Where do I put the entrance point? The description does not mention this. I presume, that if there is a building area, then I should create a point ON the path at the side where the entrance is, and put the entrance tag on this point. This way, the point is connected to the building.
useful for apartment house?
I saw several times the usage of Key:entrance for the doors of apartment houses. I wonder if this the the right way. OsmAnd then shows only the door pic and not the house number. Addresses could be found but the map does not show the numbers.
- See tagging for the renderer. In short, if the data is correct (i.e. in your case, if the house number is related to the entrance), then the software can be fixed, but software can't fix broken or incomplete data. Alv (talk) 17:42, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
definition for entrance=emergency is bad tagging
If this tag should be used for emergency exits, it's completely misleading. Should be either exit=emergency or stretching meaning of the word entrance, it could be entrance=emergency_exit. The tag entrance=emergency should be reserved for emergency entrances (to an emergency area in a hospital)--Dieterdreist (talk) 13:00, 11 March 2017 (UTC)
definition for entrance=home is not clear
- I've seen that this has now been amended ("private house, home or apartment") which is IMHO much clearer now (i.e. I read it as not including entrances / access doors to "semi-private", shared property areas like stairs, elevators, corridors, courtyards, and other distribution areas. I agree with this definition, but maybe we could be even more explicit in the wording? --Dieterdreist (talk) 09:31, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
- This is implied by being on a building=house way and with access=private. entrance=home means I can't tag a main entrance, other entrance and service entrance to a house. Aharvey (talk) 02:16, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
Entrance = home is unnecessary. Every building has min one main entrance. If only public_building should have "entrance=main", so what is with commercial or office buildings? --Pyram (talk) 19:42, 11 July 2018 (UTC)
- I tend to agree, as I don't like the "home" value. What the entrance leads to should be made clear based on what way it is part of. An entrance node in the outline of a building=house, for example, is an entrance to a home. This information does not need to be repeated on the entrance node. --Tordanik 19:54, 12 July 2018 (UTC)
This tag doesn't make sense semantically. Why not use the key exit=*? This way we can better differentiate between entrance only, exit only and both. I'm adding a reference to this now, because the exit key is already used more than 5000 times. --Dieterdreist (talk) 09:18, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
entrance=staircase conflicts with function
entrance=staircase was introduced in  without discussion. It describes a physical property of what is behind the entrance, not the entrance itself. The approved proposal was about describing the function of the entrance, such as main, service or emergency. How would I tag the main entrance that leads to a staircase? --Polarbear w (talk) 20:29, 20 January 2018 (UTC)
- I don’t fully agree with your assessment that staircase is not about a function, because staircases are about vertical distribution, and such would be an entrance to a staircase. On the other hand, there is no definition, and it is not clear when not to apply this tag, e.g. stairs leading to a cellar? Stairs within the same (multilevel) unit? Emergency only staircases? Etc. —Dieterdreist (talk) 11:03, 21 January 2018 (UTC)
entrance, gate or locality?
How to tag the named entrance of an enclosed area ?
Example : Porte Surcouf of Brest's naval base.
- entrance is for entrances in a building, barrier=gate for access to an area. If nominatim doesn’t find named gates it should be fixed on the nominatim side, not by modifying the data (particularly locality doesn’t seem to fit here)—Dieterdreist (talk) 20:12, 30 March 2018 (UTC)
- "but seem to find place=locality" - that is not a reason to map nonexisting objects Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 07:11, 13 July 2018 (UTC)
- "barrier=gate is rendered but not his name" on which map? Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 07:11, 13 July 2018 (UTC)