This page is intended to collect all ideas concerning indoor mapping activities.
- 1 Active indoor maps
- 2 Use cases
- 3 Indoor map projects
- 4 Communication
- 5 Talks
- 6 Tagging
- 7 Rendering
- 8 Routing
- 9 Devices / Technologies
- 10 Projects
- 11 Challenges
- 12 Examples
- 12.1 Austria
- 12.2 Colombia
- 12.3 Costa Rica
- 12.4 Ecuador
- 12.5 France
- 12.6 Germany
- 12.7 Japan
- 12.8 Panamá
- 12.9 Philippines
- 12.10 Spain
- 12.11 Switzerland
- 12.12 Taiwan
- 12.13 Ukraine
- 12.14 United States
Active indoor maps
|Screenshot||Indoor mapping tool||Developer||Licence||Latest version||Release date||Official website|
|OpenLevelUp||PanierAvide||AGPL 3||v3.0 alpha||?||http://openlevelup.net/|
|OpenStationMap||Roland Wagner, Roland Olbricht||?||?||?||http://www.openstationmap.org/|
Indoor maps or information can be used for various applications, e.g.
- Indoor Navigation/Routing
- 3D Visualization
- 2D Maps
- Public Participation
- Emergency response
- Interested Amenities Display (e.g. Toilets, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Box)
for different venues, e.g.
- Train and subway stations
- Shopping Malls
- multi storey parking decks
- other public buildings
The indoor/use cases page contains a list of venue use case examples, with sample maps from the venues.
Indoor map projects
Currently these users are working on indoor-related topics:
- AddICT Compound facility (CompoundFacility)
- Gomar1985 Indoor Proposal (IndoorOSM), Rendering of multi-level building maps in 2D (http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de/) and 3D, Indoor Routing/Navigation (http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de/)
- andreas.balzer Extension and aggregation of indoor proposals, see andreas.balzer, Rendering (own render engine in C#, yet to be published), Routing (modified OsmSharp)
- Xianlin NUS Indoor Map, Singapore
- AeroSuch Co-founder of indoor mapping startup BuildingLayer. Maintains Indoor Navigation Market spreadsheet.
- Sutter Working on an indoor map editor Termite This effort has been discontinued.
- Mdiener (Michael Diener) Founder of indoor mapping and indoor routing based on open source software indrz find us on GITHUB at https://github.com/indrz/indrz
- Overflorian Indoor mapping of train stations over the Paris area Open Data SNCF
- TagaSanPedroAko Mostly doing indoor mapping of malls around south Metro Manila, especially Muntinlupa.
- PanierAvide Creator of OpenLevelUp and iD-indoor, also contributing to indoor in France.
- rolandmwagner Roland Wagner, initiator of OpenStationMap, also mapped NYC Grand Central Station, Chicago Union, Sydney Central, Tokyo Ueno, Prague Central, Amsterdam Central, Portland / OR Union, Berlin Hauptbahnhof, London,...
- Exatomos Started indoor mapping of ULB "Plaine" university campus in Brussels.
There is now a new subforum for Indoor-Mapping:
Let's try to increase the communication in this project. --Andi 12:03, 3 October 2012 (BST)
- State of the Map 2016
- FOSSGIS 2012: http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/2012/programm/events/468.de.html
For the current consensus see Simple Indoor Tagging. The tags below may be outdated or no longer used.
Tags in use
Please see Tagging above for more detailed information
- level=n - indicates floor level; interpretation of the values varies (see key page)
- <n> is usually an integer number, sometimes also one or two characters, sometimes combined (e.g. A,B,C,1,2,3).
- in any case, <n> should be ascending (towards the sky).
- in some cultures base level is indicated by level 0, in other cultures ground floor is level 1 (or A).
- there are also usages reported where fraction numbers are used (e.g. level=2.5) indicating a "mezzanine" or "intermediate level" (e.g. intermediate stairway platforms).
- room=yes - see key wiki page for additional values to describe the type more detailed
- entrance=yes - room or building entrance
- capacity=* - the occupant capacity of a room, storey, building or part of a building defined as the maximum number of persons it is designed to hold
- highway=corridor - indoor ways
- indoor=yes - indicates any osm object being inside a room, a building (or both) or a shelter.
Taging proposals more concerned with the 3D shape of the building
Previous tagging proposals
for current one see above.
There are also some abandoned and inactive proposals (oldest last):
An Overpass API based renderer is available : OpenLevelUp
- The altitude value of GPS devices could be used to identify in which level of a parking multi storey a car is located.
Devices / Technologies
- High sensitivity GPS device
- Step counter
- Acceleration sensor
- Counting the number of wheel turns in cars / Tachometer
- Counting the number of floor tiles
- Audio footprint for rooms
- Laser rangefinder (e.g. Hector SLAM )
Indoor actives related to OSM: (please add new ones at the top)
- indrz.com https://github.com/indrz/indrz Open Source backend (Django python web framework) to manage indoor data for buildings, rooms spaces
- iD-indoor (projets.pavie.info/id-indoor/) - A web indoor editor based on iD, with indoor dedicated features (level filtering, specific map and presets).
- BE-free@campus: Barriers and Exclusion-free at campus - A personal assisted navigation to disabled people within the Polytechnic of Bari facilities of the university campus.
- http://www.openstationmap.org for (Railway) Stations including the indoors with the Simple Indoor Tagging, but also extensions, e.g. for doors and for stairwells (steps). Example stations are Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Sydney Central or Tokyo Ueno JR Station.
- http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de indoorOSM project from OSM data - a project of the University of Heidelberg
- FootPath, infrastructureless indoor navigation on OSM data for smart phones (Android) at COMSYS, RWTH Aachen University video
- OSMTools Indoor: http://osmtools.org/indoor/#lat=51.09447&lon=17.01945&z=18
- Fork of the previous one : https://github.com/clement-lagrange/osmtools-indoor ; demo here : http://clement-lagrange.github.io/osmtools-indoor/ ; fully functional indoor building browser, js only.
Former, inactive and on hold projects:
- Richard Atterer's Leadme project A spare time project by Richard Atterer for home made indoor mapping.
- Termite - an editor specialized for indoor maps. This has been discontinued.
- http://andreas-hubel.de/ba/demo/ levelable indoor maps from OSM data implemented with Kothic JS
demo currently offline.See http://andreas-hubel.de/ba/ for implementation details and screenshots. There is also a virtual server image available which contains all software needed to run the demo. --Saerdnaer 19:35, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- It's now online again. See this screencast for more information (german): http://youtu.be/OSxU99sp0Gc --Andi 11:40, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
- OpenCaveMap project under construction, need volunteers. It's caving mapping Opencavemap.org and all other underground places
Activities outside OSM where moved to Indoor/Projects
There is a discussion of challenges of adding indoor maps to OSM at Challenges for Indoor Maps.
List of places with indoor coverage. This list could be removed if there was a sufficiently usable map which allowed users to view which areas had indoor tagging from a very high zoom level.
San José Province
|Indre-et-Loire||Chenonceaux||Château de Chenonceau on OpenLevelUp! on OSM on OSM.cz|
|Loir-et-Cher||Talcy||Château de Talcy on OpenLevelUp! on OSM on OSM.cz |
|Nord||Villeneuve d'Ascq||Bâtiments du LIFL IRCICA|
|Nord||Villeneuve d'Ascq||Bâtiments du LIFL M3|
|Nord||Villeneuve d'Ascq||Bâtiments du LIFL M3 extension|
|Paris||Paris 1er||TGI (partial for tourism)|
|Paris||Paris Vème||ENS - Rue d'Ulm|
|Paris||Paris Xème||"Gare du Nord" (3D)|
|Paris||Paris XIIème||"Gare de Lyon" (3D)|
|Paris||Paris XIIIème||"Bibliothèque François Mitterrand" train station|
|Paris||Paris XVème||ECE-Paris (Eiffel 2)|
|Puy-de-Dôme||Clermont Ferrand||Centre Jaude on OpenLevelUp! on OSM on OSM.cz|
|Rhone||Lyon 3ème||Gare de la Part-Dieu (3D)|
|Rhone||Lyon 3ème||Halle Paul Bocuse (OpenLevelUp)|
|Seine-et-Marne||Maincy||Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte|
|Val-de-Marne||Thiais||Centre commercial "Belle Épine"|
|Yvelines||Vélizy-Villacoublay||Centre commercial "Vélizy 2"|
- TUM Mathematics/Computer Science Department: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.262437&lon=11.667689&zoom=18
- Marienplatz: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.1374683976173&lon=11.5761378407478&zoom=18
- Karlsplatz (Stachus): https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.13948&lon=11.566149&zoom=18
- Hauptbahnhof: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.141162&lon=11.56094&zoom=18
- Dreiflüsse-Einkaufzentrum https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.563378&lon=13.431078&zoom=18&layers=M
- Institut of Geography https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.418434&lon=8.677004&zoom=18&layers=M
- bcc Berliner Congress Center https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.520765&lon=13.416662&zoom=18
- RWTH Computer Science Center Hörn: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.778845&lon=6.060025&zoom=18&layers=M
- RWTH UMIC Research Center: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.778834&lon=6.065266&zoom=18&layers=M
- Technische Universität Ilmenau, Campus https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.682884&lon=10.937887&zoom=18&layers=M
- Futako Tamagawa rise
- Shibuya Hikarie
- AKASAKA Biz Tower
- San Pablo City, Laguna
- SM City San Pablo https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.071238&lon=121.30207&zoom=18
- SM Center Muntinlupa (nearly complete) https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/14.37726/121.04488
- Starmall Alabang (updated, but partially complete) https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/14.41706/121.04620
- Batangas City
- SM City Batangas (partially complete, need more place nodes) https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/13.75568/121.06882
- Universidad Pública de Navarra - Aulario in OSM in OpenLevelUp!
- Universidad Pública de Navarra - Biblioteca in OSM in OpenLevelUp!
- HSR Hochschule für Technik https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.2232387959957&lon=8.81700843572617&zoom=18
New Taipei City
- Shopping mall "Jazz" https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.944006&lon=38.493187&zoom=18&layers=M