|landuse = farmland
|Area of farmland used mainly for tillage (annual crops).
|Rendering in OSM Carto
|Used on these elements
|Status: de facto
|Tools for this tag
An area of farmland used for tillage (cereals, vegetables, oil plants and other annual agricultural crops including flowers).
How to map
See the tag landuse=farmyard instead to tag areas of land with farm buildings like farmhouses, dwellings, farmsteads, sheds, stables, barns, equipment sheds, feed bunkers, etc. plus the open space in between them and the shrubbery/trees around them.
This tag is sometimes used for tagging every agricultural area (except farmyards). However, we also have separate tags for: meadows and pastures landuse=meadow, fruit orchards landuse=orchard, and vineyards landuse=vineyard, so many mappers prefer to use landuse=farmland for cropland only.
It is often useful to map the field boundaries within a farm area, especially when many public rights of way follow these boundaries. The use of various barrier=* tags is appropriate in this case.
- name=*, if the field has a common name
- crop=*, to specify the crop grown
- irrigation=pivot, for center pivot irrigation fields
Possible tagging mistake
- landuse=farmyard - Area of land with farm buildings (farmhouse, sheds, stables, barns, etc.)
- landuse=meadow - An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants, mainly used for hay or grazing
- landuse=orchard - Used to mark intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production
- landuse=vineyard - Used to tag vineyards, a piece of land where grapes are grown
- landuse=plant_nursery - Represents land that is used solely for plant nurseries, which grow live plants for sale
- landuse=greenhouse_horticulture - Land area used for growing plants in greenhouses