|landuse = forest|
|Forest or woodland, sometimes considered to be restricted to managed woodlands or tree plantations.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Forest or woodland. Sometimes considered to have the restricted meaning "Managed woodland or tree plantation maintained by human to obtain forest products".
There are major differences in the way this tag & natural=wood are used by different Openstreetmap users. Some use this tag for land primarily managed for timber production, others uses if for woodland that is in some way maintained by humans, some for any forest. This problem is explained in the page Forest.
How to map
Draw an area to match shape of woodland and tag it landuse=forest. If exact match is infeasible then approximate shape is acceptable. As the last resort place a node instead of an area.
- name=* - name of the forest
- operator=* - operator of the forest
- leaf_type=broadleaved/needleleaved/mixed - describes the type of leaves.
- leaf_cycle=deciduous/evergreen/mixed - describes the phenology of leaves.
- produce=* - Describes the type of produce
- species=* - for species (scientific) name - useful tag to specify which tree species predominate in given area of the forest
- genus=* - The scientific name of the genus of tree - use where species varies or is unknown
If leaf_type=* is also set, this can be indicated by appropriate symbols for conifers, deciduous trees and mixed forests.
Related OSM projects
Wiki for all environment and natural tags and projects Environmental_OSM
- Forest for discussion of this tag and natural=wood
- natural=tree - A single tree
- natural=scrub - Uncultivated land covered with shrubs, bushes or stunted trees
- plant_community=* - Describes the plant community of a feature
- taxon=* - Describes the taxon of a feature
- Vegetation - summary of tags for various types of trees and plants
species=*for species (scientific) name
- landuse=forestry - Another tag for forestry areas (barely used)