|latitude: 31.45, longitude: 35|
|Browse map of Israel 31°27′00″ N, 35°00′00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Israel is a country in Asia at latitude 31°27′00″ North, longitude 35°00′00″ East.
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under the OpenStreetMap License.|
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Israel. Any guides or conventions on this page should be discussed in the forum, feel free to comment or help (mapping your area, tagging streets or correcting this page).
- 1 Discussion and Communication
- 2 Conventions and Guidelines
- 3 Conventions for Hiking and Biking Trails
- 4 Lists and Features of Interest
- 5 Bots and Imports
- 6 Maps
- 7 People Involved
- 8 See Also
Discussion and Communication
The Israel users forum is the main communication method. English only. Sign in with your OpenStreetMap DB account.
Talk-il is a mailing list is for discussion about mapping Israel, and for easy communication between mappers from Israel. English & Hebrew are allowed. The list is not as active as the forum, but it may still be useful esp. for those who do not have an OSM account.
The talk page can be used for communication, but the forum is more active.
Conventions and Guidelines
This section covers conventions and guidelines. Note that there are also additional guidelines for hiking and biking trials in the next section.
- The "name" tag should be used as the primary name, in the language most common in the area. The "name" tag should contain the name in only one language. Use other "name:*" for other languages.
- Never use a "name" tag alone. Always use a "name:lang" tag in addition to the "name" tag. e.g. If a shop has a "name" tag in Hebrew, the same name should also be in "name:he".
- Use the "name:he" tag for adding street names in Hebrew.
- Use the "name:en" tag for the English name (prefer the exact spelling as it is on the street sign!)
- Use the "name:ar" tag for the Arabic name
- Use the "name:ru" tag for the Russian name
- Use the "name:am" tag for the Amharic name
- Add the full name written on the sign, don't include "rehov", "street", etc.
- Do not use shortcuts, let the renderers do this.
- Many streets in Arab/Druze villages do not have any official name. If there's a de-facto name, use it. Otherwise leave it blank. Do not invent a name yourself. Note that bus-stop names do not necessarily reflect the street name in such areas.
First rule for numbered roads: The category is determined by the color of the sign, not by the number of digits!
Different sections with the same road number can have different categories.
Speed limit is only the upper maximum that is allowed on this street type and if no sign defines something lower.
|OSM Definition||Explanation||Color||Example sign||Maximum Speed limit||OSM Key:ref tag on way||Description|
|motorway||All freeways - National and Inter-City roads||BLUE||110 km/h||mandatory for all highway=motorway||Many of them have one digit (example road 2) or two digits (example road 20). Mapnik color : Blue|
|trunk||National roads||RED||100 km/h||mandatory for all highway=trunk [incl. roundabout]||Expressways / Trunk in Israel can look very much like a freeway. Many of them have two digits in the sign (example road 10). Mapnik color : Green|
|primary||All regional roads||GREEN||90 km/h||mandatory for all highway=primary [incl. roundabout]||Many of them have three digits in the sign (example road 412). Mapnik color : Red|
|secondary||All regional roads||BROWN / BLACK||80 km/h||only if exist|| Many of them have four digits in the sign (example road 4111). Priority over other crossing roads (the other roads have a stop sign)
[Exception]: Roads that are more important for routing connections than a normal tertiary road. Here is one example of such a exception in Hadera: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=24873711. Mapnik color : Orange
|tertiary||all importand (connection-) roads||not numbered and no colored sign||no sign||80 km/h||no||Priority over other crossing roads (the other roads have a stop sign). Main roads inside of the city are Tertiary. Mapnik color : Yellow|
Other Road Types
|OSM Definition||Explanation||Implied Access|
|unclassified||Smaller paved roads in non-residential places. e.g. agricultural roads, forest roads, roads from behind one village to behind another village, etc.||motor_vehicle=yes, bicycle=yes, foot=yes|
|residential||Roads in residential places (city, town, village, etc.)||motor_vehicle=yes, bicycle=yes, foot=yes|
|service||Short access roads: roads in parking lots, fuel stations, inside universities, inside factories, etc.||motor_vehicle=yes, bicycle=yes, foot=yes|
|track||Unpaved road suitable for motor vehicles (Double).||motor_vehicle=yes, bicycle=yes, foot=yes|
|path||A pathway too narrow for vehicles, accessible by foot, bicycle, and horse. Usually Unpaved. Use "bicycle=designated" where the path is part of a bicycle trail. Consider using the more specific footway or cycleway tags if applicable.||motor_vehicle=no, bicycle=yes, foot=yes, horse=yes|
|footway||Mainly, or exclusively for pedestrians. Use bicycle="yes" if bicycles are also allowed.||motor_vehicle=no, bicycle=no, foot=designated.|
|cycleway||Mainly, or exclusively for bicycles. Use foot="yes" if people are also allowed.||motor_vehicle=no, bicycle=designated, foot=no.|
|pedestrian||Where people walk and there are many shops. Like "Midrahov", or "Passage", etc.||motor_vehicle=no, bicycle=yes, foot=yes, horse=yes|
|living_street||"רחוב הולנדי" - Residential road where there is no sidewalk or other separation between pedestrians and vehicles.||motor_vehicle=yes, bicycle=yes, foot=yes, horse=yes|
|road||Temporary tagging, if the type is unknown. Try to add a "note" tag.||motor_vehicle=yes, bicycle=yes, foot=yes, horse=yes|
A place should have a node and a polygon.
The node tells the renderer where to draw the name of the place. It also should have all the tags related to the place, like population, wikipedia, etc. It should have all the various names with different spelling, e.g. name, name:en, name* and name:* tags.
The polygon should only have the following tags:
- name tags
All the other tags belong to the node. A place often has a related administrative boundary, too.
For neighborhoods a polygon isn't always used and a node can be sufficient.
- 2 - National Border
- 4 - District (מחוז)
- 5 - Sub-District (נפה) - Currently unmapped in OSM. Click for a Wikipedia list.
- 6 - Natural Region (אזור טבעי) - Currently unmapped in OSM.
- 7 - metropolitan area (מטרופולין) - Currently unmapped in OSM. Click for a Wikipedia list.
- 8 - Municipalites (cities), Local Councils, Regional Councils
- 9 - Borough (רובע)
- 10 - Neighborhood (שכונה)
Thanks to the MOIN Import We are able to map townhalls, local municipalities, and regional municipalities.
A municipality should have a relation with one node with role admin_centre, and one or more ways, to form closed polygon(s).
The relation should have the following tags:
The nodeadmin_centre node should be a place node, or an amenity=townhall node in the case of a regional council.
The ways that comprise the polygon that are sourced from the MOIN import should have the following tags:
Conventions for Hiking and Biking Trails
Every marked trail should be represented by a relation and tagged according to the guidelines below.
|type=*||route||Mandatory. The relation represents a route.|
|route=*||hiking / bicycle / mtb (mountainbike)||Mandatory. The trail kind of the route.|
|network=*||nwn / rwn / lwn / ncn / rcn / lcn|| Mandatory. Level of the trail.
|operator=*||itc/kkl/rtg/user-defined|| Mandatory. The authority that built and maintains the route.
|osmc:symbol=*||The shield of the route, used for rendering.|| Mandatory for ITC trails. Machine readable value for the route's colors and how the marking (shield) should look like.
For the single-colored routes, the value should follow this example: red:white:red_stripe, which means: red colored way is drawn with white background and a red vertical stripe. In particular, the foreground color and the stripe color should be equal to the "colour" tag of every way in the trail ("red" in the above example). The shield background color should always be "white".
A transparent shield would be tagged with osmc:symbol=black:white.
Tags for three-colored trail marks, such as Israel Trail and Golan Trail, should follow this example: blue:white:blue_stripe:orange_stripe_left, which means: blue colored way, white background shield, a blue vertical stripe in the middle, and an orange vertical stripe on the left.
|tracktype=*||grade1/grade2/grade3/grade4/grade5|| Highly Recommended. For highway=track only: which kinds of vehicles can use the track.
|name=*||a name||Highly Recommended. The route is known by this name (e.g. "Shvil Israel", "Golan Trail"). The name should be preferably specified in Hebrew.|
|name:en=*||a name||Optional. The English route name.|
|name:he=*||a name||Optional. Identical to the name attribute above.|
|ref=*||a reference||Optional. The route number as specified by the Israel Trail Committee.|
- Add a colour tag to ways belonging to the "single-color routes" (i.e. with itc:type=standard). Note that the spelling is "colour" and not "color"! When a trail has different ITC and KKL colors, use the ITC color.
- Add a source tag to ways belonging to the trail. Common source tags are source=GPS and source=bing. The source tag is an indicator of the accuracy of the trail position. GPS-based mapping is preferred and it can replace bing-based mapping.
Lists and Features of Interest
- Israel 1473946
- Israel & Palestine 6195356
- Northern District 1375620
- Haifa District 1400966
- Central District 1400928
- Judea and Samaria1803010 (See note)
- Tel-Aviv District 1400916
- Jerusalem District 1384720
- Southern District 1473952
Note: Districts are legal, administrative boundaries. Judea and Samaria is almost the same as the West Bank but it excludes East Jerusalem, which is part of the Jerusalem district.
- Palestine 1703814 - A relation consisting of both Gaza Strip and West Bank
- West Bank 1613659 - Divided into Areas A,B,C.
- Gaza Strip 1473938PL control, de facto Hamas control. - De jure
- 1949 Armistice Line (הקו הירוק - The Green Line) 7304999 - Proposed border. Exact location highly disputed in practice. Do not exclusively rely on this for travel / passport related activities. See also: 7323654 .
- Seperation Wall 1410327
- Physical separation barrier.
- (See also 1948518 , 1948505 )
- Area A 3791783 - Exclusive PL control.
- Area B 3791784 - PL civil control, IL military control.
- Area C 3791785 - IL control.
cbs.gov.il has lists of all populated places. (Last update 31/12/2015)
National and Regional Trails
Branches and Brands
Tel Aviv Bicycle Rentals
Bots and Imports
Below is a list of major imports and active bots.
SwiftFast_bot is a bot which does several tasks. Among other things, it ensures the branches of multi-branch companies and brands have the same tags according to these templates. More info can be found on its Wiki page.
KKL Forest Import
KKL donated shape files for its managed forests.
Bus Stop Import
Israel public GTFS data was used. Changeset #12028672. Discussion: https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=653719
Tel Aviv Address Import
- Jerusalem [map]
- Netanya [map]
- Tel-Aviv [map]
- Raanana [map]
- Haifa [map]
- Or-Yehuda [map]
- Quiryat Ono [map]
- Hadera (חדרה) [map]
See also: Category:Users_in_Israel
Note: Both lists may be out of date.
- Arie Skliarouk
- Edoardo Marascalchi
- Baruch Even
- Yuri Magrisso
- Ophir Oren
- Haifa Wadis Trail
- Zeev Stadler - Israel Hiking Map
- Harel M - Israel Hiking Map
- valleyofdawn - Israel Hiking Map
- SwiftFast (and SwiftFast_bot)