Foundation/AGM19/Election to Board
Foundation members will vote to elect a new board at the 2019 Annual General Meeting in December.
Election to board
Four seats are available in this election (of Kate Chapman, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron and Frederik Ramm). Meanwhile the terms of Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe and Tobias Knerr continue. There are a total of seven seats on the foundation board.
- We are looking for a new Treasurer.
- The treasurer is keeping track of finances. This involves budgeting for the future, but also doing everyday transactions and providing the required transparency to OSMF members and authorities. The treasurer works closely with our (freelance) accountant.
If you see yourself as the OSMF's next treasurer, please read the email of our current treasurer, Frederik Ramm, and stand for election!
What the board is/is not, rules and responsibilities
- Scope of the OSMF board.
- Board Rules of Order
- These were the roles and responsibilities for the OSMF board, agreed in the 2014 board face-to-face meeting.
A lot of the foundation's work is done by the volunteers of our working groups, and if you want to help the foundation, you can also look at joining those.
If you are interested in hearing what it is like to be on the board please reach out to any board member.
You can also read the following posts:
- Joost Schouppe (2019-10)
- Frederik Ramm (2019-11, see also previous 2017 post)
- Heather Leson (2019-11)
Additional OSMF resources
Nominations have closed!
- Only normal members can be candidates for election to board.
- If you want to change your membership from associate to normal, please email the Membership Working Group (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, providing your residential address.
- Please add your information to the table below. If you are not familiar with wiki editing, please send your information to email@example.com
- Timeline: Submission of nominations (table below) and community questions has started. Deadline for nominations is before 00:01 (UTC) 10 Nov. (See the “Key dates” section for more)
|Result||Name||Nationality||Residence||OSMF member since (confirmation*)||OSMuser link||Manifesto|
|Elected||Guillaume Rischard||Luxembourgish||Luxembourg||2013-05-03 (confirmed)||Stereo (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Guillaume Rischard|
|Elected||Allan Mustard||American||USA||2016-10-07 (confirmed)||apm-wa (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Allan Mustard|
|Steve Coast||British and American||USA||2006-2016, 2019-10-03 (confirmed)||Steve (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Steve Coast|
|Eugene Alvin Villar||Filipino||Philippines||2016-12-15 (confirmed)||seav (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Eugene Alvin Villar|
|Elected||Mikel Maron||American||USA||2007-06-09 (confirmed)||Mikel (mikelmaron on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Mikel Maron|
|Elected||Rory McCann||Irish||Germany||2013-09-07 (confirmed)||Rorym (᚛ᚏᚒᚐᚔᚏᚔᚋ᚜ 🏳️🌈 on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Rory McCann|
|Clifford Snow||American||USA||2013-02-03 (confirmed)||Glassman (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Clifford Snow|
|Jinal Foflia||Indian||Singapore||2016-09-25 (confirmed)||jinalfoflia (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Jinal Foflia|
|Nuno Caldeira||Portuguese||Portugal||2018-10-18 (confirmed)||NunoCaldeira (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
|Gregory Marler||British||United Kingdom||2011-09-10 (confirmed)||LivingWithDragons (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Gregory Marler|
|Michal Migurski||American||USA||2016-07-28 (confirmed)||migurski (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Michal Migurski|
|Dietmar Seifert||German||Germany||2011-12-02 (confirmed)||Okilimu (okilimu on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)||Dietmar Seifert|
- Confirmation of normal membership and start date by the Membership Working Group or the OSMF Administrative Assistant.
Questions to Candidates
The deadline for members to post questions for the candidates -upon which the official questions will be based- has been reached. Thanks to all that have participated. Our election facilitator, Michael Collinson has published the official set of questions on Talk:Foundation/AGM19/Election to Board.
All candidates have now responded and the answers are compiled here.
This year (based on past discussions on osmf-talk and within the board) we will have a structured question gathering process.
- We invite members to post their questions to Talk:Foundation/AGM19/Election to Board, up to 2019-11-13 00:01 UTC (see the bottom of this page for other key dates).
- Michael Collinson, who will act as a facilitator, will gather the community questions, organise them and will publish an official set for the candidates.
- Candidates then will submit their answers to the official questions and their manifestos directly to him and cc our administrative assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org, cc email@example.com). It will be up to the candidates to answer all the questions or just a few of them, but our suggestion is to answer all of them.
- All answers and manifestos will be published at once by either the facilitator or the board.
- Discussion then will commence, until 2019-12-07 16:00 UTC when voting will open.
"We expect this to be the official election campaign process. We won't restrict members to continue to talk on our members' mailing list nor will we restrict candidates to continue discussions, but we don't encourage them to do so. The official answers and questions thereof should be what voters use to judge."
Expected time needed to answer official questions: 9-11 hours (based on estimates provided by 2018 candidates).
Facilitator: Michael Collinson was active 2006-2014ish as a board member, board secretary, SotM and chair of the Licensing Working Group. More recently, he acted as an election observer for HOT and OSM US. Active mapper from 2005 till now. (Source)
Written by the community, combine with your own judgement.
- Candidate answers translated into German
- OSMF-talk Mailing list threads: additional questions, summary discussions.
- Candidate cheatsheet - Westnordost
- Analysis and recommendations - Imagico
- Guidance for candidates - Imagico
- OpenStreetMap Forum (not discussion yet)
Manifesto (position statement)
First time writing a manifesto? You can check manifestos of previous board candidates:
Voting for election to board
Only fully paid up members will be able to vote, and only those who have already become members 30 days prior to the AGM date.
Voting will be organised in a similar way to previous years. Voting members will receive an email from the on-line voting service with links to the on-line ballot for each ballot measure. The election will be carried out under single transferable vote rules (STV). Each foundation member will cast their vote by ranking candidates according to their preference. A maximum of four will be elected.
See voting information and instructions for details.
Changes to the Articles of Association and to the Membership Fee Waiver program
Voting for resolutions
This year members will be voting on special and other resolutions. ("Special resolution" has the meaning given in section 283 of the Companies Act 2006).
Please see the related osmf-talk discussions:
-- discussion on initial suggested changes (doc)
-- discussion on revised document
- Voting for Articles of Association changes (special resolutions): The AoA changes require a majority of 75% of votes to pass, and only normal members can vote.
- Voting for change to the Membership Fee Waiver program: As this is not an AoA change, it only requires a 50% majority, and normal as well as associate members can vote.
|until 2019-11-01||Membership discussion about suggested AoA changes/fee waiver change (text not final).|
|2019-11-01||Start of submission of nominations (on this page) and questions (talk page).|
|2019-11-10 00:01 UTC||Deadline for members to put themselves forward for election by adding their information on the candidates' table of this page.|
|2019-11-13 00:01 UTC||Deadline for members to post questions for the candidates to talk page or osmf-talk mailing list.|
|2019-11-14 00:01 UTC||Deadline for becoming a new member eligible to vote + Soft deadline for official invitation (which will be sent before Nov 16th).|
|2019-11-16 "by the end of" (UTC)||Official set of questions published by the facilitator.|
|2019-11-27 00:01 UTC||Deadline for candidates to send answers and their manifestos to facilitator.|
|2019-11-30||Candidates' answers and manifestos published by the facilitator or the board.|
|2019-11-30 to 2019-12-07 16:00 UTC||Community discussion about answers.|
|2019-12-07 16:00 UTC||Voting opens (exactly 1 week before AGM).|
|2019-12-14 16:00 UTC||Deadline for voting. Start of Annual General Meeting on IRC.|
|~08 days||Community discussion about candidates' answers.|
Detailed results are available here.