|traffic_calming = island|
|A traffic island is a small area that temporarily separates two different traffic directions, or a non-traversable area in the middle of an intersection.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A traffic island is a structure separating at least two lanes of a highway for a short distance. The width of the island is usually under a few meters.
The island doesn't necessarily have to have a right-of-way indicator. Traffic islands can also appear at the center of junctions or traffic lights, but then the roadway around them should also be drawn as a circular way tagged with junction=circular or junction=roundabout.
How to map
For an island between two lanes of a carriageway, either:
- put a traffic_calming=island node at the island,
- split the way at the ends of the island, and add traffic_calming=island to the middle segment, or
- split the carriageway into parallel lanes, marked oneway=yes as appropriate, and draw the island as an area between them.
For islands at the center of intersections, draw a circular way around the island, as described by Tag:junction=roundabout#How_to_map, and tag the way with junction=circular or junction=roundabout depending on how traffic yields. Optionally, also draw the traffic-calming island as a node or area inside the circle. Routing software should treat such small circular junctions the same as normal intersections.
Tags to use in combination
- surface=* – surface of the traffic island, e.g. asphalt
- landuse=grass – For traffic islands covered with grass
- One possible rendering may be as a small hollow dot in the middle of a node, or a small hollow line in the middle of a way. When creating software, these choices are yours.
- None, currently, by the osm-carto layer.
- iD-Editor: Example-object
- crossing:island=* - Specifies whether a pedestrian crossing has a refuge island
- highway=mini_roundabout - A road junction where the traffic goes around a painted circle or traversable island and has right of way.
- crossing=island - Further refinement for nodes already tagged with highway=crossing or railway=crossing
- The proposal landuse=traffic_island for a pedestrian refuge on roads was abandoned.
- on Wikipedia