|highway = steps|
|For flights of steps on footways and paths.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
For flights of steps on footways and paths.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- step_count=* can be added to indicate the number of steps, useful especially for cases where number of steps is low and sparse. It indicates in such cases that steps are less significant obstacle than indicated just by their length.
- handrail=* can be used to specify where the handrail is located.
- tactile_paving=yes/(no)/incorrect if there is a paving on both ends of the steps that can be found with a blind person's stick.
- tactile_writing=yes/no indicates whether there is tactile writing available at the handrail(s) of the steps.
- surface=* indicates the surface.
- ramp=* indicates whether a ramp is available.
- level=* the floor levels connected or passed through by the stairs (e.g. at stations)
- level=0;1 between the ground floor and the 1st floor
- width=* width in meters
- name=* add if the steps have a special name
- flat_steps=* a tag to express that the steps are actually flat enough to be driven on (e.g. 1 step every meter)
- Do not use access=yes (it applies to all transport modes), if you want to tag steps as generally accessible to pedestrians the best solution is to not set any access tags.
Following examples are with full steps-specific tagging. There are also other tags such as surface=*, lit=* etc not mentioned here. It is also fine to tag just highway=steps and leave detail for others.
- Proposed features/Access Ramp is a proposal for tagging independent ramps from 2008-03-06
- Proposed features/Steps features for additional tags describing steps from 2009-04-23 (some of these tags are in common use by now, some are replaced by others)
- Relations/Proposed/Area#Area-steps is a proposal for mapping area steps from 2009-12-02
- Stairs modelling some ideas regarding 3D modelling (and improvements for the 2D rendering of more complex cases of stairs) from 2014
- Proposed features/Area-steps is a proposal for mapping area steps from 2015-03-04
- MENTZ GmbH – proposals for indoor modelling of steps (first version from 2016)
- area:highway=steps – An area representation of a highway=steps which is separately mapped with a linear way.
- ladder=* – This tag indicates the presence of a ladder.
Possible tagging mistakes