User:FredrikLindseth/Norwegian Mapping Projects
| Norway, Europe|
|latitude: 65.40, longitude: 11.00|
|Browse map of Norway 65°24′00.00″ N, 11°00′00.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Norway is a Country in Europe at latitude 65°24′00.00″ North, longitude 11°00′00.00″ East.
|This page has moved to WikiProject_Norway|
Mapping projects are collaborative efforts by people with common interests to map a particular territory or to improve mapping for a particular topic and there are also projects that develop and improve the software and services that make OpenStreetMap possible.
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Norway. See Norwegian Map Features for assistance with tagging specific Norwegian features.
Goals for completing the map
For the map to be "complete" the following topics needs to be completed. The ones with strike through are more or less finished (2018)
- Major roads (for cars) with names and speed limits
- Minor roads (pedestrians and bicyclists)
- Land cover (coastline, forests, lakes, rivers)
- Place names
- National parks and nature reserves
- Public services: Health care (hospitals, doctors offices, pharmacies), p
olice stations, f ire stations, town halls, NAV
- Culture: Museums, concert venues, theatres, cinemas
- Education: Universities, schools (primary/secondary school, high school) and kindergartens
- Leisure: Hiking, mountain biking, skiing, sports pitches, beaches, gyms etc
Special interest topics
The Norwegian community within OpenStreetMap is interested in mapping many different features. You are welcome to find your area of interest and participate.
- Transportation: At the heart of OSM is information about the road network, railways and public transport. When you contribute in adding and updating this information you improve routing in many apps and map services.
- Infrastructure: There are projects for adding power infrastructure which focuses on mapping the electric distribution and generation systems as well as mobile towers.
- Recreation, Sports and Leisure: There are many groups mapping information relevant to different outdoor activities, including hiking, winter sports, mountain biking, bicycle routes, and a separate projects for Oslomarka and bicycle routes in Oslo. When you contribute in these areas you help improving the free maps on Garmin and on other apps and map services.
- Nature, Conservation and Environment: A large project is in progress to import topography/land cover for Norway. This is a dataset that contains all rivers, lakes, forests and other land uses in Norway. Another project is importing nature reserves and other protected areas in Norway.
- Place names: You may soon contribute in adding place names. The address import is updating all addresses.
- Public services: There have been projects to add kindergartens and churches, as well as fire stations and police stations. The next items to import will be schools, recycling locations and charging stations for electric cars.
- Marine mapping: The international OpenSeaMap project collects and adds information which is helpful at sea or at the seaside, including locations of lighthouses and details of harbours. All seamarks have been imported in Norway, however they need to be kept up to date. Many parts of the Norwegian coastline needs to be refined.
- Health care: There are currently no projects for completing health care locations in Norway such as clinics, physicians, dentists, pharmacies, physiotherapists etc. Initiatives are welcome.
- Administrative Boundaries: Norwegian Administrative Boundaries is a project which updates administrative boundaries in Norway whenever municipalities are consolidated.
- Historic: For features that no longer exist in OSM and the world, the Open Historical Map project collects and renders a separate API, database and rendering stack, with the aim to have a time-enabled map of everything that used to exist.
- Government: Substantial usage and contribution to OpenStreetMap by Governments. See the Government Usage page for more.
- Humanitarian Relief: The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team coordinates the creation, production and distribution of free mapping resources to support humanitarian relief efforts in many places around the world. There are many projects including WikiProject Haiti and 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami.
- Converting new datasets to OSM-data and improving existing conversions, see Sosi2osm, kartverket2osm, ENTURs public transport data, SentraltStedsnavnRegister2
- Looking into automating data updates ala the semi-automatic address-import and kindergarten-import
- Setting up new imports, see Norwegian import sources for an overview of possible sources
- Translation of OpenStreetMap related projects to Norwegian, see WikiProject_Norway/Translation