|leisure = sports_centre|
|A sports centre is a distinct facility where sports take place within an enclosed area.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A sports centre is a distinct facility where sports take place within an enclosed area. It can be a building (indoor sports centre), just outside (outdoor sports centre) or contain indoor and outdoor sports features mixed together.
Facilities within a sports centre may include swimming pools, spa, solarium, sauna and/or steam room, sports hall, squash courts, fitness suite, aerobics studios, outdoor grass and/or artificial pitches for football (soccer), hockey etc and also any associated cafeteria, bars and other facilities.
Note A single leisure=pitch is not usually a sports centre, leisure=sports_centre is for significant facilities. For example single soccer pitch in a park is not a sports centre.
How to map
Place a node in the centre of the facility with the tag, or draw an area along the perimeter of the grounds, and place the tag leisure=sports_centre on it.
Specific sports may have a sport=* tag associated the sports centre itself, and you may decide to list multiple sports with a ';' (Semi-colon value separator) however...
It is better to use more specific tags on separate elements within a sports centre area. For example leisure=pitches or building contained within the sports centre. Use building=* for any buildings which are included within the centre. These can be given different sport and leisure tags. Note that you should not place the leisure=sports_centre on inner elements. Use this tag once on the outer area of the sports centre (One feature, one OSM element)
Spelling: Use "centre" (British English), not "center" (American English).
Tags used in combination
- operator=* - person or company running the facility
- addr=* - the address of the facility
- opening_hours=* - when to enter the facility / Tool to test the format
- Contact information: phone=*, fax=*, website=* and email=*
Alternatives for sports halls
- leisure=sports_hall a sports hall or gymnasium: a large room for indoor sports, in particular when the facility has no "centre" character.
A sports centre might contain one or more sports halls.
Contains only indoor sports features. If a building does not include all the features that belong to the sports centre (because there are also outdoor features belonging to it) do better not tag it with leisure=sports_centre but instead either map the area of the whole sports centre or place a node at its estimated centre and tag these with leisure=sports_centre.
|Indoor sports centre|
|Indoor swimming facility|
|Indoor tennis centre|
Contains only outdoor sports features It's appropriate to use the tag sport=* also on fields (leisure=pitch) and pools (leisure=swimming_pool).
|Outdoor tennis centre|
|Swimming pool facility||
An outdoor riding arena should be tagged with leisure=pitch + sport=equestrian (example)
|rental||shoes||rents shoes appropriate for the sport|
|rental||clothes||rents clothes appropriate for the sport|
|rental||racket||rents rackets appropriate for the sport|
|clothes||sports||sells clothes appropriate for the sport|
Multiple values are allowed, divided by semicolon. See also shop=rental
- landuse=recreation_ground - For land used for sports
- leisure=stadium - Venue for large sporting events and perhaps also performing arts events. This can usually house many spectators / supporters in tiered seating.
- leisure=pitch - An area designed for playing a particular sport, normally designated with appropriate markings
- leisure=sports_hall - a sports hall or Gymnasium: a large room for indoor sports.
- amenity=community_centre - Used a mixture of activities and events, may include some sports
- landuse=winter_sports - For land used for winter sports
- amenity=dojo - A formal training place for any of the Japanese do arts.
- leisure=fitness_centre - One of the main proposed ways to tag gyms/fitness centres, discussed at Gym_/_Fitness_centre. Is more specific than using leisure=sports_centre.
- leisure=bowling_alley - A facility that is equipped to play the game of bowling.
Similar tags to a swimming pool facility:
- leisure=water_park: an amusement park featuring water play areas such as recreational pools, water slides or lazy rivers; not used for swimming as a sport
- amenity=public_bath: a facility where you can go and take a bath, e.g. an onsen, a hot spring, a hammam or a thermal bath