used as a indication whether a physical feature provides safe drinking water or potable water for consumption. When mapping with this tag it has a fine level of granularity, it is acceptable to mark the individual water sources as a amenity=drinking_water.
- man_made=water_tap may be additionally used for a water tap
- drinking_water=* indicates whether a feature provides safe drinking water.
- amenity=water_point is a place to get larger amounts of drinking water, usually for caravans, RV's, or boats.
- amenity=watering_place is a place where animals drink water
- natural=spring is used where water flows naturally out of the ground.
- amenity=fountain is a fountain for used for cultural, decoration and/or recreational purposes.
- man_made=water_well is a man made excavation in the ground to gain water from an aquifer.
- disused:amenity=drinking_water is used as a method of marking broken fountains. Which may remove them from most maps.
- bottle=* can a water bottle be easily filled here?
- fountain=* for subtypes of drinking water fountains and fountains.
- shop=water for shops that sell water. Note that amenity=drinking_water, which implies no-fee access to water, is not appropriate for these shops.
Drinking water road signs
- Proposed features/Potable Water – original proposal.
- Proposed features/water network
- Proposed features/Drinking water attributes – proposal for extension of tagging
- www.wetap.org – iOS applications (Android coming soon, it says) for collecting drinking water photos/locations/status.
- OSMBright-drinkingwater – Files to make the OSMBright theme for OpenStreetMaps show drinking water more prominently.