WikiProject United Kingdom
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to the United Kingdom.
The OpenStreetMap community in the UK is multi-layered. At the national level it includes a non-profit company (see osmuk.org) which is also is a registered Local Chapter of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. Established in December 2016, the company aims to support OpenStreetMap efforts in the UK. More informally we also have an active community participating in discussions on a GB mailing list (historic archive) and an IE & NI mailing list (historic archive).
We also have a few regional groups with active online and in-person communities. Details of both the national and regional groups can be found by following the links below:
We aim to make top quality geo-data available as widely as possible. Contributors are therefore encouraged to get involved in any area that interests them, be that mapping footpaths or turn restrictions, or helping to develop the wiki documentation or system tools.
If you are however looking for some inspiration check out
The UK Quarterly Projects — a quarterly, announced focus on improving a type of data coverage
Find Out More
The following links provide information on map projects in the UK
- Urban Mapping:
- Transport Network:
- Boundaries and Land Areas:
- Historic Britain Historic places in the British Isles.
- United Kingdom local councils How can they use OSM and feed back into it?
Third party data
In addition to the world-wide data sources, the following are available specifically for mapping in the UK. Please note that their accuracy varies and therefore where possible we prefer ground-truthed data (e.g. collected by GPS survey)
- Ordnance Survey (Great Britain only)
- National Library of Scotland (not limited to Scotland)
- Retail stores: Companies that have kindly given permission for branch data to be copied from their websites on to OSM. Do not use images/logos. Before adding to this list get confirmation in writing.
- Environment Agency:
- English Environment Agency LIDAR (terrain and building height data)
- Emu Analytics:
- Network rail:
- History of the discussions that got us to establishing the UK non-profit company.
- WikiProject England
- WikiProject Northern Ireland
- WikiProject Scotland
- WikiProject Wales
- WikiProject Ireland
- WikiProject Isle of Man
- UK Road Relations