WikiProject United Kingdom
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to the United Kingdom.
The UK have a very strong history in OSM: OpenStreetMap itself was started here in 2004 by Steve Coast; The very first mapping party was held in Limehouse, London 2005; and we have been host to 2 SotM conferences: State Of The Map 2007 and State Of The Map 2013.
At the national level OSMUK (osmuk.org) is a non-profit company and registered Local Chapter of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. OSMUK's roles are to act as a focus for community, be a financial entity, give the community representation at national level infrastructure meetings, run regional events, and provide advice and assistance to organisations and companies wishing to add to or use OpenStreetMap. They maintain a Talent Directory for professional and voluntary service providers.
There are 4 regional groups with active online and regular monthly in-person meetups:
|IE & NI|
|OSM London||Mappa Mercia||OSM Scotland||Nottingham|
Contributors are encouraged to get involved in any area that interests them (and write up appropriate information in this wiki). The UK Quarterly Projects — a quarterly, announced focus on improving a type of data coverage are used to pull the community together, build new tools, and generate UK-specific tagging guidelines.
- wiki documentation for United Kingdom pages:
- Locate all UK pages under a United Kingdom category. COMPLETE
- Get all pages up-to-date. ONGOING 2019
- Have dead pages removed. ONGOING 2019
- Clarify/state page naming convention
- Define process for adopting a page as United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines
- UK Quarterly Projects
- system tools
- Urban Mapping:
- United Kingdom bridge heights
- United Kingdom long distance paths
- United Kingdom waterways
- Renewable energy in the United Kingdom ACTIVE 2018
- Road relations ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- Major railways ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- Minor railways ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- United Kingdom A and B roads NEEDS UPDATING
- United Kingdom motorways NEEDS UPDATING
- United Kingdom National Cycle Network (National and regional routes) ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- Neighbourhood Planning
- Monorails in the United Kingdom UPDATED 2018
- Boundaries and Land Areas:
- United Kingdom boundaries
- United Kingdom postcodes A project to map the postcodes in the UK
- National Parks
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and National Scenic Areas (NSA)
- Historic Britain Historic places in the British Isles.
- United Kingdom local councils How can they use OSM and feed back into it?
The map of the UK is mature but still has gaps in completeness.
Third party data
In addition to the world-wide data sources, the following are available specifically for mapping in the UK. Please note that their accuracy varies and therefore where possible we prefer ground-truthed data (e.g. collected by GPS survey)
- Ordnance Survey (Great Britain only)
- National Library of Scotland (not limited to Scotland)
- Retail stores: Companies that have kindly given permission for branch data to be copied from their websites on to OSM. Do not use images/logos. Before adding to this list get confirmation in writing.
- Environment Agency:
- English Environment Agency LIDAR (terrain and building height data)
- Network rail:
- Post Offices
- Natural England England only
- OGL data for National Parks, Local and National Nature Reserves, Commons
- Food Hygiene Rating System
- Name, address, and other Information for thousands of food handling businesses across the United Kingdom.
- Public Rights of Way (Footpaths, bridleways, etc)
- Some UK Councils have released PROW (Public Rights of Way) data under OGLv3 licence. See UK 2018 Q3 Project: Paths and rights of way#Useful Tools, see also UK access provisions
- Electric Car Charging Stations