OSM purity self-test
How much of an OpenStreetMapper are you? Now you can evaluate your own commitment/addiction. Each question will yield points depending on your (honest, of course) answer. Feel free to add questions. This is a wiki.
1: Do you own a GPS receiver?
- 0 points - what is GPS?
- 1 point - no, but I've been planning to get one
- 2 points - yes, and I'm collecting tracklogs for OSM
- 3 points - yes, I have more than one unit
- 4 points - yes, and I've built my own with a couple of microcontrollers and an altoids box
2: What is the furthest you've ever gone out of your way to get a new GPS track?
- 0 points - I only track my way when I'm already going some place
- 1 point - less than 10 km
- 2 points - up to 100 km
- 3 points - more than 100 km
- 4 points - crossed my country completely from north to south and west to east.
3: Do you travel more for mapping than for work?
- 0 points - no
- 1 point - yes
- 2 points - my 20 minute commute to work always takes 80 minutes because of the detours I take
- 3 points - I changed jobs, only to get another route to map
- 4 points - only reason for traveling is to survey
4: Do you know what OCOSMD is?
- 0 points - no, what's that?
- 1 point - yes, heard about it
- 2 points - I think I suffer from it
- 3 points - Yes, I keep being told I have it
- 4 points - I've been in rehabilitation and had at least two relapses
5: Do you know Steve Coast?
- 0 points - no, who's that?
- 1 point - yes, I've e-mailed him [and/or followed him on twitter or in (one of my) twitter list(s)]
- 2 points - I've met him in person
- 3 points - I am SteveC
- 4 points - I would like to be SteveC
- 5 points - I am Fake SteveC
6: Are you familiar with GPS moose tracking?
- 0 points - no, what's that?
- 1 point - yes, I've read about that
- 2 points - yes, I've been following a moose for more than three days
- 3 points - I am that moose
7: What injuries have you suffered while mapping?
- 0 points - none.
- 1 point - got a bit tired on my bike.
- 2 points - broken bones (or involved in an accident).
- 3 points - wounded pride.
- 4 points - All of the above.
8: Do you often say things such as "It will be fixed with API 0.7..."?
- 0 points - What's API 0.7?
- 1 point - Yes, it happens
- 2 points - I hacked and submitted patches to it.
- 3 points - I'm waiting for the PostGIS version!
9: What's the longest you've ever sat in front of your computer waiting for JOSM to complete an upload?
- 0 points - JOSM? What’s that?
- 1 point - up to 1 minute
- 2 points - up to 10 minutes
- 3 points - up to 1 hour
- 4 points - until bedtime
- 5 points - Cancelled the upload a week later
note: above times were actually possible before https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mmd/diary/392192 was released and uploads got much faster
10: Do you know the latitude and longitude of your home by heart?
- 0 points - no
- 1 point - with 1 decimals precision
- 2 points - with 2 decimals precision
- 3 points - with 3 or more decimals precision
- 4 points - and in UTM notation as well..
- 5 points - you moved to a house with easily memorable coordinates
11: Do you notice if an OSM server goes down
- 0 points - don't use them
- 1 point - occasionally see glitches
- 2 points - notice it very quickly, somewhat annoying
- 3 points - you have to go out for a ride to pass the time when servers not available
- 4 points -
your room goes quiet as the tiles@home render farm shuts-down(not available now)
- 4 points - server blown up by me
- 5 points - people starting asking you when you'll have it fixed
12: What do you do if the weather's too bad to go out mapping at the weekend
- 0 points - watch the TV
- 1 point - look at the OSM website to see how your area is getting on
- 2 points - work on OSM software of some sort
- 3 points - wander round your local streets with a GPS for about half an hour
- 4 points - catch the train, bus or drive to somewhere unmapped and map it anyway :-)
- 5 points - Go out regardless, nothing will stop you.
13: What features do you look for when buying a GPS?
- 0 points - price, performance, preloaded maps
- 1 point - battery life, number of tracklog points stored
- 2 points - exact chipset name for optimal receiver sensitivity in city centres
- 3 points - ability to delete non-free maps from it
- 4 points - I buy OpenMoko
14: OSM talks and conferences?
- 0 points - watched the podcast
- 1 point - attended one
- 2 points - presented at one
- 3 points - organised one
15: Ordnance Survey? (Or your country's National Mapping Agency)
- 0 points - used their maps for navigation
- 1 point - used their maps for inspiration
- 2 points - printed free replacements for their maps
- 3 points - got photographed doing amusing things to their corporate HQ
16: What did you do on the last maintenance weekend?
- 0 points - didn't notice OSM servers were down, being upgraded
- 1 point - going outside for a walk (and get some traces, by the way)
- 2 points - actively helping in the upgrade; threatening Nick if he didn't get the server up soon
- 3 points - crying in a corner and/or having prozac
17: GPS in your car?
- 0 points - none, or a TomTom navigator
- 1 point - a GPS capable of making traces...
- 2 points - ... rigged to the speedometer to interpolate the data ...
- 3 points - ... and your car has video cameras on all sides, recording everything
- 4 points - motorcycle with "surveying" sign in the windscreen
18: When surveying by bike, how do you approach 'no cycling' footpaths?
- 0 points - I get off and push, because I don't want to get into trouble
- 1 point - I continue cycling, but slowly
- 2 points - I get off and push, because I'm wearing an "OpenStreetMap Surveyor" hi-vis jacket, and maintaining the public image of the project is paramount at all times
- 3 points - Don't be silly, I don't have time to dismount. There's a whole world out there which needs surveying. And if there's a cycle barrier, I bunny-hop it at speed.
19: Have you ever suggested a new tag?
- 0 points - This is something for the freaks. I just use what is there.
- 1 point - I suggested one.
- 2 points - I have suggested several tags.
- 3 points - I find new things daily that I can't tag with the current tags. I have to suggest a lot of tags.
- 4 points - Tags? I've invented a completely new data structure without tags. We should change to my data structure rather soon!
20: When buying a new car, what is the first thing you look at?
- 0 points - The looks! And what a stereo!
- 1 point - The power - gotta be quick getting those traces.
- 2 points - Consumption and realiability - needs to endure lots of mapping parties...
- 3 points - It doesn't have a thermal glass windscreen, does it?
21: Someone tells you they're "five minutes away". You:
- 0 points - expect them to arrive in about five minutes
- 1 point - are vaguely annoyed that they're using time to measure distance
- 2 points - ask them if that's in latitude or longitude
- 3 points - deride them for not converting to decimal degrees
- 4 points - ask them to specify what projection they're using
22: What does your spouse/partner think of OpenStreetMap?
- 0 points - utterly baffled and has been known to utter the phrase "I don't see why you don't just use Google"
- 1 point - resigned to your peculiarities (hey, that's why they love you)
- 2 points - has occasionally picked you up in the car after you've punctured while surveying
- 3 points - partner? I have no time for such frivolities, I'm too busy mapping
- 4 points - you are married to/going out with an active OpenStreetMapper
23: To what level of detail do you map?
- 0 points - just the road names
- 1 point - + landuse and/or footpaths
- 2 points - + common amenities (post boxes etc.)
- 3 points - + all buildings and shops
- 4 points - + every single tree/lamppost/parking meter/manhole/etc...
24: How frequently do you map?
- 0 points - a few minutes a week or less
- 1 point - up to 3 hours a day
- 2 points - more than 3 hours a day
- 3 points - more than 4 hours a day, both at home and at work
- 4 points - can't remember because I don't sleep enough due to mapping
25: How frustrated are you?
- 0 points - everything works fine, thank you
- 1 point - my GPS lost points, I have to go back there and record again
- 2 points - I didn't notice the exact name or start and end points or a road or other point of interest, I need to go back there
- 3 points - my GPS isn't accurate enough, I can't draw exact ways or positions, I need to apply to secret services to get a precise GPS receiver
- 4 points - OSM servers and/or my computer are too slow, I can't stand waiting, I'm destroying my PC with anger
- 5 points - all of the above
26: You’re invited to a party.
- 0 points - Great, something else than mapping for once.
- 1 point - I’ll track my way there with my GPS
- 2 points - … and map the party, too
- 3 points - … and show anybody my phone’s OSM apps
- 4 points - … and recruit at least two new mappers
27: New mapper recruitments?
- 0 points - Nobody (as an aside: where are your friends?)
- 1 point - One a week
- 2 points - Your grandmother (did you do vacuum cleaner business before?)
28: OSM as your Desktop background
- 0 points - What a strange idea.
- 1 point - Tempting. I'll use Bigmap.
- 2 points - Already done...
- 3 points - ...and automatically updated every week with the noname layer.
29: Sunday stroll: "Hey, wait a minute, this bench isn’t mapped yet!" How do your friends react?
- 0 points - "What the f*ck are you talking about?"
- 1 point - "Here we go again!"
- 2 points - "Reload your data, I put it in this morning!"
- 3 points - "Right, let’s ascertain the seats=* value straight away!"
30: Do you do armchair mapping?
- 0 points - Sure, I copy up to 20 forests a week from Bing.
- 1 point - Sure, I copy up to 20 forests a week from Bing, using hundreds of natural=tree nodes instead of a single landuse=forest polygon each (as the beginners do).
- 2 points - I found a way to read the collection times on post boxes in Bing.
- 3 points - Wait, we map armchairs? Is the amenity=armchair proposal already on?
31: When you walk down the street, do you think about how you would map what you see?
- 0 points - No, what madness!
- 1 point - Rarely, although it has ever happened to me.
- 2 points - Yes, sometimes I think how I would map what I see.
- 3 points - Sure, very often. I really enjoy doing it!
- 4 points - When I walk down the street I only see tags, nodes, ways and relations.
Sum up your points and divide by the number of questions to get an average score. More questions might be added later.
Add your score to the list below. It is in average-score decreasing order.
If your average score is above 2, you might need therapy for your OSM addiction.
|Average||Score/Questions||Notes and signature|
|2.42||29/12||I need help. Now... ;) Dutch 18:59, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|2.384615...||62/26||I wonder if my health insurrance is going to pay for the therapy TigerDuck 12:49, 5 June 2009 (CEST)|
|2.33||49/21||What's the problem? --EdoM (lets talk about it) 16:28, 2 January 2008 (UTC)|
|2.14||45/21||Now I can finally apply for a therapy... GabrielEbner 16:49, 2 January 2008 (UTC)|
|2.14||60/28||Deep therapy may be required, but only if there is something wrong with being a good volunteer Stevea 10:50, 6 February 2016 (UTC)|
|2.13||32/15||It's not a problem. I can stop any time I want. Just going out to the pub now the GPS batteries are charged.... Jon 14:12, 7 May 2007 (BST)|
|2.12||53/25||Oh-oh. It's gone up a bit since the last time I measured it.... Gravitystorm 15:28, 24 October 2008 (UTC)|
|2.1||21/10||that's not too bad, is it? Dtucny 17:26, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|2.10||59/28||I Ain't need no therapy... --knarF 14:04, 22 August 2010 (BST)|
|2.0769||54/26||=) Bürste 11:30, 5 June 2009 (UTC)|
|2||52/26||Smsm1 11:50, 5 June 2009 (UTC)|
|1.916||23/12||thevikas 04:20, 20 June 2008 (UTC)|
|1.9||28/15||What is moose tracking anyway? --Farzaneh 16:05, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.88||47/25||Oh sh*t I beat ben. I'm seriously f*cked blackadder 11:25, 20 February 2009 (UTC)|
|1.84||35/19||I'm kinda happy I got so low Ben 06:53, 14 June 2007 (BST)|
|1.82||51/28||Anyone want to sell me a bike? AM909 15:46, 15 June 2010 (UTC)|
|1.82||51/28||I had several hobbies before I got to know OSM and I had anough time for those, now I have only one hobby and no enough time for it. Only stopping factor to get completely mad is my family :) User:isindir 21:18 25 Dec 2010 (UTC)|
|1.8||27/15||--Nick 09:31, 8 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.8||27/15||Have worn the chain, chainset, gripshifts and brakes from my bike at least once; althought I've considered strapping a GPS to my cat, I'm sure he couldn't be trained to only follow unmapped streets. Welshie 20:00, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.75||28/16||Began in March 2010, will do it every now and then; but I love you work!! jaspis 09:24, 08 July 2010 (MESZ)|
|1.67||5/3||Waiting for more questions to be added. --LA2 13:23, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.66||15/15||--Richard 16:54, 7 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.65||43/26||--Dieterdreist 13:09, 15 June 2009 (UTC) - don't need a car to map though|
|1.62||42/26||-- MikeCollinson 16:04, 24 June 2009 (UTC) - The car questions have also save me from being a burden on the Swedish mental health system. BTW, is my score in feet or metres?|
|1.6||24/15||Planning to take over the spanish National Geographic Institute. Wrongly accused of being in rehab. Twice. Ivansanchez 22:04, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.6||40/25||My wife always shouts out things like "Are you working on that map again?" or "Step out of that map and wash the dishes!" She eased a little bit off when I could find my way back to the main road using our GPS when being lost in a large city. --Skippern 00:48, 9 September 2008 (UTC)|
|1.571||44/28||Good thing theres a few cycling questions, or Id probably be over 2.0 --Dvaey 11:55, 15 Jun 2010 (BST)|
|1.533||23/15||--Dean Earley 21:19, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.48||46/31||Still in the average somewhere, what a relief ! --Bert Araali (talk) 02:46, 4 March 2021 (UTC)|
|1.48||37/25||There are 4 easy points in there. Who spots them? --Mdeen 10:42, 21 September 2008 (UTC) (AKA SteveC)|
|1.47||25/17||I my wife knew!--Alban 20:38, 8 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.45||45/31||This seems a little low --kechan 13:17, 6 September 2023 (MDT)|
|1.45||16/11||I must try harder! AndyS|
|1.45||16/11||though question 3 is a bit unfair on those of us who eschew cars. How about the number of brake cable replacements due to OSM-cyclitis? TomChance 18:49, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.393||39 / 28||Last time I took it, it was at 0.875. But I'm not on the road to rehab. -Ianlopez1115 12:40, 6 January 2010 (UTC)|
|1.36||15/11||I was let down somewhat by the fact I don't have a car. Does wandering around random streets on a foul Sunday evening in December count? :-) Hence the 12th question. Nick W|
|1.3571429||38/28||I see that my score have decreased a bit after my son was born. It is obviously helping me avoid rehab :D --Skippern 10:21, 8 August 2009 (UTC)|
|1.3548||42/31||I Can't Stop Me. - Twice --Lectrician1 (talk) 21:27, 21 November 2020 (UTC)|
|1.35||17/15||I did strap GPS to a pony. Between his ears. Does that count as moose tracking when I rode that pony? Pavel 23:47, 11 May 2007 (MET)|
|1.3333||36/27||Oh Gosh! In the last year I'm getting worst Ale_Zena_IT 22:40, 24 October 2010 (UTC)|
|1.3333||12/9||I need to buy a bicycle! Dhiegov (talk) 14:16, 11 February 2019 (UTC)|
|1.32||37/28||Gorm 10:09, 12 November 2009 (UTC)|
|1.29||22/17||dotbaz 20:43, 9 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.29||22/17||I am average :) Gints 20:00, 7 Aug 2007 (EET)|
|1.25||10/8||nrms 13:56, 4 June 2008 (BST)|
|1.23||38/31||Need to do better! ortho_is_hot 00:45, 15 November 2021 (UTC)|
|1.13||17/15||I have considered strapping a GPS to a pony. Does that count as moose tracking? Higgy 19:29, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|1.129||35/31||Luckily still not needing professional help --mnalis (talk)|
|1.08||27/25||And it's only my 3rd month mapping. Bielawski 22:15, 7 November 2008 (UTC)|
|1.0714||30/28||Trouble is, now I've answered all the questions, they've given me more OSM ideas. Wessexmario 19:39, 5 September 2009 (UTC)|
|1.0714||30/28||Hey, 1 new mapper per week is hard. My desktop wallpaper is even an interactive OSM map (thanks kde+marble) --Vincent De Phily 16:49, 3 May 2011 (BST)|
|1.0714||30/28||François Van Der Biest 16:24, 15 June 2010 (UTC)|
|1.05||22/21||Wait until I finish my PhD. To much automotive questions. Steelman 19:39, 8 January 2008 (UTC)|
|1.00||19/19||Shockingly low. Bruce89 21:38, 27 May 2007 (BST)|
|1||15/15||And here I thought I had a problem. Gravitystorm 23:00, 6 May 2007 (BST)|
|0.93||26/28||I'm considering emigrating to a country that has less OSM coverage, but that isn't one of the questions. --Jeff 11:52, 6 January 2010 (UTC)|
|0.89||25/28||I've got life, Mother… --grin ✎ 14:07, 17 June 2011 (BST)|
|0.88||22/25||The score was pulled down by the fact that I have to do both my studies and my work... --Direc 16:26, 21 September 2008 (UTC)|
|0.88||22/25||I don't have a car. And I do have job... But my wife love exploring city :) --SoNick_RND 16:25, 28 May 2009 (GMT+4 (Russia summertime)|
|0.83||15/18||Does cycling with my children in the kid car count as moose email@example.com 15 May 2007|
|0.76||19/25||It's just the begining... -- nin2jardin 10:13, 20 November 2008 (UTC)|
|0.75||21/28||jose1711, 29 October 2009|
|0.7096774193548||22/31||I guess its an okay score... --BubbaJuice (talk) 21:21, 30 May 2021 (UTC)|
|0.65||15/23||There's so much to come? Crazy ... -- Skunk 09:48, 9 August 2008 (UTC)|
|0.6451612903225806||20/31||What's a party? And what's a friend? Le Sharkoïste (talk) 11:58, 11 July 2023 (UTC)|
|0.4516129032||14/31||I only joined yesterday higuys153 3:59, 9 May 2023 (AEST)|
|0.36||9/25||I guess that in a year from now, I will see this page again and be surprised how low I was back then... Mystwalker 17:18, 8 March 2009 (UTC)|
|0.22||7/31||...and I thought that I spent quite a bit of time on this stuff... --PeterPan99 (talk) 11:01, 14 December 2020 (UTC)|