Talk:Proposed features/Campsite properties
- 1 Tags for separate objects (features) - NEW
- 2 Characteristics of campsites
- 3 Concurrence
- 4 Reference: existing tags (not part of proposal)
- 5 Parking=yes
- 6 Keys cabins and capacity:cabins
Tags for separate objects (features) - NEW
In this section you mention:
- camp_site=reception but camp_site is normally reserved for camp_site categories. amenity=reception_desk is more widely used
- Sorry, the page is still a draft. I hadn't fixed some of the errors from the old proposal yet. I'll send out an email and change the status to "proposed" when it is ready. --Jeisenbe (talk) 06:54, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
Characteristics of campsites
You want to create scout=yes/no/boy/girl, but in general the gender classification in OSM, for instance for toilets is male/female/unisex. KISS: reuse the values. --Nospam2005 (talk) 19:47, 3 July 2019 (UTC)
- Current proposal is just scout=yes/no - these values have already been used 566 and 76 times each, while the other values are only used once or twice. --Jeisenbe (talk) 23:55, 21 August 2019 (UTC)
- I was wondering what "scout" referred to, till I looked at the page & saw reference to Girl Scouts etc! This should possibly be scouts=yes/no ? (Although I have seen references in Australia to non-Scouting people camping in Scout campgrounds while they're not being used by Scouts, so they're apparently not an exclusive area?) --Fizzie41 (talk) 22:34, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
- I didn’t invent the tag, it’s already been used several hundred times. I suppose the idea was “scout (camp) = yes/no” - its a property that describes the type of camp as “scout”. It could be used with access = yes or = private depending on the camp. There is also leisure=summer_camp which might be used with scout=yes, but it’s not totally clear when to use that tag instead of tourism=camp_site. --Jeisenbe (talk) 02:35, 23 August 2019 (UTC)
I agree with the proposal. It is good to see more details on the campground area to help people know what is available.
Tags that are not part of this proposal are listed below for reference. This section was moved from the main page before voting to avoid confusion, but is here to show what other tags can be added to camp_site, caravan_site and camp_pitch features.
These attributes are used for many other feature as well, but can also be used for campsites. These tags are NOT part of this proposal: they are already approved or "De facto" status,
- addr:street=*, addr:housenumber=* More general information addr=*
- camp_site=basic/standard/serviced/deluxe - approved tag for the level of services and features available
- capacity=<number> - maximum number of visitors permitted
- dog=yes/no, horse=yes/no Indicate if domestic animals are allowed at the site.
- drinking_water=yes/no availability of drinking water at the feature
- fee=yes/no whether a fee must be paid to use the site
- internet_access=yes/no/wlan - availability of internet access, use wlan for WiFi.
- maxstay=* The maximum permitted stay durations. Specify the units, such as maxstay=2 weeks or maxstay=7 nights.
- motor_vehicle=yes/no whether access by motor vehicles is permitted
- name=* The site's common name
- operator=* The site operator's name
- opening_hours=* Can express daily opening hours, opening hours at specific days and season limits.
- phone=* - phone number of the campsite or caravan site
- recycling=yes/no Availability of containers for recycling.
- sanitary_dump_station=yes/no/customers - availability of a santitary dump station for emptying caravan toilet holding tanks
- toilets=yes/no Availability of toilets at the site
- website=* Address of the site's web site (containing prices, load, pictures, …)
- wheelchair=yes/no If access is possible for wheelchair users.
Existing Tags for attributes of camp_pitch only
These tags are approved or de facto status, and therefore are not part of this proposal
- maxlength=* To specify the maximum length of vehicle / caravan that may use the pitch
- maxwidth=* To specify the maximum width of vehicle / caravan that may use the pitch
- ref=* to specify the reference number of a pitch
- surface=* To specify surfaces of the pitch
This tags are not part of this proposal, they are already approved or "de facto" status.
- amenity=drinking_water Location of a source of drinking water
- amenity=parking For parking lots belonging to a site
- amenity=recycling + recycling_type=container A container for recyclable materials.
- amenity=sanitary_dump_station - a santitary dump station for disposing of sewage from caravan toilet holding tanks
- amenity=toilets To tag the location of toilets
- amenity=waste_disposal A "dumpster" or large waste bin for litter (aka rubbish, trash). Use waste=* to specify types of waste.
- leisure=firepit A fire ring or fire pit where a camp fire may be lit.
- leisure=picnic_table An outdoor picnic table.
- leisure=playground A area intended for children to play.
- leisure=swimming_pool A pool for swimming.
- shop=laundry A laundry shop, laundromat or coin-operated laundry room, to wash clothes.
- tourism=picnic_site A place to take a meal outside, usually a table and benches are provided
If you want to introduce parking=yes you should add a topic in the corresponding discussion page. And make a specific proposal (I've seen parking=yes on a pub, but in this case drawing the parking was better).
- Yes, I'm aware that parking=* is used in that way. However, parking=yes is currently used >3900 times and is the 5th most commonly-used value of parking=*, and parking=no is the 11th: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/parking#values - so this tag is already in use. It's common to use <value>=yes/no from a <key>=<value> tag to specify the presence or absence of a feature as a property of another feature. --Jeisenbe (talk) 22:26, 15 September 2019 (UTC)
Keys cabins and capacity:cabins
Here you're referring to tourism=cabin but cabin for log cabins is not an approved tag, the approved tag is tourism=chalet. So chalets=yes/no and capacity:chalets=number. - 15 September 2019 Nospam2005
- While building=cabin is not approved, that's true of almost all values of building=*, and building=cabin has been used over 140,000 times. It has the definition "A cabin is a small, roughly built house usually with a wood exterior and typically found in rural areas." Compare to tourism=chalet which is: "A holiday cottage with self-contained cooking and bathroom facilities". So in the context of campsites, "cabin" is appropriate because these buildings do not usually have indoor cooking or bathroom facilities (at least in North America), they just provide an alternative to camping in a tent or caravan. --Jeisenbe (talk) 22:30, 15 September 2019 (UTC)
- Since tourism=chalet is already in use, I'd recommend adding that tag specifically, if there are any rental houses with a self-contained kitchen and bathroom. But that's as nice as a mid-level hotel, not really "camping". It could be reasonable to use chalets=yes/no in that case as well. Are you thinking of a particular "campsite" which offers chalets? --Jeisenbe (talk) 22:33, 15 September 2019 (UTC)