|Author:||Victor Shcherb and contributors|
|License:||GPL v3 (free or 5.99€)|
Navigation (routing) offline and online, OSM and custom map display (vector data or tiles, offline, cached or online), POI and address search (offline or online Nominatim), submit OSM bugs and POI, mark favorites, public transport info. Actively being developed.
Keywords: GPS navigator, GPS navigation, navigation system, satellite navigation, sat nav, satnav, GPS tracker, GPS tracking, GPS map, OpenStreetMap, OSM viewer, map viewer, OSM mapping, offline routing, offline world map, global offline country maps, outdoor.
OsmAnd (OpenStreetMap Automated Navigation Directions) is an open source, global mobile map viewing & navigation app for offline and online OSM maps app (for Android and some other operating systems).
- 1 Download & installation
- 2 Features
- 3 Some advanced fragments of information about OsmAnd offline vector map data
- 4 Examples of OSM POI categories supported in OsmAnd
- 5 Contribute to OSM via OsmAnd
- 6 Screenshots
- 7 Customizing OsmAnd
- 8 Resources
Download & installation
There are several versions and sources of OsmAnd:
- OsmAnd+: 6.99€/$7.99. Latest market release, without limitations. (Also available at 5.99€/$8.26 on AndroidPit);
- OsmAnd: Free. Latest market release, with two limitations: only 10 internal downloads of maps, and no Wikipedia POI;
- OsmAnd~: Free. No limitations, maintained by F-Droid. You can donate to support the project;
- Night Build: Free. Latest development build for manual installation. Select the OsmAnd-nightly.apk package, but be aware that it can be unstable or experimental, and manual installations are not auto-updated.
For more versions and other operating systems (BlackBerry, etc.), see OsmAnd's official installation page.
If you use a free version, you may want to donate to the OsmAnd project.
OsmAnd is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap data. All map data can be stored on your device's memory card for offline use. Via your device's GPS, OsmAnd offers routing, with optical and voice guidance, for car, bike, and pedestrian. All the main functionalities work both online and offline (no internet needed).
OsmAnd+ is the pay-version of the app. By buying OsmAnd+ you support the project and development of new features.
Some of the main features:
- Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
- Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices using TalkBack)
- Optional lane and turn lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
- Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
- Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
- Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), by geographical coordinates, or along the route
- Mark road as impassable per session
- Display your position and orientation on the map
- Optionally align the map according to compass or your direction of motion
- Save your most important places as Favorites
- Display POIs (point of interests) around you
- Can display online tile maps
- Can display satellite view (from Bing)
- Can display different overlays like touring/navigation GPX tracks and additional maps with customizable transparency
- Optionally display place names in English, local, or phonetic spelling
- Different mappaint styles
Use OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia data
- High quality information from the best collaborative projects in the world
- Global maps from OpenStreetMap, available per country or region
- Wikipedia POIs, great for sightseeing (not available in the free version)
- Unlimited free download, directly from the app (free version has a limit of 10 in-app map downloads; more maps can be downloaded via PC from http://download.osmand.net/list.php ; see How to Download Data for details)
- Always up-to-date maps (usually 1-2 updates per month)
- Compact offline vector maps
- Select between complete map data and just road network (Example: All of Japan is 700 MB, or 200 MB for the road network only)
- Also supports online or cached tile maps
- Optional automated day/night view switching
- Optional speed limit display, with reminder if you exceed it
- Optional speed-dependent map zooming
- Share your location so that your friends can find you
Bicycle and pedestrian features
- The maps include foot, hiking, and bike paths, great for outdoor activities
- Special routing and display modes for bike and pedestrian
- Optional public transport stops (bus, tram, train) including line names
- Optional trip recording to local GPX file or online service
- Optional speed and altitude display
- Display of contour lines and hill-shading (via additional plugin)
Directly contribute to OpenStreetMap
- Report map bugs
- Upload GPX tracks to OSM directly from the app
- Add POIs and directly upload them to OSM (or later if offline)
- Optional trip recording also in background mode (while device is in sleep mode)
OsmAnd is open source and actively being developed. Everyone can contribute to the application by reporting bugs, improving translations, or coding new features. The project is in a lively state of continuous improvement by all these forms of developer and user interaction. The project progress also relies on financial contributions to fund the development, coding, and testing of new functionalities. By buying OsmAnd+ you help the application to be even more awesome! It is also possible to fund specific new features, or to make a general donation on osmand.net.
Some advanced fragments of information about OsmAnd offline vector map data
- offline map data files that can be used with OsmAnd have *.obf as file extension.
- in latest versions of these map files all vector map data, POIs and address indexes for offline search are included.
- you can generate your own *.obf files by getting fresh raw OSM data for example via geofabrik.de or cloudmade.com, then process these osm files with OsmAndMapCreator (Java program for desktop PC) that is offered at Osmand's Google-website (try to get latest nightly build).
- when you have several *.obf files for single regions of a certain country, you can combine them with inspector.bat or inspector.sh that is delivered with OsmAndMapCreator. Start this script on a command line without any parameters to see all options and proceed.
- Maybe there is a named street in the OSM data, but OsmAnd cannot find it via its offline address search? Run the above mentioned inspector with parameter -v and [nameofyourmapfile].obf >list.txt ... this will give you a text file with all places that are within that obf file and all streets that are associated to that place. Thus you can find out whether OsmAnd's street list is incomplete (this can have several reasons like missing administrative borders etc.)
Examples of OSM POI categories supported in OsmAnd
- sustenance (bar, bbq, biergarten, cafe, drinking_water, fast_food, food_court, pub, restaurant)
- education (college, kindergarten, library, school, university)
- transportation (bicycle_parking, bicycle_rental, bus_station, car_rental, car_sharing, car_wash, ferry_terminal, fuel, grit_bin, parking, taxi)
- finance (atm, bank, bureau_de_change)
- healthcare (baby_batch, dentist, doctors, first_aid, hospital, pharmacy, veterinary)
- entertainment (architect_office, arts_centre, brothel, cinema, community_center, fountain, nightclub, sauna, stripclub, studio, theatre)
- tourism (alpine_hut, artwork, attraction, camp_site, caravan_site, chalet, guest_house, hostel, hotel, information, motel, museum, picnic_site, theme_park, viewpoint, zoo)
- historic (archaeological_site, battlefield, boundary_stone, castle, fort, memorial, monument, ruins, wayside_cross, wayside_shrine, wreck)
- natural (bay, beach, cave_entrance, cliff, coastline, fell, glacier, heath, land, marsh, mud, peak, sand, scree, scrub, spring, stone, tree, volcano, water, wetland)
- shop (alcohol, bakery, beauty, beverages, bicycle, books, boutique, butcher, car, car_repair, charity, chemist, clothes, computer, confectionery, department_store, doityourself, dry_cleaning, electronics, fabrics, farm, florist, funeral_directors, furniture, garden_centre, general, gift, glaziery, greengrocer, hairdresser, hardware, hearing_aids, hifi, ice_cream, jewelry, kiosk, laundry, mall, massage, money_lender, motorcycle, newsagent, optician, organic, outdoor, pawnbroker, second_hand, shoes, sports, stationary, supermarket, tattoo, toys, travel_agency, variety_store, video)
- leisure (common, dance, dog_park, fishing, garden, golf_course, ice_rink, nature_reserve, marina, miniature_golf, park, pitch, playground, sports_centre, slipway, stadium, track, water_park)
- sport (10pin, archery, athletics, australian_football, baseball, basketball, beachvolleyball, boules, bowls, canoe, chess, climbing, cricket, cricket_nets, croquet, cycling, diving, dog_racing, equestrian, football, golf, gymnastics, hockey, horse_racing, ice_stock, korfball, motor, multi, orienteering, paddle_tennis, paragliding, pelota, racquet, rowing, rugby, shooting, skateboard, skating, skiing, soccer, swimming, table_tennis, team_handball, tennis, toboggan, volleyball)
- other (bench, clock, courthouse, crematorium, embassy, emergency_phone, fire_hydrant, fire_station, grave_yard, hunting_stand, internet_access, marketplace, place_of_worship, police, post_box, post_office, prison, public_building, recycling, shelter, telephone, toilets, townhall, vending_machine, waste_basket, waste_disposal)
Contribute to OSM via OsmAnd
OsmAnd supports directly contributing to the OSM database, both online and offline. Corrections are either uploaded to the OSM database instantly, or in offline mode, must be manually uploaded later. You will need to register with OSM first, and activate the Settings > Plugins > OSM Editing plugin in OsmAnd.
To e.g. add a POI:
- Click (long press) on a location on the map you want the POI to appear
- Click on the gray location box
- Select "Create POI"
- Type in the information in each of the fields. The other box automatically adds the key for each value selected.
- Adding address is still a little clunky but can be done.
- Select "Advanced Mode"
- Select "Add Tag"
- Type "A" in the tag box. You can't see the whole field, so you just have to remember what spot each value is in.
- Type the value in
- Click submit
Create your own maps
Define your own rendering style
OsmAnd already contains a number of specialized Map styles, from the map screen check them out by tapping the devices menu button, select "Define View", then "Configure screen", examples are the "Touring view" map style allowing some advanced options for options for hiking and bike tours, or the "Winter+ski" map style for skiing trips.
You may also define your own map style. This is a bit involved, please check out our forum, our HowTo pages, and start from the depends rendering template. Edit the file as you wish, rename it XXX.render.xml and place it on your device under /sdcard/osmand/rendering. then in Osmand select XXX under "Map style".
- Osmand Home Page
- OsmAnd Google Groups Forum
- OsmAnd Project Site, including Wiki with how to articles
- Issue Tracker
- Source code
- OsmAnd Local Indexes List: Links to .obf maps for download
- OsmAnd additional maps: Download additional .obf maps.
- Using Osmand on the road: blog post about setting up Osmand on your smartphone