Note: Several cities in Colombia have their own working groups, and they have created guides to map them correctly, like in Bogota. For this reason, it is recommended to visit the list of cities in Colombia or towns in Colombia.
If you need to contact other mappers to validate something, you can visit the next page: Mappers in Colombia. Also, if you have been working a lot in a specific city or in Colombia, you can add your user to that page; you just need to create your own page in this wiki. If you want to contact the whole community, please visit the Contact section.
- The definition of the administrative boundaries for areas is defined here: Tag:boundary=administrative#Table 1: Countries using admin level 3.E2.80.9310.
- This is an article with the complete political division of Colombia (es).
- For the limits, naming and levels of departments, the DIVIPOLA (es) can be visited.
Several official institutions in Colombia had released their data maps, and they offer web services of them, which can be used to map.
- Colombia in Maps (Colombia en Mapas) - https://www.colombiaenmapas.gov.co/.
- SIG-OT - https://sigot.igac.gov.co/.
- IGAC Geoservices - https://geoportal.igac.gov.co/contenido/geoservicios. Select Catastro in WFS format to get the buildings.
- Colombian Infrastructure of Special Data (Infraestructura Colombiana de Datos Especiales) - https://www.icde.org.co/.
- DANE geoservices - https://geoportal.dane.gov.co/servicios/servicios-web-geograficos/. Select "División Político-Administrativa de Colombia 2012" (Politic-administrative division of Colombia 2012) to get the departments and municipalities (DIVIPOLA).
- IDEAM - http://geoapps.ideam.gov.co/geoserver/web.
- SIAC - http://www.siac.gov.co/sistemas-de-informacion.
If you are going to use JOSM, you can add the imagery as a new WMS. Remeber to get the layers, and put an appropriate name to the layer. When you commit your changes, the name of the layer will be added as the information source.
Communities of mappers
Colombia has different groups of mappers, where all of them are considered part of "Community of OpenStreetMap Colombian mappers". They can be contacted with the mail list, the Telegram account, the Twitter account or the Facebook account.
Also, there are groups for specific purposes, and they are listed in the communities (es) page.
This is the Colombian events list (es):
- (2023) Mapping constructions in Medellín.
- (2021) MaptimeBogota is organizing events on Saturday mornings to resolve notes. For more information, please visit Meetup MaptimeBogota.
- BusBoy.app - Public transport application for Duitama, Boyacá.
- Notes resolution - To process the open notes that currently exist in Colombia. (2022) All old notes were already closed.
- Challenges - Set of tasks to solve known issues with MapRoulette.
- Mapping ciclovía in Medellín (es).
- SIGenBici 2023 - Mapping bicycle infrastructure in Medellín. Guide (es).
- Mapping ciclovía in Bogotá (Finished).
- Maritime borders (es).
- Bot to fix street names: Botika.
- Tile server.
- ES:Colombia/Logo - Campaign to define a logo for the mappers community of Colombia.
- Colombia/OCHA Boundary Import - Import of administrative boundaries.
- umap - Web site to design maps with a specific purpose. The URL is: https://umap.openstreetmap.co/en/.
- Tasking Manager - Tasks management for activities in OSM map. The URL is: https://tareas.openstreetmap.co/ (temporary out of service).
Colombia has seen various humanitarian mapping initiatives, often as responses to natural disasters
- (2022) Landslide, Rosas, Cauca - Tasking Manager of HOT OSM.
- (2022) Sudden floods in Inzá, Cauca - Tasking manager of HOT OSM.
- 2017 Mocoa Colombia landslide - A big landslide happened in March, 2017.
- 2015 Salgar Colombia landslide - A big landslide happened in May, 2015.
- Tierralta - 2012 project to map this city using some special imagery as part of a project with the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross).
- 2011 Colombia floods.
- 2010 Colombia floods.
This is a guide to create good activations is response to disasters (es).
- One of the more measurable progresses is the quantity of resolved notes, because there had been created more than 13 000 notes and they were all closed at the beginning of January, 2022.
This is the guide to map Colombia. Besides this article, you can access the articles under Category:Colombian tagging guidelines for specific subjects; there are even more articles only in the Spanish version.
For JOSM, a custom validator for Colombia was created, which you can download directly from the applications, in the Validator section.
For bicycle infrastructure, the SIGenBici project (Medellín) has created a mapping guide, considering the typology of bikeways according to the guidelines of the Colombian Ministry of Transport and the separation tag proposal in order to incorporate information on cycleinfrastructure separation and demarcation from adjacent traffic modes.
- ES:Colombia/Cómo aportar (es) - Different ways to contribute to the OSM map from beginner (rookie) to advanced, with different tools.
- ES:Colombia/Falta de atribución (es) - How to contact an establishment that uses OSM maps and it does not include the proper attribution.
- ES:Colombia/List of natural national parks (es).
- ES:Colombia/List of national highways (es).
- ES:Colombia/Political division - Contains the relations of the administrative divisions (es).
- Cities of Colombia.
- TagInfo for Colombia.
- ES:Colombia/Web pages and mobile applications that use OpenStreetMap (es).
- Document templates for requests around OSM (es).
- Communities OSM preguntas y discusiones acerca de Colombia.
- Official Mailing List: Talk-co
|Colombia – Cities and major towns |
|Bogota · Medellin · Cali · Barranquilla · Cartagena · Cucuta · Bucaramanga · Villavicencio · Ibague · Santa Marta · Valledupar · Monteria · Pereira · Leticia · Manizales · Popayán · Yopal|
|México · Belize · Guatemala · Honduras · El Salvador · Nicaragua · Costa Rica · Panamá|
|Brasil · Colombia · Venezuela · Ecuador · Perú · Bolivia · Paraguay · Chile · Argentina · Uruguay · Guyana · Suriname · Guyane française|
|Cuba · Jamaica · Haiti · República Dominicana · Puerto Rico · British Virgin Islands · US Virgin Islands · Anguilla · Sint Maarten (NL) · St. Martin (FR) · St. Barthélemy · St. Eustatius · St. Kitts and Nevis · Antigua and Barbuda · Guadeloupe · Dominica · Martinique · St. Lucia · St. Vincent and the Grenadines · Barbados · Grenada · Trinidad and Tobago · Bonaire · Curaçao · Aruba|
|España · Portugal|