|landuse = grass|
|A smaller area of grass, usually mown and managed.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A tag for a smaller areas of mown and managed grass for example in the middle of a roundabout, verges beside a road or in the middle of a dual carriageway.
There are also many instances of landuse=grass used for any areas of grass - for example patches of grass between tracks in railway corridor within area tagged with landuse=railway, or lawns within residential areas. This usage is considered controversial by some mappers.
There are often more appropriate tags for areas of grass. These include:
- leisure=dog_park An area reserved for dogs to run, often off the leash.
- landuse=farmland with produce=turf where grass is harvested for transplant elsewhere.
- leisure=garden An area managed as a private or public garden with flowers, bushes etc
- natural=grassland Areas where the vegetation is dominated by grasses and other herbaceous, non-woody plants.
- leisure=golf_course An area within which golf is played. See also - golf=green, golf=fairway, golf=rough
- landuse=meadow for farmland which is sown with grass for grazing or for hay.
- leisure=park An area set aside for public recreation within an urban area.
- leisure=pitch An area formally organised for a particular sport: tennis, soccer etc.
- landuse=recreation_ground An area predominately designed for formal or informal sports and fun
- landuse=village_green A public space, typically associated with a village
Other similar tags:
- natural=heath - for areas of dwarf shrubs and low bushes
- natural=scrub - for areas of shrubs and bushes
- natural=wetland - for wetlands, including grassy marshes and fens (wetland=marsh, wetland=saltmarsh, wetland=bog, wetland=fen)
As an add-on tag for other features: