|footway = sidewalk|
|Sidewalks as separate ways|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
- sidewalks under construction highway=construction + construction=footway
- combined footway and cycleway - highway=path + bicycle=designated + foot=designated + segregated=no.
This article describes the "separate way" approach to mapping sidewalks. Alternatively, especially if the sidewalk is just attached with a kerb, sidewalks may be mapped as properties on the motorized roads, see Sidewalks for details on this distinction.
How to map
See footway=* for usage instructions.
Possible tagging mistakes
- footway=* - Further refinement of footways
- sidewalk=* - Indicates the presence or absence of a sidewalk (pavement/footway)
- associatedStreet / street
- Proposed features/Sidewalk as separate way - approved proposal that introduced this tag
- comprehensive explanation for bicycle way tagging