This information is outdated. Please see Foundation/Local Chapters
The Foundation are currently looking into establishing a framework which will allow local groups to federate themselves to the OSM-F. The process is being lead by Nickb.
Nick's summary of the goals of such federation are. Please note this is a working document, not a final proposal:
- To promote the mission of the OSM-F amongst local and special interest groups
- To provide a legal entity under which local or special interest groups can operate
- To support the development of OpenStreetMap communities around the world
Roadmap and Timeline
- Research and proposal phase - up to Nov 2008 - OSM-F put together a proposal which describes what a federated OSM-F group would look like
- Initial consultation phase - Nov - Dec 2008 - Initial consultation with a small group of potential local groups. To be included in this phase of consultation, please email nick (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Draft Federation Agreement published - End 2008 - A draft agreement will be published and made available for approval of OSM-F members to approve. The OSM-F Board will seek agreement from the OSM-F membership, and publish a final proposal.
- Initial Chapters Federated - Early 2009 - The first chapters are expected to be federated to the OSM-F
Initial consultation phase
A list of contacts who are being consulted will be published here once they have been notified (target 31st Oct)