State of the Map
The State of the Map (SotM) conference is the annual, international conference of OpenStreetMap. Organised by the OpenStreetMap Foundation it has been held each year since 2007 (except 2015). There are also many other regional and local conferences named "State of the Map" (such as SotM-Asia, SotM-Africa, SotM-US and others). Please note that these regional SotMs are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the OpenStreetMap Foundation.
The international State of the Map team have started to collate a planners guidebook to help with the organisation of OSM events. Take a look at /Planning.
Next State of the Map
|Year and wiki page||Logo||Dates||Location||Website||Group photo|
|2020||July 4 to 5||online||https://2020.stateofthemap.org/|
|2019||September 21 to 23||Heidelberg, Germany||https://2019.stateofthemap.org/|
|2018||July 28 to 30||Milan, Italy||http://2018.stateofthemap.org/|
|2017||August 18 to 20||Aizuwakamatsu, Japan||http://2017.stateofthemap.org/|
|2016||September 23 to 25||Brussels, Belgium||http://2016.stateofthemap.org/|
|2015||The 2015 conference was sadly cancelled due to some organisational problems.|
|2014||November 7 to 9||Buenos Aires, Argentina
(first time in Latin America)
|harrywood dev (pending deploy)|
|2013||September 6 to 8
|Birmingham, United Kingdom||http://2013.stateofthemap.org/|
|2012||September 6 to 8||Tokyo, Japan
(first time in Asia)
|2011||September 9 to 11
|Denver, United States
(first time in North America and outside Europe)
|2010||July 9 to 11||Girona, Spain||http://2010.stateofthemap.org/|
|2009||July 10 to 12||Amsterdam, Netherlands||http://2009.stateofthemap.org/|
|2008||July 12 to 13||Limerick, Ireland||http://2008.stateofthemap.org/|
|2007||July 14 to 15||Manchester, United Kingdom||https://2007.stateofthemap.org/|
These regional/local conferences are not organised by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. They are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the Foundation.
State of the Map Europe (SotM-EU)
- Karlsruhe, DE on 13-15 June 2014.
- Since 2011 was the first year that the international State of the Map conference was held outside Europe, the Europeans decided to hold a regional conference for those who are unable to attend the one in the United States. This was held in Vienna, AT on 15-17 July 2011.
State of the Map Baltics
State of the CZ+SK (Czech Republic and Slovalia)
State of the Map Southeast Europe
- The first State of the Map Southeast Europe took place on 25→27 October 2019 July in Prizen, Kosovo. https://sotmsee.org/
State of the Map France (SotM-FR)
- The sixth conference was held in Bordeaux from 1 to 3 June 2018.
- The fifth conference was held in Avignon on 2 to 4 June 2017.
- The fourth conference was held in Clermont-Ferrand on 20 to 22 May 2016.
- The third conference was held in Brest on 29 to 31 May 2015.
- The second conference was held in Paris on 4 to 6 April 2014.
- The first conference was held in Lyon on 23 and 24 February 2013.
State of the Map Polska (SotM-PL)
State of the Map Scotland
- After a break in 2014, the forth SotM Scotland was held in Edinburgh from October 2 to 3. The third day, consisting of a map maker day and tutorials for those new to Openstreetmap, is yet to be confirmed.
- The third SotM Scotland was held in Edinburgh on 11-12 October 2013. Followed by a hack day on 13 October.
- The second SotM Scotland was held in Edinburgh on 19-20 October 2012.
- The Scots held their first SotM local conference in Glasgow on 26-27 August 2011.
State of the Map Spain
State of the Map Suomi (Finland)
- SotM Suomi 2020 was organised on saturday Sep 26th 2020 in Helsinki.
FOSSGIS (German-speaking countries)
The Italian conference about OSM.
- 2018 - FOSS4G-IT
- The ninth conference will be held in Roma on 19-22 February, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia and FOSS4G-IT.
- 2017 - FOSS4G-IT
- The eighth conference was held in Genova, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia and FOSS4G-IT.
- The seventh conference was held in Milano, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia.
- The seventh conference was initially scheduled in Siena, but the event was cancelled.
- The sixth conference was held in Matera, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia.
- The fifth conference was held in Rovereto, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia.
- The fourth conference was held in Torino, in cooperation with Associazione per l'Informazione Geografica Libera GFOSS.it, Regione Piemonte, Università di Torino and CSI Piemonte
- The third conference was held in Padova, in cooperation with Centro di Ricerca Interdipartimentale di Cartografia, Fotogrammetria, Telerilevamento e SIT (CIRGEO) at the University of Padova
- The second conference was held in Genova, in cooperation with Laboratorio di Geodesia, Geomatica e GIS del Dipartimento di Ingegneria delle Costruzioni, dell'Ambiente e del Territorio (DICAT) della Facoltà di Ingegneria dell'Università degli Studi di Genova. 
- The first Italian conference was held in Trento, in cooperation with Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK). 
State of the Map Africa
- The second State of the Map Africa took place on 8-10 July in Kampala, Uganda. http://sotmafrica.org/
- The first State of the Map Africa took place on 21 November in Lomé, Togo.
State of the Map Cameroon
- The first State of the Map Cameroon took place on 1–3 December in Yaoundé, Centre, Cameroon. http://geomatique237.xyz/
State of the Map Tanzania
- The first State of the Map Tanzania took place on 8–10 December in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. https://stateofthemaptanzania.wordpress.com/
State of the Map U.S. (SotM-US)
- 2021 or 2022
- The tenth State of the Map U.S. will take place in Tucson, Arizona. Dates TBD.
- The ninth State of the Map U.S. took place on September 6-8 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- The eighth State of the Map U.S. took place on October 5-7 in Detroit, Michigan.
- The seventh State of the Map U.S. took place on October 20-22 in Boulder, Colorado.
- The sixth State of the Map U.S. took place on July 23-25 in Seattle, Washington.
- The fifth State of the Map U.S. took place on June 6-8 at United Nations in New York City.
- The fourth State of the Map U.S. took place on April 12-13 in Washington, DC.
- The third State of the Map U.S. took place on June 8-9 in San Francisco, California.
- The second State of the Map U.S. took place on October 13-14 in Portland, Oregon.
- There was no national conference in 2011 since the international State Of The Map took place that year in the United States.
- The first State of the Map U.S. took place on August 14-15 in Atlanta, Georgia.
State of the Map LatAm
- The fifth Latino-American conference is planned for November 14th Encarnación, Paraguay
- The fourth Latino-American conference was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina on 24-25 September 2018.
- The third Latino-American conference was held in Lima, Peru from 29 November 2017 to 2 December 2017.
- The second Latino-American conference was held in São Paulo, Brazil on 25-27 November 2016.
- The first Latino-American conference was held in Santiago, Chile on 4-6 September 2015.
State of the Map Argentina
- SotM Argentina 2019 will be held in Santa Fe, 12th October.
- SotM Argentina 2017 + FOSS4G was held in Buenos Aires on 23 October 2017.
State of the Map Asia (SotM-A)
State of the Map Asia was born after the success of the international SotM conference 2012 in Tokyo. The conference is organised by local OpenStreetMap communities and focuses on themes and contents that are current to the region.
- Bangladesh is planning for the fifth Asian conference in Dhaka, on 1-2 November 2019.
- The fourth Asian conference will take place in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, on 17-18 November 2018.
- The third Asian conference took place in Kathmandu, Nepal, on 23-24 September 2017.
- The second Asian conference happened in the heart of Manila, Philippines on 1-2 October 2016. Organized by the OpenStreetMap Philippines community, in cooperation with Visions Asia of Japan.
- The first official SotM Asia in Jakarta, Indonesia.
State of the Map Japan
- There was no national conference in 2017 since the international State Of The Map took place that year in Japan.
- The third conference was held on 6 August in Akabane, Tokyo. https://stateofthemap.jp/2016/
- The second conference was held on 31 October in Hamamastu, Shizuoka. https://stateofthemap.jp/2015/
- The first State of the Map Japan took place on 13 December in Tokyo. https://stateofthemap.jp/2014/
- There was no national conference in 2012 since the international State Of The Map took place that year in Japan.
State of the Map Myanmar
- The first State of the Map Myanmar took place on 12 January in Mandalay. https://www.facebook.com/SotMMyanmar/
State of the Map Philippines
- A "State of the Map: Philippines" track is included in the 2019 Pista ng Mapa conference program.
State of the Map Taiwan
- The first State of the Map Taiwan took place on 18 September in Taipei.
State of the Map Oceania
- The second State of the Map conference in Oceania will take place as a joint event with FOSS4G Oceania on 12-15 November in Wellington, New Zealand. https://2019.foss4g-oceania.org/