|amenity = kindergarten|
|A place for looking after preschool children and (typically) giving early education.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Use the amenity=kindergarten for establishments offering early years education and supervision (also known as pre-schools) for children up to the age of formal (often mandatory) school education. This tag is also currently used for establishments where parents can leave their young children but which provide no formal education.
How to map
The following tags can also be used:
- name=* - The name of the establishment
- website=* - Specifying the link to the official website for a feature
- phone=* - A telephone number associated with the object
- capacity=* - The number of children that can be accommodated
- fee=* yes if a fee is charged, no if no fee is charged
- operator=* - The name of the organisation which runs the facility; this may be the local government, a religious parish, or a parent association.
- isced:level=0 - Level 0 education on the International Standard Classification of Education
- min_age=* and max_age=* to indicate age range of children that attend said school
- religion=* and denomination=* and If the school has a particular religious affiliation and denomination
- leisure=playground - The outdoor playground on the campus can be drawn as node or outline . Add access=private.
- barrier=fence - The campus or its sub-areas are often fenced.
Usage in specific countries
While the term Kindergarten was coined in the German language in the 19th century for preschool education, it is nowadays increasingly replaced with the term Kindertagesstätte, literally a day facility for children, covering a wider and overlapping range of crèche children (0-3 years), kindergarten/preschool (3-6 years), and after-school care for primary school children (6-12 years), all providing supervision by educated staff and age-appropriate educational goals.
The whole range of these facilities is tagged amenity=kindergarten, with min_age=* and max_age=* giving their precise age range. In 2016 it was proposed to add sub-tags for the three age categories, nursery=yes, preschool=yes and after_school=yes.
For the situation in Switzerland see also Switzerland/Map Features#Kindergarten / Childcare.
Pre-school in Berlin.
The tag amenity=childcare is in some use for places where children are looked after by professionals. Its definition is ambiguous since its first proposal was rejected, a second one intended to replace amenity=kindergarten was not brought to voting.