United States/Public lands/Forest Service
This wiki page attempts to document the lands of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and their status in OpenStreetMap. It also includes information on how to tag USFS features.
As of 2021, there are 154 National Forests and 20 National Grasslands. The USFS manages 193 million acres (780,000 km2) of land, or about 8% of the U.S. land area. National Forests provide a vast array of recreational activities and they are visited by millions each year, making them an important part of OSM. The USFS also manages certain Wilderness Areas, Research Natural Areas, Special Biological Areas, National Recreation Areas, and National Wild & Scenic Rivers; most of these are located within a National Forest or Grassland.
Objectives for each forest
- If boundary isn't in OSM, add its ownership boundary if possible
- Convert existing national forest proclamation boundaries to ownership boundaries
- Standardize boundary tags, combine forest boundaries that are separated by ranger district
- Add facilities like campgrounds, cabins, picnic areas
- Add trails
- Add/improve road geometry
- Create a wiki page for each forest, detailing the status of the forest and things within it