WikiProject United Kingdom
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to the United Kingdom.
The OpenStreetMap community in the UK is multi-layered. At the national level it includes a non-profit company OSMUK (osmuk.org) which is also is a registered Local Chapter of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. Established in December 2016, the company aims to support OpenStreetMap efforts in the UK. More informally we also have an active community participating in discussions on a GB mailing list (historic archive) and an IE & NI mailing list (historic archive).
We also have a few regional groups with active online and in-person communities. Details of both the national and regional groups can be found by following the links below:
|IE & NI|
|OSM London||Mappa Mercia||OSM Scotland||Nottingham|
We aim to make top quality geo-data available as widely as possible. Contributors are therefore encouraged to get involved in any area that interests them, be that mapping footpaths or turn restrictions, or helping to develop the wiki documentation or system tools.
If you are however looking for some inspiration check out
The UK Quarterly Projects — a quarterly, announced focus on improving a type of data coverage
Find out more
The following links provide information on map projects in the UK
- Urban Mapping:
- Transport Network:
- Boundaries and Land Areas:
- Historic Britain Historic places in the British Isles.
- United Kingdom local councils How can they use OSM and feed back into it?
Third party data
In addition to the world-wide data sources, the following are available specifically for mapping in the UK. Please note that their accuracy varies and therefore where possible we prefer ground-truthed data (e.g. collected by GPS survey)
- Ordnance Survey (Great Britain only)
- National Library of Scotland (not limited to Scotland)
- Retail stores: Companies that have kindly given permission for branch data to be copied from their websites on to OSM. Do not use images/logos. Before adding to this list get confirmation in writing.
- Environment Agency:
- English Environment Agency LIDAR (terrain and building height data)
- Network rail:
- Post Offices
- Natural England England only
- OGL data for National Parks, Local and National Nature Reserves, Commons
- Food Hygiene Rating System
- Name, address, and other Information for thousands of food handling businesses across the United Kingdom.
- Public Rights of Way (Footpaths, bridleways, etc)
- Some UK Councils have released PROW (Public Rights of Way) data under OGLv3 licence. See UK 2018 Q3 Project: Paths and rights of way#Useful Tools, see also UK access provisions
- Electric Car Charging Stations