Talk:Key:tactile paving

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

use british English

"Curb" is AE, in BE use "kerb". Please change this in the whole wiki where you can find it for consistency reasons. -- Dieterdreist 12:16, 21 September 2010 (BST)

Needs further clarification

I couldn't understand how to tag a street (e.g. highway=primary). Do I really need to map the sidewalk as a separate way to tag it as tactile_paving? If not, then how can I specify the left sidewalk has tactile paving, while the right one does not? --Jgpacker (talk) 11:26, 10 February 2014 (UTC)

Update: I'm using tactile_paving:left=yes and similar to do this. --Jgpacker (talk) 18:44, 9 September 2014 (UTC)

tactile paving only on one side

If the crossing only has tactile paving on one side, how should this be tagged? `no`, `incorrect` or even something different?

--Westnordost (talk) 12:28, 28 October 2017 (UTC)

I also have this problem. The wiki only says "This is set separately for each side of the road, because it can be different!" But how? With tactile_paving:left and tactile_paving:right on the crossing point or with a separate point on the footway leading to the crossing (but what if only a crossing is tagged on a road with sidewalk=* or similar?). It could really be more precise in the wiki. I decided now to use tactile_paving:left=yes (and tactile_paving:right=no) or tactile_paving:right=yes (and tactile_paving:left=no) on the crossing point – although this breaks the rule for "Use on ways": "On a pedestrian crossing highway=crossing, when the tactile paving is used in a line all across the crossing". So what should be the correct and best solution for any case which can also be used by blindmaps in a reasonable way? --Goodidea (talk) 12:29, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Tactile paving on crossings

The page suggests to use tactile_paving=* with crossings as ways whenever the tactile paving extends across the complete road widths. First of all, I am bit puzzled that hw=crossing is not mentioned under the heading 'use on nodes'. As Tag:highway=crossing tells us hw=crossing should only be applied to nodes not ways and taginfo confirms that that is by far the prevalent usage. So I suggest to encourage tagging hw=crossing nodes with tactile_paving, too. Secondly, I'd like to challenge the statement that tactile paving should only be tagged yes if it extends across the complete road widths, i. e. also on the carriageway. I have never seen such crossing around here but there are many that have a shorter or longer tactile paving across the sidewalk on both sides of the street and also on the island if one exists. Even if such paving is not the most practical for the blind I cannot imagine it is utterly useless. So why not tag it anyway? Maybe we just can add a tactile_paving=* qualifier for such case? When sidewalks are not mapped separately the method to mark "dangerous spots" cannot be applied either. What are your thoughts? -- TZorn (talk) 16:36, 13 September 2018 (UTC)

Hi, mapping for blind persons does not make any sense on nodes at all, except for spots that need attention, like fountains that might start to shoot water out of the flat ground. If there is tactile paving, it is always in the sense of helping to find a way. If the way is not mapped, that's the first thing to do. Talking navigation software can not help at all, if there is an information that there is any kind of unknown tactile paving anywhere on a crossing. A specific mapping of each small area of tactile paving is needed, to distinguish correct tactile paving from irritating wrong tactile paving. If you feel you want to put a tactile paving tag on a node, do it an add a "FIXME=Make a way out of the node for tactile paving". --Lulu-Ann (talk) 11:32, 7 October 2018 (UTC)
I don't follow you. A hw=crossing node represents a real life way. Where the to be crossed road is mapped as a two dimensional feature (including sidewalks) it does not make sense at all to map a crossing as another two dimensional feature that does not connect to anything. In this situation the node exactly conveys the information: "You can get from one side of the street to the other here". If the highway is mapped with sidewalk information the node might even say: "You can get from one sidewalk to the other here". So I don't see any reason not to ad the tactile paving information to that node. In cases where sidewalks and carriageway are mapped separately any crossing should not be mapped as hw=crossing anyway. The encouraged style of mapping is hw=footway + footway crossing in that case.
You did not answer to my second question: Why shouldn't a tactile paving that is clearly marking the start and end of a crossing but does not extend all the way across the carriageway be marked at all? -- TZorn (talk) 06:54, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
If you can tell the direction of a way that is tagged as a node you are not blind. If your navigation software knows nodes on a way you have a very interesting navigation software that either
  • uses much time on preprocessing
  • uses endless amounts of storage space
  • can still not point a direction to a blind person from a node.

There are pedestrian crossings with and without tactile paving that are not rectangular at all to the street. "Tactile_paving" on nodes is useful. In exactly one way: Run a robot to add a FIXME. We don't map to add dangerous bad information for blind persons. We map to make ways less dangerous. --Lulu-Ann (talk) 15:25, 10 January 2019 (UTC)