Environmental OSM is a project to map out various systems that have an impact on the environment in hopes of helping to solve environmental problems.
Please use the discussion page to suggest and discuss other data we might survey and other uses for the data.
Objectives of Environmental OSM
- Improve the tagging schema for environmental data
- Define a strategy for surveying and providing this data throughout the wide environmental sector
- Create specific maps for specialist environmental uses
- Energy generators: power=generator (using generator:source=*, generator:method=* and generator:output=* to specify environmentally friendly technologies)
- Dirty energy / fossil fuels: man_made=petroleum_well
- Recycling bins: amenity=recycling
- Recycling centres: amenity=waste_transfer_station
- Reuse: amenity=public_bookcase
- Allotments: landuse=allotments
- Farms: landuse=farm
- Food markets: amenity=marketplace using sub-tags such as vegetables=yes
See Food security for related guidelines and ideas
- Railways (including underground, overground, tram, light rail, etc.)
See also: Sustainable Transport
Natural habitats / land use
- Recommendations for tagging of protected areas is outlined here: Protected_Area_Rendering
- Tree mapping natural=tree
- Page for approved natural=* and landuse=* tags: Vegetation
- ITO map now shows access to Greenspace (parks, leisure facilities etc) see Green_space_access
- Medway greenspaces
- MassGis Layer Openspace
Environmental Features in Development
- Species/Genus names have been proposed in natural=tree but taxon=* has also been proposed.
- Vegetation coverage values for areas have been proposed at the bottom of taxon=*
- Plant communities (National Vegetation Classification) proposal outlined in plant_community=*
- Habitat mapping proposal based on the Phase One Habitat survey in the habitat=* page
- Tagging the regulation of living modified organisms (LMO) including genetically modified organisms (GMO) — in French organismes génétiquement modifiés (OGM).
Related OSM Initiatives
- Ramsar Wetland data source imports
- London allotments "import"
- OpenEcoMaps e.g. Foraging for food map
- Environmental OSM: what can trees tell us about climate change?
- Corine Land Cover Import
- Environmental OSM academic research at the National University of Maynooth
- OpenHabitatMap Edinburgh, Scotland (beta)
- Massachusetts State GIS import
- EEA:Nationally designated areas import
- WikiProject African National Parks and Reserves
- Environmental-OSM: What can trees tell us about climate change?
- OSM > DWC > GBIF : Volunteered OSM - biodiversity data compatible with GBIF - Please verify contributions from “People Interested” (in the present page, below).
- World Database On Protected Areas and the Protected Planet interface by UNEP
- UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- The Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, for regulating the usage of living modified organisms (LMO) including genetically modified organisms (GMO), and of other biotechnologies, and for developing the sustainable agriculture and food security for health and preservation of resources and biodiversity.
- European Environment Agency data and maps
- The Nature Conservancy Atlas of Global Conservation
- Mapping for change
- Carbon Offset Map
- Farming Concrete
- Forest Carbon Portal
- Renewables Map UK
- Spatial Informatics Group: Environmental Mapping
- Open Data Platform by Footprint Network
- WikiProject Environment - a Wikipedia Project where we might be able to find other netizens willing to help this project.
(feel free to remove)
|Skills / Interests|
|Sam Larsen||English||New Zealand|
|Ana Lucia Zandomeneghi|
|Rosangela Ferreira dos Santos|
|Aline Gomes Zaffani|
|Sandra Cavalcante||Portuguese, English||Brazil||IT analyst, lawyer, environmental law specialist and PHD in Public Health|
|Jamie Gray § Environment||English||USA||UI / UX Design, Project Management|
|Sergey Golubev||Russian, English||Russia||Naturalist, cartographer, specialist in the study of the environment and vegetation|