Mapping projects 是一些志同道合的人共同努力的产物。他们的共同愿望也许是为一些特殊的领域绘制地图，或者是根据自己感兴趣的主题改善已有的地图。Mapping projects中的一些项目已经包含了世界大多国家以及很多人们感兴趣的地区的地图;还有一些关于软件或服务的经营与发展的项目，正是他们使得OpenStreetMap的产生变为可能。
点击 List of territory based projects 可以查看到几乎每个国家地域的有关地图项目，其地图细化到了具体的城市区域的等级。
Special interest topics
- See also the Features category
很多OpenStreetMap社区内成员正着力绘制不同的地图要素. 点击 Features 察看各种各样的地图要素. 一些有趣的东西:
- Accessibility: accessibility (mapping for inclusive accessibility using OpenStreetMap for various groups, including the blind (see OSM for the blind), routing for people in wheelchairs (see wheelchair routing)
- Borders and administrative boundaries: WikiProject United Nations political boundaries and WikiProject Import WDB are project focused on importing information about political boundaries between countries and territories from UN sources and from the CIA World Database.
- Humanitarian relief: The humanitarian OpenStreetMap team coordinates the creation, production and distribution of free mapping resources to support humanitarian relief efforts in many places around the world. There will be many projects including WikiProject Haiti and 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami.
- Development partners: OpenStreetMap development partners lets international development and humanitarian organizations list point people that are working on OpenStreetMaps for better visibility and coordination.
- Infrastructure: At the heart of OSM is information about the road network (see Highways), railways (use Railways for a tagging introduction) and WikiProject Metro systems to find out about the project to map the world's metro systems. And then there is WikiProject Power networks which focuses on mapping the electric and gas distribution and generation systems.
- Marine and shipping: The OpenSeaMap project collects and adds information needed for navigation at sea including locations of lighthouses and details of harbours, and display it together with bathymetric data, weather charts and other dynamic data fo all water sport enthusiasts like sailors, divers, canoeists.
- Nature, conservation and environment: People in the environmental OSM project are active in adding information relevant to conservation of natural resources and habitats as well as important cultural heritage (see Conservation). Also waterways and WikiProject Corine Land Cover (which is about importing land cover/use information for Europe).
- Places of worship: WikiProject Latter-day Saints (mapping places of worship)
- Recreation/leisure: There are many groups mapping information relevant to different outdoor activities, including hiking, winter sports, WikiProject Whitewater maps, and IOF mapping (which is about creating orienteering sport maps).
- Collaborations: Wikipedia (interoperation with Wikipedia includes more than 1.7 MiB of data linking to Wikipedia-articles displayed in the map), WikiProject FLOSS (Supporting Free Libre and Open Source Software and geospatial software/data).
- Translation: There are several aspects of Translation in OpenStreetMap, including place names in the map itself. This is mostly coordinated under List of territory based projects but we also have WikiProject Esperanto and WikiProject Catalan
- WikiProject Cleanup (managing and improving this wiki)
- WikiProject Pictograms (creating and improving icons used on maps, particularly icons for point features)
- WikiProject Semantics (improving terms, classifications and ontologies used within OpenStreetMap)
- Routing (tagging to support routing by many transport modes)
- Indoor Mapping (mapping the interiors of buildings and structures)