This page contains information on the map features used in Iceland in both English and Icelandic. It is meant to compliment the main map features page by documenting and establishing conventions for tagging in Iceland.
In case of doubt ask on the talk-is mailing list.
National highway system
This is how the ways themselves should be tagged:
- highway=* tag:
- highway=trunk - Route 1; Route 1 is a Stofnvegur but is tagged as highway=trunk due to its significance as a trunk road covering the entire country.
- highway=primary - Stofnvegur (Icelandic: Trunk road)
- highway=secondary - Tengivegur (Icelandic: Connecting road)
- highway=tertiary - Landsvegur (Icelandic: Country road)
- highway=tertiary - Safnvegur (Icelandic: Collection road) in urban and suburban areas
- highway=tertiary - Héraðsvegur (Icelandic: County road) the colloquial name for roads with no other classification
- The road network applicable for this way: S for Stofnvegur, T for Tengivegur, L for Landsvegur and H for Héraðsvegur
- name=* - The name of the road, e.g. Hringvegur
- ref=* - The refererence number for the road, e.g. 1
- network=* - The network as explained above. In cases where a highway has multiple network classifications enter a semicolon-delimited list of applicable networks, e.g. S;T for a way that's both Stofnvegur and Tengivegur, see Biskpustungnabraut / Kjalvegur for an example.
See the relation for Route 1 for an example.
These relations should be added to the Wikipedia article on the national highway system so that we have a list of what we've finished somewhere.
Except in the case of urban roads maintained as part of the national highway system (e.g. Arnarnesvegur) there is no existing classification system we can work with, so we make up a classification based on the size & importance of the road to the rest of the road system.
- highway=primary - The biggest routes around town, e.g. Miklabraut and Kringlumýrabraut Höfuðborgarsvæðið
- highway=secondary - Major connecting routes around town, e.g. Snorrabraut and Bústaðavegur
- highway=tertiary - Minor connecting routes around town, mainly used for streets within landuse=residential that connect residential streets but aren't residential streets themselves. E.g. Strandvegur in Grafarvogur
- highway=unclassified - There seems to be no clear convention on what highway=unclassified should be used for. It seems to be used for interconnecting roads where highway=tertiary might otherwise have been used, e.g. and residential-like or service-like streets that aren't part of a residential areas.
Weather survey stations
- name=* (e.g. name=Hafnarfjall for the Hafnarfjall survey station)
- website=* - The website for the survey station, e.g. http://www.vegagerdin.is/umferd-og-faerd/faerd-og-astand/faerd-og-vedur/vesturland/linurit/st012.html
- taginfo - Shows what tagging is actually being used