United Kingdom retail chains
In the interests of enhancing tagging consistency, and perhaps to encourage mapping of missing shops, this page describes major chains (multiples) of banks and related financial companies, restaurants, cafes and shops. It also includes some buying groups which use a shared brand on outlets which belong to the group.
For each fascia/brand name typical tagging (based on what already exists) is described and less favoured alternatives noted. Where necessary suitable tags for operator and owner might be suggested.
The standard weekly journals widely read in the retail trade are The Grocer and Retail Week. A little time spent leafing through these in a local library can greatly assist in getting to grips with the major classifications which are widely used by retailers, and in turn may help in deciding how to tag things.
Note: Figures are as at October 2014.
- 1 Terminology
- 2 Banks
- 3 Other Financial Services
- 4 Restaurants
- 5 Cafes
- 6 Fast Food
- 7 Food Shops
- 8 Clothing (& associated products)
- 9 Motor Trade
- 10 Furniture, Furnishings & Interiors
- 11 Other (uncategorised) Shops
- 11.1 Beauty
- 11.2 Bicycle Shops
- 11.3 Betting Shops
- 11.4 Bookshops
- 11.5 shop=catalogue
- 11.6 shop=charity
- 11.7 shop=chemist
- 11.8 shop=computer
- 11.9 shop=confectionery
- 11.10 shop=cosmetics
- 11.11 shop=craft
- 11.12 shop=department_store
- 11.13 shop=doityourself
- 11.14 shop=dry_cleaning
- 11.15 shop=electronics
- 11.16 shop=erotic
- 11.17 shop=florist
- 11.18 shop=funeral_directors
- 11.19 shop=games
- 11.20 shop=gift
- 11.21 shop=hairdresser
- 11.22 shop=hardware
- 11.23 shop=hearing_aids
- 11.24 shop=hifi
- 11.25 shop=jewelry
- 11.26 shop=kitchen
- 11.27 shop=laundry
- 11.28 shop=mall
- 11.29 shop=mobile_phone
- 11.30 shop=music
- 11.31 shop=newsagent
- 11.32 shop=optician
- 11.33 shop=outdoor
- 11.34 shop=pawnbroker
- 11.35 shop=perfume
- 11.36 shop=pet
- 11.37 shop=photo
- 11.38 shop=sports
- 11.39 shop=stationery
- 11.40 shop=toys
- 11.41 shop=travel_agency
- 11.42 Variety Store
- 11.43 shop=video
- 11.44 See also
There are some well established terms used in the British Retail Trade which it is probably useful to know:
- Buying Group. A group purchasing organisation which individual retailers can belong to and they then purchase their supplies from the group at wholesale prices. Many originated as co-operatives, but most have been purchased by major wholesale and cash-and-carry chains.
- Fascia. Often an individual retailer will not only make their purchases through the buying group but make use of the group marketing and brand on their own shop front (the 'fascia' in the trade). Franchised operations are similar (coffee chains, Subway etc.). Often the fascia name is used in aggregated market research data in the UK. Use brand=* for this, name is usually of the form "XXX Convenience Store". For franchises the name & brand are usually identical It is always a good idea to also add the brand as this will make searches more reliable.
- Format. An example of different formats are Tesco Extra, Tesco Metro and Tesco Express. At the moment we do not tag individual formats.
- Lloyds Bank
- Bank of Scotland
- Yorkshire Bank
- Clydesdale Bank
- Co-operative Bank
- Metro bank
Brands which should no longer be present on the high street.
- Lloyds-TSB: rebranded as either Lloyds or TSB.
- Abbey National became Santander
Other Financial Services
- Swinton. Insurance Broker. shop=insurance, operator=Swinton Group Ltd brand=Swinton owner=Covéa Insurance plc. is shown having 350 shops, and is now owned by Covea. Formerly it was a subsidiary of Royal Insurance (from 1997, Royal and SunAlliance). 49 outlets mapped. The Swinton website distinguishes between branches (retail locations) and offices (the latter should be tagged office=insurance.
- Pizza Express (240).
- Pizza Hut (168).
- Nando's (138+30 as Nandos).
- Frankie & Benny's (87).
- Prezzo (78),
- Zizzi (70).
- Little Chef (65).
- Wagamama (61).
- Bella Italia (58).
- Harvester (47). Some may be mapped as pubs.
- Strada (47).
- Chiquito (38).
- Cafe Rouge (38).
- Toby Carvery (36). Some may be mapped as pubs.
- ASK Italian (35). Permission granted to copy information from their website.
- Carluccio's (32).
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen (31)
- Nandos (30).
- La Tasca (28).
- Côte Brasserie (17), French themed Restaurant chain. Some are mapped as Cote Brasserie (11).
- Caffe Nero
- Burger King
|Main Name||Example Signage||No. Mapped||Total Stores||Range of Values||Recommended Tags||Comments|
|Aldi||395||Over 500 including Ireland||Aldi / ALDI|
|Asda Asda||389||Over 500||Asda / ASDA||Asda has given permission to copy branch information from their website.|
|Booths Booths||16||31||Booths||name=Booths||Mainly NW England.|
|Budgens Budgens||90||Budgens||name=Budgens|| Budgens have a complicated recent history (see wikipedia), and change may be common.|
Also 33 shop=convenience
|The Co-operative Food||1309||Nearly 3000||co-op / Coop / Co-op / Co-Op / co-operative / Cooperative / Co-operative / Co-Operative / Co-operative Food / Cooperative Food / Co-Operative Food / Co-op Food / The Co-op / The co-operative / The Cooperative / The Co-operative / The Co-Operative / The co-operative food / The Cooperative / The Co-operative / The Co-Operative / The co-operative food / The Co-operative food / The Co-operative Food / The Co-Operative Food||name=The Co-operative Food brand=The Co-operative or brand=Co-op (a re-brand is in progress from the former to the latter)||A re-brand is in progress (Dec 2016). It is important to check, not all 'co-ops' are in the main Co-operative group and will have different branding while mappers may just be used to calling places the 'co-op'. Also historically these stores operated under a wide range of signage. (See also: shop=convenience (653x); ). Most probably should be The Co-operative Food (see note above about capitalisation). Some stores have been sold (e.g., this one , to Waitrose)|
|Farmfoods||95||300+||Farmfoods/Farm Foods||name=Farmfoods||These are a frozen food specialist, similar to Iceland. Presence in supermarket category is marginal, or should at least be tagged in some way. They have refused outright for any data to be copied from their website|
|Costco||(6x)||26||Probably not a supermarket but shop=cash_and_carry.|
|East of England Co-op||(11x)|
|Home Bargains||(33x)||Over 290||(Alternatives: shop=variety_store (19x); shop=discount (5x); shop=convenience (5x); ). Again probably misplaced, these are either variety stores or discount stores with some food.|
|Iceland||(343x)||Over 800||Iceland||name=Iceland||(Alternatives: shop=food (9x); shop=convenience (8x); shop=frozen_food (6x); )|
|Lidl||468||608||Lidl / LIDL||No clear recommendation||Opinions vary re uppercase or not.|
|M&S Simply Food||(65x)||419||Marks & Spencer Simply Food / M&S Simply Food (65x) M&S Food (8x)||No clear recommendation on name, brand=M&S, but probably safest to use an operator tag operator=Marks and Spencer plc||Not clear about all the different branding M&S use. (Alternatives: shop=convenience (51x); & shop=convenience (5x); for M&S Food).|
|Morrisons Morrisons||(439x)||515||Morrisons / Morrison's /Morrisons Local||name=Morrisons, brand=Morrisons||(Alternatives: shop=convenience (5x); ). Morrisons Local (15 examples) should be tagged as this.|
|Sainsbury's Sainsbury's||741||1245|| Sainsbury / Sainsburys / Sainsbury's (567x),
Sainsburys Local (174x)
|name=Sainsbury's or name=Sainsbury's Local, brand=Sainsbury's|| Undoubtedly the Sainsbury's Local format can either fall into the supermarket or convenience store category. |
Some of the Local stores were once mainstream Sainsbury's.
Alternatives, for both main chain & Local respectively : shop=convenience (28x); shop=convenience (142x); )
Stores total includes convenience stores. Sainsbury's have given permission to copy branch information from their website.
|Tesco||(556x)||482x (excluding Extra, Metro and Express)||(Alternatives: shop=convenience (44x); )|
|Tesco Extra||(119x)||248x||(Alternatives: shop=convenience (7x), certainly erroneous ). Tesco's hypermarket format, use brand=Tesco|
|Tesco Metro||(141x)||194x||(Alternatives: shop=convenience (28x); )|
|Waitrose Waitrose||267||280||Waitrose||name=Waitrose or name=Little Waitrose, brand=Waitrose||(Alternatives: shop=convenience (14x); ). Some smaller Waitrose stores trade as "little Waitrose", but the ones I've used are still small supermarkets rather than convenience stores.|
Following are awaiting tabulation:
Former Supermarket chains which are no longer in business, more or less entirely fixed on POIs, but may exist in other forms (e.g., external open data, bus stops etc):
- Netto: Ceased operations in 2011, stores sold to a variety of other retailers. All known Nettos had notes posted, and most (but not all) have been resolved.
- Somerfield: Bought by Co-operative. Some stores closed, others re-branded.
* Somerfield (27x) (Alternatives: shop=convenience (6x); ). Somerfield was purchased by the Co-op and all stores closed are re-branded. These are all errors.. All fixed.
- best-one / Best One / Best-One (68x)
- The Co-Operative Food (18x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (14x); ). Reasonable as the brand covers both local convenience stores, high street supermarkets and large supermarkets.
- The Corner Shop (22x)
- Costcutter / Costcutters (311x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (71x); )
- Costcutter Express (10x)
- Day-Today (18x)
- Esso (8x). Usually incorrect, Esso's brand for its on-site petrol stations is "On the Run".
- Farm Shop (5x)
- Food & Wine (11x)
- KeyStore (12x)
- Lifestyle Express (52x)
- Little Waitrose (11x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (7x); )
- Londis (348x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (29x); shop=yes (5x); )
- Mace (70x)
- Martins / Martin's (57x) (Alternatives: shop=newsagent (41x); )
- McColls / McColl's (145x) (Alternatives: shop=newsagent (7x); shop=supermarket (5x); )
- Newsagent (11x) (Alternatives: shop=newsagent (5x); )
- Newsagents (5x)
- Nisa / Nisa Local (147x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (31x); )
- OneStop / One Stop / One-Stop / One Stop Shop (201x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (7x); )
- Premier (136x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (5x); )
- Premier Express (12x)
- Scotmid (25x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (23x); )
- Select & Save (15x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (8x); )
- Shell (11x)
- Shopsmart (13x)
- Spar / SPAR (630x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (152x); )
- Tesco Express / Tesco express (440x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (432x); ) out of 1709x
- Village Shop (18x)
- Village Stores / The Village Store (23x)
Other food & drink stores
- Birds (17x) (Alternatives: shop=confectionery (8x); ) also amenity=cafe. The chain are actually named "Birds the Confectioners" and are based in the East Midlands. Most shops have a cafe selling cakes and pastries from the counter. They also sell bread, but often run out early in the day.
- Cooplands (30x)
- Greggs / Gregg's (355x) . Outlets have been tagged in a variety of different ways such as amenity=fast_food. Some stores have an associated cafe (e.g., at Bury St Edmunds).
- Jenkins (14x)
- Sayers (12x)
- Bargain Booze (68x) (Alternatives: shop=convenience (15x); shop=beverages (10x); )
- Majestic / Majestic Wine / Majestic Wine Warehouse (62x) (Alternatives: shop=wine (5x); )
- Nicolas (11x)
- Oddbins ( Oddbins (22x) London & Scotland mainly now.
- The Local (6x)
- Threshers (11x)
- Wine Rack (10x)
- Holland and Barrett / Holland & Barrett (34x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (16x); shop=health (8x); shop=yes (8x); shop=organic (7x); shop=chemist (6x); shop=herbalist (6x); )
Clothing (& associated products)
Basic tag shop=clothes. gender=* can be used to indicate if the shop specialises in mens or womens clothing. More expensive fashion clothes shops may be tagged shop=boutique but the difference is entirely arbitrary, essentially subjective and not amenable to repeatable tagging by different mappers. The tag should be avoided.
|Name||Image||No. Mapped||Total No. of Stores||Tags/Comments|
|Austin Reed||n/a||11||0||Austin Reed is now defunct and all outlets have closed, except five which have been bought out by Edinburgh Woollen Mill|
|Burton||31||>400 in the UK and Ireland|
|Dorothy Perkins||57||576 in the UK|
|Edinburgh Woollen Mill||30||265|
|French Connection||22||131 in the UK and Europe|
|Gap||33||1321 outside the US|
|Hobbs||14||34 in 2002|
|Laura Ashley||22||Some Laura Ashley stores may be more appropriately tagged with shop=furniture|
|Matalan||97||217||Some Matalan stores have been tagged as shop=department_store|
|Monsoon||44||1400 worldwide, including Accessorize outlets|
|New Look||121||~1160 worldwide||Note: New Look has changed its signage since this image was taken|
|Store Twenty One||12||>200|
|T. K. Maxx||75||407 in Europe||Some T. K. Maxx outlets have a greater focus on homewares, so may be better tagged with shop=department_store|
|Urban Outfitters||11||43 in Europe|
- Brantano / Brantano Footwear (46x out of 145)
- Clarks (98x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (7x); )
- Deichmann (11x out of 80)
- Dune (10x out of 37)
- Foot Locker (16x)
- Jones / Jones Bootmaker (27x out of 114)
- Office (20x out of 99 including overseas)
- Schuh (18x out of 104x)
- Shoe Zone (74x out of over 500 including Ireland)
- Stead & Simpson (13x) Bought by Shoe Zone - are all shoes converted to Shoe Zone?
Base tag shop=car. For new cars, and some second-hand specialists use brand=* for the car marques sold. Name should be name of dealer not of marque. (There is a slight issue here as large chain dealers also are brands, but established usage is for brand to contain car marques. Also not that many main car dealers will offer servicing, repairs and a parts shop: ultimately these might be micro-mapped.
- Arnold Clark (12x)
- Evans Halshaw (12x)
- Honda (10x)
- Vauxhall (11x)
Car Repair & Servicing
- ATS / ATS Euromaster (37x)
- Halfords Autocentre (19x)
- Hi-Q (9x)
- Kwikfit (19x)
- Kwik-Fit (48x)
- National Tyres and Autocare (4x)
Furniture, Furnishings & Interiors
- Bathstore (5x)
- Allied Carpets (10x)
- Carpetright / CarpetRight / Carpet Right (79x) (Alternatives: shop=furniture (18x); shop=doityourself (6x); shop=yes (5x); )
- Bensons for Beds (13x)
- DFS (26x)
- Dreams (33x) (Alternatives: shop=bed (19x); )
- Dunelm Mill (10x) (Alternatives: shop=department_store (6x); )
- Furniture Village (8x)
- Harveys (30x)
- IKEA (15x)
- Multiyork (16x)
- Next Home (5x)
- SCS (21x)
- Paul Simon (3x)
- Fired Earth (3x)
Other (uncategorised) Shops
- Body Shop / The Body Shop (27x) (Alternatives: shop=cosmetics (15x); shop=chemist (11x); ). The Body Shop sell cosmetics, and clearly should be tagged as such.
- Cycle King (12x)
- Cycle Surgery (13x)
- Evans Cycles (43x)
- Halfords (115x) (Alternatives: shop=car_parts (47x); shop=car_repair (43x); shop=car (19x); shop=yes (7x); shop=doityourself (5x); )
gambling=* can be used to provide more information about the types of gambling (typically betting and fixed-odds machines). min_age=18 is also applicable as this is legally required on signs outside the entrance, but can be inferred from the core tag.
According to the ABB, there are around 9000 betting shops in the UK, representing about 4% of all retail outlets. Approximately 1200 on OSM, Feb-2014.
|Main Name||Example Signage||No. Mapped||Total Stores||Range of Values||Recommended Tags||Comments|
|Betfred Betfred||139||1350||Betfred / BetFred||name=Betfred||Also a number of Totesport shops: chain taken over and re-branded as Betfred some time ago, see talk-gb. The advertising slogan "the bonus king" seen on signage should not be included in the name.|
|Coral Gala_Coral_Group#Coral||228||1800+||Coral||name=Coral|| (Alternatives: shop=betting (57x); shop=gambling (5x); )|
Source: shop numbers - Wikipedia.
|Ladbrokes Ladbrokes||299||2256||Ladbrokes / Ladbrooks||name=Ladbrokes||(Alternatives: shop=betting (79x); shop=gambling (6x) ). Source: shop numbers|
|Paddy Power Paddy Power||44||140+||Paddy Power||(Alternatives: shop=betting (11x); )|
Source: shop numbers (2010) .
|William Hill William Hill (bookmaker)||349||2370||(Alternatives: shop=betting (88x); shop=gambling (9x); )|
Source: shop numbers
- Blackwells (11x)
- Oxfam Books / Oxfam Bookshop (20x)
- The Works (35x) (Alternatives: shop=stationery (6x); )
- Waterstones / Waterstone's (132x)
- Argos (77x) (Alternatives: shop=department_store (46x); shop=yes (23x); shop=general (23x); shop=variety_store (13x); shop=supermarket (11x); )
- Argos Extra (9x) (Alternatives: shop=department_store (7x); )
- Age Concern (11x)
- Age UK (40x)
- Barnardos / Barnardo's (28x)
- British Heart Foundation (89x)
- British Red Cross (8x)
- Cancer Research / Cancer Research UK (73x)
- Charity Shop (6x)
- Mind (16x)
- Oxfam (95x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (10x); shop=books (8x); )
- PDSA (20x)
- RSPCA (24x)
- Salvation Army / The Salvation Army (14x)
- Scope (32x)
- Sense (9x)
- Sue Ryder / Sue Ryder Care (50x)
- The Children's Society (13x)
- YMCA (16x)
- Boots (128x) (Alternatives: shop=optician (17x); shop=pharmacy (9x); shop=health_and_beauty (7x); )
- Lloyds Pharmacy (18x)
- Savers (12x) (Alternatives: shop=convenience (5x); shop=yes (5x); )
- Superdrug (83x) (Alternatives: shop=beauty (7x); shop=yes (5x); )
- Cartridge World (8x)
- Game (18x) (Alternatives: shop=video_games (16x); shop=computer_games (7x); shop=game (5x); )
- PC World (50x) (Alternatives: shop=electronics (5x); )
- Hotel Chocolat (16x)
- Thorntons (40x)
- Hobbycraft (8x)
- BHS (56x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (20x); )
- Boyes (13x)
- Debenhams (74x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (8x); )
- House of Fraser (16x)
- John Lewis (25x)
- Marks and Spencer / Marks & Spencer / M&S (142x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (86x); shop=convenience (26x); shop=clothes (22x); )
- The Range (7x) (Alternatives: shop=doityourself (6x); shop=variety_store (6x); )
- Wilkinson / Wilkinsons (31x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (16x); shop=doityourself (15x); shop=variety_store (12x); shop=hardware (10x); )
- B & Q / B&Q (242x) (Alternatives: shop=garden_centre (5x); )
- Focus (13x)
- Homebase (207x) (Alternatives: shop=hardware (8x); )
- Jewson / Jewsons (31x) (Alternatives: shop=trade (14x); shop=hardware (8x); )
- Screwfix (35x) (Alternatives: shop=hardware (11x); )
- Topps Tiles (21x) (Alternatives: shop=tiles (11x); )
- Travis Perkins (24x) (Alternatives: shop=trade (14x); )
- Wickes (132x)
- Johnsons (24x)
- Bright House (8x)
- CeX / CEX (14x)
- Comet (17x) (Alternatives: shop=hifi (6x); ) WRONG CHECK. All stores closed Dec 2012 when chain went into administration
- Currys (82x) (Alternatives: shop=hifi (10x); shop=electrical (6x); ) Larger Currys are rebranded as Currys PC World.
- Currys PC World (26x) (Alternatives: shop=computer (5x); ).
- Maplin / Maplin Electronics / Maplins (44x) (Alternatives: shop=hifi (5x); )
- Sony Centre (10x)
- The Flower Shop (14x)
- The Co-operative Funeralcare (17x)
- Card Factory (45x) (Alternatives: shop=card (15x); shop=cards (9x); shop=stationery (6x); )
- Cards Galore (14x)
- Clinton Cards (33x) (Alternatives: shop=cards (8x); shop=stationery (7x); shop=card (6x); )
- Clintons (11x)
- Hallmark (12x) (Alternatives: shop=card (5x); )
- Oliver Bonas (5x)
- A Cut Above (13x)
- Barbers (12x)
- Barber Shop / The Barber Shop (52x)
- Clippers (14x)
- Headmasters (14x)
- Reflections (4x)
- Rush Hair (14x)
- Studio One (10x)
- Supercuts (17x)
- The Cutting Room (12x)
- The Salon (21x)
- Toni & Guy (41x)
- HSS Hire (3x)
- Machine Mart (7x) (Alternatives: shop=doityourself (6x); )
- Robert Dyas (16x) (Alternatives: shop=doityourself (13x); )
- Wilko (5x)
- Hidden Hearing (9x)
- Bang & Olufsen (12x)
- Richer Sounds (19x)
- Ernest Jones (24x)
- F Hinds / F. Hinds (24x)
- Goldsmiths (16x)
- H Samuel / H. Samuel (46x) (Alternatives: shop=jewellery (5x); )
- Pandora (16x)
- Warren James (10x)
- Lakeland (5x)
- Magnet (12x)
- Launderette / Laundrette (54x)
- Dalton Park (16x)
- 3 / 3 Store / Three (57x)
- Carphone Warehouse / The Carphone Warehouse (172x) (Alternatives: shop=electronics (9x); shop=phone (6x); shop=telephone (5x); )
- EE (71x)
- Orange (27x) CHECK
- T-Mobile (12x) CHECK - stores rebranded to EE, and some closed due to duplication in the same area
- O2 (98x)
- Phones4U / Phones 4U / Phones 4 U (62x) CHECK, chain in receivership, all shops closed.
- Virgin Media (9x)
- Vodafone (67x)
- HMV (48x)
- News Shop (11x)
- WHSmith / W H Smith / WH Smith / WH Smiths (108x) (Alternatives: shop=books (96x); shop=stationery (41x); shop=convenience (28x); )
- Boots Opticians (35x)
- Optical Express (29x)
- Scrivens (14x)
- Specsavers (105x)
- Vision Express (50x)
- Blacks (28x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (6x); )
- Cotswold / Cotswold Outdoor (24x)
- Go Outdoors (18x)
- Millets (15x)
- Mountain Warehouse (30x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (6x); )
- Trespass (15x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (7x); )
- Yeomans (7x)
- Cash Converters (17x)
- Cash Generator (13x)
- Cheque Centre (4x)
- H&T Pawnbrokers (15x)
- The Money Shop (16x) (Alternatives: shop=money_lender (15x); shop=cash (11x); )
- The Perfume Shop (14x)
- Pets at Home / Pets At Home (106x)
- Jessops (10x) (Alternatives: shop=electronics (5x); )
- Max Spielmann (9x) (Alternatives: shop=photo_studio (5x); )
- Snappy Snaps (13x) (Alternatives: shop=photography (6x); )
- Decathlon (10x)
- JD / JD Sports (33x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (21x); )
- JJB Sports (19x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (8x); )
- Sports Direct (70x) (Alternatives: shop=clothes (15x); )
- Paperchase (17x)
- Ryman / Rymans (64x)
- Staples (58x) Staples no longer operate in the UK, the stores were sold to Hilco for a nominal sum and have been rebranded as Office Outlet
- Office Outlet
- Early Learning Centre (14x)
- The Entertainer (14x)
- Toys R Us (33x)
- First Choice (14x)
- Flight Centre (34x)
- The Co-operative Travel (23x)
- Thomas Cook (84x)
- Thompson / Thomson (76x) Thomson are in the process of rebranding as TUI, the name Thomson should disappear from the High Street.
- Trailfinders (9x)
Variety stores Variety store sell goods from a selected (often diverse) range of categories, usually at competitive prices. The archetype in the UK was Woolworths, with Wilko (formerly branded as Wilkinson) probably the most familiar chain in the format today. Most of the examples given below could probably be better tagged as shop=discount as they have a) fixed prices; b) ranging is highly variable and opportunistic. Undoubtedly there is cross-over, but the range of tag values found in Oct-2014 suggest that this is an area which people find difficult to classify. In practice all shop=discount could be regarded as a subset of variety stores.
- 99p Store / 99p Stores (18x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (7x); )
- B&M / B&M Bargains (16x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (14x); shop=yes (7x); shop=department_store (6x); )
- Poundland (54x) (Alternatives: shop=convenience (15x); shop=supermarket (11x); shop=discount (11x); shop=yes (7x); )
- Poundstretcher / Pound Stretcher (24x) (Alternatives: shop=supermarket (10x); shop=discount (5x); )
- Poundworld (8x)
- Blockbuster / Blockbuster Video (46x) . Almost certainly far too many as most stores closed when Blockbuster went into Administration. CHECK
- Name Suggestion Index, for a canonical list of commonly used names on OSM