|natural = scrub|
|Uncultivated land covered with bushes or stunted trees.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Scrub (shrubland, scrubland, brush) is a plant community characterized by vegetation dominated by shrubs (bush), often also including grasses, herbs, and geophytes. It may be the mature vegetation type in a particular region and remain stable over time, or a transitional community that occurs temporarily as the result of a disturbance, such as fire.
Seeon Wikipedia and on Wikipedia
- name=* - name of the site
- leaf_type=broadleaved/needleleaved/mixed - describes the type of leaves.
- leaf_cycle=deciduous/evergreen/mixed - describes the phenology of leaves.
wood=coniferous/deciduous/mixed- type of wood. This key is deprecated!
This tag should not be used for:
- areas dominated by low growing dwarf scrubs - use natural=heath instead.
- open woodlands with full grown trees with significant gaps between them - depending on tree density use natural=wood or map what grows in between the trees.
- cultivated scrub plantations - depending on the purpose these might qualify as landuse=orchard, landuse=farmland or leisure=garden.
The widely-used Anderson (1976) classification system has detailed descriptions of scrub. Particular attention should be paid to these classifications:
- 3 Rangeland
- 31 Herbaceous Rangeland
- 32 Shrub and Brush Rangeland
- 33 Mixed Rangeland
- 5 Shrubland
- 51 Dwarf Scrub - (Alaska only) areas dominated by shrubs less than 20 centimeters tall with shrub canopy typically greater than 20% of total vegetation. This type is often co-associated with grasses, sedges, herbs, and non-vascular vegetation.
- 52 Shrub/Scrub - areas dominated by shrubs; less than 5 meters tall with shrub canopy typically greater than 20% of total vegetation. This class includes true shrubs, young trees in an early successional stage or trees stunted from environmental conditions.
Herbaceous, sedge, lichen, moss and wetlands (woody or herbaceous) are better tagged as features other than 'scrub'.
- Proposed features/leaftype - Proposal for new keys leaf_type=* and leaf_cycle=*
- natural=shrub for standalone plants