Following consultation with the talk-au mailing list, I am cleaning up the Australia wiki pages.
The goal of the cleaning will be to
- Remove outdated or duplicated information;
- Make it easier for mappers to navigate Australia-specific wiki pages, and
- Encourage new mappers to join one of the social channels.
- Make the wiki sustainable, so that it is easier to keep in date and noone has to clean the whole thing again.
Self Imposed Rules
The spirit of this work is to improve the quality of the wiki pages structure, flow and navigation; it is not to try and change the content or meaning of any of the discussions. This cleanup will be conducted apolitically and agnostically, deliberately avoiding anything that could be construed as a "decision". To avoid any doubt or confusion, until the cleanup is complete, any edits I make that are not related to the cleanup will be clearly outlined in the edit summary.
I've also imposed a rule upon myself that nothing that could potentially be of value will be deleted without consultation. Content that is irrepairably out of date will be archived.
- 22 March 22
- Australian Mapping Community page created. Work will continue building the archive section.
- Australia page convered to new format and structure, including new templates. Legacy links remain until fully updated.
- Template:Australia/Tabs updated to include a newversion parameter that will allow the new style navbar to be used without replacing the template.
- Template:Australia Acknowledgement created.
- Archived many outdated pages
- Australian News
- Aussie Mapnik Style Changes
- Foundation/Local Chapters/Australia
- Draft Rules
- Tips especially for Aussies
- Starting with a Blank Map in Australia
- Australian Service Station Tagging
- Australia Building Footprints
- Australian Geographic Reference Image
- Australian Bureau of Meteorology
- Municipal Association Victoria
- Australian Import Catalogue page updated to include all Australian Imports from Import/Catalogue, and numerous imports moved to Import/Catalogue subpages.
- 23 March 22
- Template:Australian Place Project created - documentation still needed
- Template:Australian Projects and :Template:Australian Projects/List created - documentation still needed created - documentation still needed
- Template:Australia State Name created - documentation still needed
- Australian Capital Territory and Canberra now using new template.
- Northern Territory and Darwin now using new template, new pages created for Alice Springs and Uluṟu-Kata Tjuṯa
- New South Wales and Sydney now using new template, moved and updated Hornsby, Parramatta, Beverly Hills, Chatswood, Leichhardt, Watsons Bay, Palm Beach, Strathfield, new pages created for Newcastle, Wollongong, Badgerys Creek/Aerotropolis, Blacktown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Liverpool, Macarthur, Penrith
- 24 March 22
- Blue Mountains updated.
- Created Australia/Archive index page
- Data.australia.gov.au/South Australia
- Data.australia.gov.au/South Australia/National Parks
- Data.australia.gov.au/World Heritage Areas
- Data.australia.gov.au/Northern Territory
- New Pages created for Hawkesbury LGA, New South Wales, Jervis Bay Territory, Australian External Territories, Ashmore and Cartier Islands, Coral Sea Islands, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Australian Antarctic Territory, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Norfolk Island.
- 25 March 22
- More Past Events archived.
- Sydney, Adelaide, Tasmania, Queensland, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Western Australia now using new layout
- New Pages created for Albury-Wodonga, Townsville, Kangaroo Island, Mount Gambier, Hobart, Launceston, Macquarie Island
- 26 March 22
- South Australia updated to new layout
- 27 March 22
- Rottnest Island, Bunbury, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Melbourne, Ballarat, Geelong, Mildura, and Shepparton pages created
- Bendigo updated to new layout
- 28 March 22
- Australian Data Sources page created new layout, content merged with Australian data catalogue, Australian Resources and Australian Imagery Sources.
- Toowoomba page created
- Perth updated to new layout
- Big Cleanup of Categories, ranging from Category:Australia downwards
- 29 March 22
- Australian Projects page created.
- 31 March 22
- Australian Feature Catalogue page created, much more work to do
- New South Wales Routes/Road and South Australia Routes/Road page created
- Template:Australian road shield created
- 1 April 22
- File:Openstreetmap-osm-australia.svg updated to match newer OSM logo
- Australian Capital Territory Routes/Road and Northern Territory Routes/Road page created
- 7 April 22
- First Tagging Guidelines subpage created! Australian Tagging Guidelines/Australia's First Peoples
- 8 April 22
- Updated Template:Australia/Tabs to prepare for new Tagging Guideline templates
- Moved Sydney Cycle Routes to New South Wales routes/Cycle
- Created Category:Australian routes and subcategories
- Created Western Australia routes/Road and Victoria, Australia routes/Road
- 17 April 22
- Second Tagging Guidelines subpage ready for review Australian Tagging Guidelines/Roads
- 22 April 22
- Third Tagging Guidelines subpage ready for review Australian Tagging Guidelines/Australian features
- 28 April 22
- Fourth Tagging Guidelines subpage ready for review Australian Tagging Guidelines/Land and boundaries
- 12 May 22
- Fifth Tagging Guidelines subpage ready for review Australian Tagging Guidelines/Transportation
- 26 June 22
- Sixth Tagging Guidelines subpage ready for review Australian Tagging Guidelines/Cycling and Foot Paths
Biggest change will be to the structure of the pages. Currently, there are a lot of overlapping pages, or orphaned pages that don't lead anywhere. To keep track (and to ensure that nothing is missed) I've made a table to map old pages to their new (proposed) pages. I keep finding new pages, so it's going to keep updating.
In Progress / Still to Do
To improve navigation, new templates will be introduced for each subject area within Australia. These templates would take the place of the current "Bar" template.
- Template:Australia/Tabs - updated so that newversion=yes will return a NavBar style box.
- Template:Australian Projects List of Australian subprojects in both list, and navbox form.
- Template:Australia State Name - Template that converts the state acronym to the text description
- Template:Australian road shield - template that generates a highway number shield for a route
- Template:Australian Guideline - Template to indicate a guideline is still being discussed
- Template:Australia Acknowledgement - generic infobox that includes the standard acknowledgement of traditional owners.
If you are not happy with some of the WIP or drafts, let me know. If you'd like to help, please also let me know :)