|Toll roads charge money for some or all traffic.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Use toll=* to indicate that a fee must be paid by general traffic to use a road, road bridge or road tunnel. Where only certain classes of vehicles are tolled then this can be indicated using toll:hgv=yes or toll:bicycle=no.
How to map
Only portions of way from which there is no "escape" except for a U-turn should be marked as toll. A toll authority may maintain sections of road that are free to drive on, but charge a toll to pass a certain point. In that case, only the area around said point should be marked as toll.
- Where most traffic is required to pay a fee then use toll=yes and identify any classes that are not charged as exceptions, some examples: toll:bicycle=no, toll:motorcycle=no or toll:hov=no.
- When the general condition is that vehicles are not charged then use toll=no together with over-rides for classes that are charged. For example: toll=no, toll:hgv=yes
- It can be helpful for other mappers to use toll=no to explicitly indicate that a road is toll free, for example as exceptions where most other motorways or tunnels in a region are tolled.
- toll=snowmobile - To use the unplowed track during wintertime with snowmobile, one has to pay (annual) fee to the operator. On summertime this same track/road is for general access and no fee.
- fee=* - For specifying whether a fee is usually charged for a service, or for access.
- payment=* - For specifying the methods of payment which are accepted.
- barrier=toll_booth - A place where a road usage toll or fee is collected.
- highway=toll_gantry - A tag on a node to denote a transponder or camera gantry that exists for the purpose of electronically collecting tolls.
- type=enforcement + enforcement=toll - toll Relation:enforcement - Devices that measure and document traffic violations and their coverage zone