|Proposal status:||Approved (active)|
|Applies to:||node, way, area, relation|
|Definition:||Access restrictions for golf carts|
The key golf_cart=* is for access restrictions relating to and similar small, low-speed electric vehicles.
Typically this tag is used on ways that are tagged with highway=service or highway=path near golf courses or in communities with specialized golf cart path networks. It is also be used on multi-use paths which allow golf carts along with bicycles or pedestrians. The restriction applies to all vehicles that are in the same legal category as golf carts. Usually these are relatively small and narrow electric vehicles with 4 wheels and a low maximum speed.
See access=* for a description of this tag's values. Typical values are golf_cart=designated (for paths or roads exclusively or primarily to be used by golf carts), golf_cart=yes (for paths and roads that allow golf carts) and golf_cart=no (for paths or roads that exclude golf carts, where this would not be the clear default).
This proposal seeks to clarify that highway=path or highway=service with golf_cart=designated is the best tagging method for golf cart paths on golf courses, rather than the new competing tags golf=cartpath and golf=path
Most access tags are in this format, and can be used to define a type of path. For example, horse=designated & bicycle=yes & highway=path are used for multi-use paths that allow horses and bicycles but not motor vehicles. Extending this with "golf_cart=*" is logical and consistent, so it has already be adopted by mappers without a formal proposal process.
"Golf_cart=*" has been in use since at least 2011. The page Talk:Key:access#Golf cart mentioned golf cart access in 2010/2011
Currently this key is used 14, 874 times on ways( and 10 times on relations), as of 2019-April-10
There is an existing wiki page since 4-April-2016 : Key:golf_cart
'Values: see the access=* page.
Commonly used values:
- Yes - golf_cart=yes - public golf cart users have official right of access
- No - golf_cart=no - golf carts are not permitted
- Designated - golf_cart=designated - Preferred or designated for golf carts
- Permissive - golf_cart=permissive - Open to golf carts until the owner revokes the permission, which they may legally do at any time in the future.
- Private - golf_cart=private - golf carts are only allowed with individual permission
- Talk:Key:access#Golf cart, mentioned golf cart access in 2010/2011
- Ohio/Map features#Miscellany – golf carts are considered roadworthy in Ohio
Please comment on the discussion page
- I approve this proposal. --Jeisenbe (talk) 01:59, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Fizzie41 (talk) 02:07, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Yumean1119 (talk) 03:44, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. although I would have been interested to know where "slow speed" ends, whether there are high speed golf carts that should get a different tag and some more details. --Dieterdreist (talk) 23:33, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- I believe the max speed and max motor power limits depend on the jurisdiction. This is a similar situation to electric bicycles and motorized bicycles. --Jeisenbe (talk) 13:57, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. This seems a logical extension of other access tagging --PeterPan99 (talk) 17:25, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Thetornado76 (talk) 08:27, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Westnordost (talk) 23:15, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Howerver, I feel access=permit should be added later. There are places such as Peachtree City, Georgia where ways are specifically for golf carts (ordinary cars not allowed) but only if the driver has applied for a permit to do so (walking and cycling are also allowed on these ways with no permit needed). --Brian de Ford (talk) 12:17, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --TonyS (talk) 14:00, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --TheBlackMan (talk) 14:03, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Grimpeur78 (talk) 14:26, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Marc marc (talk) 08:23, 3 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. for now, I see no good reason for golf=cartpath used instead of available highway=service/highway=footway/highway=pedestrian --Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 13:20, 4 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --EneaSuper (talk) 12:45, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Fx99 (talk) 16:42, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Gendy54 (talk) 18:24, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Hiroshi Miura 14:36, 13 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Warin61 (talk) 00:37, 24 May 2019 (UTC)