|amenity = bench|
|A place for people to sit; allows room for several people.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A place for people to sit; allows room for several people. Benches are used for resting for an interval of time. They can be important to people with mobility impairments (e.g. needs a cane or crutches) who need a place to rest for a couple minutes while traveling on foot. Additionally, benches are often a suitable substitute for everyday activities like eating, reading, etc. when a picnic table is not available.
How to map
- backrest=yes/no Whether the bench has a backrest to lean against. For people who have problems with their back this could be useful information.
- direction=* Use a compass point (e.g. "NW") or value in degrees (e.g. "315") to indicate the direction which the bench (or a person sitting on it) faces.
- seats=* Number of seats. (Only use this tag if the seats are somehow separated from each other, for example by armrests.)
- colour=* Colour
- material=* What is the bench (seating) made from? e.g. wood, steel, stone.
- surface=* The surface of the seating if different from material=*
- operator=* Who maintains the bench?
- inscription=* The inscription or dedication on the bench
- openbenches:id=* - memorial bench's entry ID on Open Benches.
- OSM Carto —
- Wanderreitkarte — rendered in the online map
- JOSM — rendered with an icon of a backless bench, the special mappaint style Bench can be added
- Röntgen — , with backrest: , without backrest:
- Approved features/Bench
- Proposed features/Bench_detail
- Proposed features/Public Transport#Platform
- MapContrib theme for benches and picnic tables - Simple online editor to add or edit benches.