|route = ferry|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
Displays the route of a ferry on sea.
How to map
The route can be stylized and should be different from other ferry routes.
No relation should be used even if the key route=* suggests this.
The ferry route should start and end at a ferry terminal amenity=ferry_terminal. At the same point also the access road ends. Between the terminal and the coastal line, there may be a pier man_made=pier which should be tagged with highway=*. Car ferries have often a bridge between the quay wall and the docking point, which is tagged with highway=* + bridge=yes.
The ferry route must not branch in the water, so it must always be drawn to the ferry dock. This is important for routing to work correctly.
route=ferry can be used for large car ferries, but also for small people over rivers and lakes. Crags hang on a wire rope stretched over the river and move through the slanting against the current. The wire rope forms a river barrier.
Tags to use in combination
Access restriction tags can be used to mark the type of ferry, such as:
- motor_vehicle=yes - Yes. The ferry allows motor vehicles (trucks, cars, motorcycles, ...)
- foot=yes - Yes. The ferry does allow foot passengers.
- bicycle=yes - Yes. The ferry does allow for cyclists.
- See access=* for other access restriction tags. Also see Map Features#Restrictions
Other possible combo tags:
- operator=* - for the name of the operator of a ferry route
- name=* - for the name of a ferry route
- ref=* - for a reference number/code of a ferry route.
- duration=* highly recommended for indicating how long the route takes ('00:05' is 5 minutes, '1:15' an hour fifteen, or '48:00' two days). Important to avoid large detours to avoid ferries for routers that underestimate the speed of ferries. OSRM supports this tag (on ways).
- ferry=* - for the type of road the ferry route belongs to (used with the same values as highway=*).
- ferry:cable=yes - Reaction ferry
- amenity=ferry_terminal - for a ferry terminal.
- man_made=pier for ferry stops on a pier.
- Harbour - Describes many tags in and around a harbour/port.