Who we are
PoliMappers is a volunteer students’ association founded in December 2016, based at Politecnico di Milano in Milano, Lombardia, Italy. The mission of the group is to train and motivate the next generation of volunteer mappers and to do mapping using free and open source software within the university as well as primary and secondary schools.
PoliMappers is the first European chapter of the International Association YouthMappers, founded in 2014 in the United States of America with the support of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to cultivate a new generation of leaders in the field of open geospatial data and technologies, with the purpose of creating through them resilient communities of the future.
YouthMappers is a global network that currently includes some 145 chapters in 41 countries. In accordance with the terms of participation of YouthMappers, the association's activities include at least two mapping activities per year: mapping the local area and participating in a YouthMappers network promoted campaign.
How to keep in touch
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram .
We also have an official website with statistics, events and useful resources.
- May 14-15, 2019: Presentation at Living Planet Symposium of #ClimateMapathon in collaboration with ESA climate office.
- May 10, 2019: Mapathon with United Nations about UN Maps Project.
- April 5, 2019: Night of Geography Mapathon in collaboration with CartONG
- March 22, 2019: Mapping deforestation on the HOT Tasking Manager in collaboration with Resilient GAP and Semillero GeoLab UdeA.
- December 1-31, 2018: PoliMappers/Adventures2018, perform one mapping challenge each day from everywhere in the world.
- December 10, 2018: Mapathon organization for 50 future students of Politecnico di Milano inside the Matec project about the project 690 on TeachOSM.
- November 14, 2018: PoliMappers in OSMGeoWeek, mapathon event during the OSM Geo Week
- October 24, 2018: Mapillary event in Parco Sempione, Milano, Italy.
- September 28, 2018: Mapping to help end female genital mutilation (FMG) inside the Crowd2Map Tanzania event.
- July 29, 2018: Mappathon during State of the Map 2018 about the project 690 on TeachOSM mapping villages in Saint Louis, Senegal.
- May 3, 2018: Mappathon and presentation event in Liceo Antonelli at Novara.
- April 16, 2018: Technical support to the mapathon at BlackRock Milan organized by Doctors Without Borders
- April 13, 2018: Mapping with Geopaparazzi and JOSM about the house numbers of Milan.
- March 24, 2018: Presentation of PoliMappers at Merge-it 2018.
- December 1-31, 2017: PoliMappers/Adventures, perform one mapping challenge each day from everywhere in the world.
- December 13, 2017: MiniMapathon at the Secondary School "Istituto Comprensivo P. Gobetti" (Trezzano sul Naviglio). PoliMappers introduced 60 12-year old children to OSM with a minimapathon on this HOT task. Children first learnt how to map in a sandbox environment and after they mapped on OSM. Their work was saved with the hastag
- November 15, 2017: Mapping party during the OSM GeoWeek with more than 60 partecipants.
- October 1-22, 2017: CompletetheMap Challeng of Mapillary at Milan. We add more than 12.000 photos.
- August 13, 2017: Mapping Tanzania in the Crowd2Map Tanzania event.
- May 27, 2017: Hiking between Brunate (Como) and Monte Boletto. More than 1.000 photos added on Mapillary
- March 4 - April 2, 2017: Partecipation to the third round of HOT campaign for malaria eradication
- April 3-30, 2017: Partecipation to the second round of HOT campaign for malaria eradication
#polimappers06. Results and post about the campaign at this link.
- March 30, 2017: PoliMappers join the event of MapTime Milano about the mapping of the cultural heritage at Corte Sant'Andrea (LO). At the event also partecipate GisTonic Milano and Wikimedia Italia.
- March 4 - April 2, 2017: Partecipation to the first round of HOT campaign for malaria eradication
- January 20 - February 17, 2017: Contribution to Mapping the Philppines initiative
- January 16, 2017: First PoliMappers' Mappathon with Field Papers about amenity in the Leonardo Campus of Politecnico di Milano